Need help/info about fishing St. Petersburg

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I'm going to St Pete for a vacation in January. Rented a nice house 4 houses from the beach.

I've never fished in shallow water like they do in Tampa Bay, and would appreciate anything anyone could tell me about gear I should bring, recourses for fishing info on the area and what I need for licenses. I'm driving down and want to bring my own gear.

Thanks a lot in advance

Bill

I don't fish much, but if I were you, I would contact a local fishing guide.

Even if you don't plan on using one, they may be able to give you some free advice. Especially if they think they can change your mind about hiring their services.

When I lived in FL I did some flats fishing. Really, you need a guide
with a flats boat. You will have much more fun, and not thump the
prop on your boat (been there, done that, NOT pretty).

Yeah, I plan to have a few days of guided fishing, both deep water off the Keys, and the shallows around Tampa Bay. Maybe even so guided Tarpon fishing in Tampa Bay,which is pretty good fishing.

I guess I'm wondering if I should bother with my Striiped bass rod with the Calcutta reel, or just stick with light, and heavy spinning gear. I hate using a rod I haven't fished with for awhile.

I'll get Tackle/bait info from locals. I'll look for a 14 year old kid from the area. If they are anything like I was at 14, they'll know all the spots and tricks.

Boston Patriot.... LOL.... wish I could Bud!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom