• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help with a BB gun.

In God We Trust

NES Member
My sons 9th birthday is coming up and I’d like to get him a BB gun. I live in MA and nobody will ship here that I can find. I’m about a half hour from Nashua though and could use some suggestions as to places and models. Price isn’t really an object, but I don’t want something really dangerous. Just plinking cans and such.

At that age I'd start with a multi-pump pneumatic. CO2 is costly and decently powerful, go there in a few years. Break barrel and single pumps are going to be difficult for a 9 year old and decently powerful as well, think 800-1200 FPS. The multi-pump gives you a progressive power curve and resistance. You can grab a Daisy powerline for under $100 and most of those will shoot BB's and pellets if you don't want ricochets. Otherwise, just grab a Red Ryder.

Bass Pro

At that age I'd start with a multi-pump pneumatic. CO2 is costly and decently powerful, go there in a few years. Break barrel and single pumps are going to be difficult for a 9 year old and decently powerful as well, think 800-1200 FPS. The multi-pump gives you a progressive power curve and resistance. You can grab a Daisy powerline for under $100 and most of those will shoot BB's and pellets if you don't want ricochets. Otherwise, just grab a Red Ryder.

Bass Pro
You make some good points. Multi pumps are probably a good way to go. Red riders were fun but hard to pump. When I was young I had to put the stock against my leg for leverage on a red ryder.

Pyramid Air and Airgun Depot ship....

My wife put my BB gun under the tree last year from Airgun Depot:

legends-m1a1-bb-rifle_1603915162.jpg

My sons 9th birthday is coming up and I’d like to get him a BB gun. I live in MA and nobody will ship here that I can find. I’m about a half hour from Nashua though and could use some suggestions as to places and models. Price isn’t really an object, but I don’t want something really dangerous. Just plinking cans and such.

are you looking for a back yard plinker or something to promote marksmanship.

plan a trip to the Heritage museum if its open and make a pit stop here if open. Has a range and im sure you can try a few.

The CMP has reconditioned 10m air rifles that are great for basement/halway/backyards single pump target rifle.

1629169166681.png

Last edited:
You make some good points. Multi pumps are probably a good way to go. Red riders were fun but hard to pump. When I was young I had to put the stock against my leg for leverage on a red ryder.
red ryders are hard to pump, trigger really sucks and inaccurate has heck! They can be fun. I still bonce cans around from time to time.

I still have a Crossman American classic from when I was the op's son's age. I'll never forget when we were living in South Dakota, dad showed me that pumping it, and not putting in a pellet would explode gigantic cockroaches and spiders. I still see them in walmart, bass pro, and cabelas.
also, the price seems to never change on them. Lots of memories of shooting bb's, pellets, and darts at a cheap dartboard we found at a yard sale.
Amazon product ASIN B00TEACFXWView: https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-P1377BR-American-177-Caliber-Pneumatic/dp/B00TEACFXW

Any thoughts on airsoft? My kid plays as to a pile of his friends. Seriously legit looking and operating guns replaced the roman candles and bottle rockets I used when I was his age.
I had a lit of fun with a air soft pistol
Beretta 92 clone. Set up some carboard cut outs of various critters and random spots.
Shot about 2/3 through a large box of pellets and the pistol crapped out.
My friends son is deep into airsoft and was traveling all over for big matches.
I helped him crony and dial in his “sniper”
I was impressed how accurate it was. He was hitting 3” plates at 50 yards with boring consistency.

I agree with the Daisy Buck. LOP is better suited to kids that age. I have a Red Ryder and it is much too long LOP for my 9 year old grand daughter and 7 year old twins. I got a Daisy Buck and they do much better with it. $17 at Walmart. Can’t go wrong .

If you find something you want, but the vendor won't ship to MA, recall that you can always ship to a UPS store over the border...

Versatile platform
CO2 sucks
Pcp are a tad expensive for first go around.
Not a lot in the smaller sizes either.
Meh … I’d agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong 😜 .

Single lever cocking for a kid w/ a BB gun is the way to go …

Meh … I’d agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong 😜 .

Single lever cocking for a kid w/ a BB gun is the way to go …
Yeah , torture a kid with one of those POS!
Im certain my dad would have not started me on the RedRyder if we had todays options

Just buy him a 20ga single shot... and a Ruger 10/22 1FEDA978-336A-41DC-9030-7CDBB3D8D6B9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom