Need help with some reloading equipment research

Hi guys,

I’m hoping ya’ll can help me out with a little math/research that I just haven’t been able to figure out myself. Basically, I want to figure out what I need and how much it’s going to cost to setup my reloading press to reload a new caliber.

I currently have a Dillon 650XL, including the automatic case feed, setup to load .45ACP. I want to start loading .223. I also want to use one of those quick change kits that allow you to simply remove the toolhead to change calibers.

Can you guys help me make a list of the new parts I’m going to need (dies, conversion kit, disk for case feed assembly, etc) and the prices, if you can find them?

Thanks fellas!

-TD

Caliber conversion.

Tony, Dillon has all of this stuff on-line at https://www.dillonprecision.com/
Exactly what you asked for is found here;

https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23804/catid/2/XL_650_Caliber_Conversion_Kit

XL 650 Caliber Conversion Kit
Stock Number: XL 650 Caliber C
Includes shellplate, locator buttons, powder funnel and casefeed adapter parts. available in most calibers; please specify caliber desired.

The individual pieces are listed here;
https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Caliber_Conversion_Kit_individual_parts-8-34.html

Cheers

You can also go to www.Brianenos.com . The site walks you though what you will need to change calibers on your Dillon. The prices are pretty good to. I've bought most of my reloading gear through this site. Plus if you have any questions or are confused, you can email Brian directly and he actually responses pretty quick. He answered a number of questions I've had on the same day I sent them.

Hi guys,

I’m hoping ya’ll can help me out with a little math/research that I just haven’t been able to figure out myself. Basically, I want to figure out what I need and how much it’s going to cost to setup my reloading press to reload a new caliber.

I currently have a Dillon 650XL, including the automatic case feed, setup to load .45ACP. I want to start loading .223. I also want to use one of those quick change kits that allow you to simply remove the toolhead to change calibers.

Can you guys help me make a list of the new parts I’m going to need (dies, conversion kit, disk for case feed assembly, etc) and the prices, if you can find them?

Thanks fellas!

-TD

I bought a used 450 rather than convert my 1050. Since I resize on a Rock Chucker, tumble to remove the lube, and then reload the cases, I don't think the highly automated press is necessari.

I bought a used 450 rather than convert my 1050. Since I resize on a Rock Chucker, tumble to remove the lube, and then reload the cases, I don't think the highly automated press is necessary.

What he said.

Look into getting a single stage press. For .223, you're going to be doing several operations before you ever get to your progressive. You need to lube, size, trim, deburr, chamfer, tumble, and maybe swage the primer pockets.

Once the cases are prepped, then you can go to your progressive press. All you end up doing there is charging and seating. I don't go near the progressive press with rifle rounds unless I'm loading more than a couple of hundred.

When I do use the progressive press for rifle rounds, I put a universal decapping die in the 1st station (where the sizing die would normally go) to poke any stray media out of the flash holes. I think I got that trick from Gammon.

Back
Top Bottom