• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need New Bow!

Looking for help finding some good websites that offer reputable ready-to-shoot packages like you can find on Huntersfriend.com (found them thanks to someone on this forum). Want to get something all tuned up and ready to go so I only have to play with it a little bit to get it shooting right. I don't want to go through the whole set up/tune process myself. I would love to but just don't have the time.

Any other good options out there? Hunters Friend looks great but the least expensive RTS package is $550+. Thanks.

archerytalk.com has a Classifieds section where you can get great bows for good deals. they may not have package bows vbut they often have really nice bows for around 500. even if you get a package you would need to go to a shop to get it tuned.

I'm not a bow expert, but we do custom bows in our shop. If you're using the bow for plinking you can get a ready made one, but if you're hunting you need pinpoint accuracy and I don't think that can happen without a proper fitting.
There are just too many variables. Just my thought.[grin]

Talk to C-pher, Bass Pro has some decent gear for decent price. If you are out this way (Foxboro) you could also try Reedy's Archery (they have active web site). Ebay also has good deals.

You need to know if you are left or right eye dominant, this is key, trust me. You might think you are one when in fact you are the other. You will get used to shooting correctly with a little practice.

Every Sunday there are 3D shoots if you want to try your luck at stationary, unknown yardage, realistic animal targets.

Minimum poundage for hunting big game is 40 lbs. IIRC. Don't think you can buy a bow today and hunt tomorrow, it's easy to learn but not that easy.

Last edited:
Picked up a 2007 Bear Element bow at Dick's this last weekend. I think I got a great deal and this bow is light years ahead of anything I've had in the past. It is a $300 bow that gets great reviews everywhere for its comparison to bows twice its costs. Dick's had them on sale for $199 ($100 off). With another $20 coup I got it for $180. Very excited.

Not just to get it tuned and shooting straight. Of course, I've got to by all new accessories as well.

Never buy a bow at Bass pro or Dicks. You never know if your getting someone who knows what they are doing or not. Use a local specialize archery shop. They almost all have trade ins they can sell you for a good price that need little tuning and you will be dealing with someone who knows what they are doing. Try Archery Plus in Spencer and ask for Keith. Tell him Arlow sent ya. He will take care of you guaranteed.

Never buy a bow at Bass pro or Dicks. You never know if your getting someone who knows what they are doing or not. Use a local specialize archery shop. They almost all have trade ins they can sell you for a good price that need little tuning and you will be dealing with someone who knows what they are doing. Try Archery Plus in Spencer and ask for Keith. Tell him Arlow sent ya. He will take care of you guaranteed.

That all depends on if you NEED someone who knows what they are doing.

I bought a bare bow and plan to tune it myself. I needed the Dick's employee only to cut off the tie wrap so I could draw it once to check the length. Then I walked to the counter and paid.

Jerrys bait and tackle, in Milford Ma. Jerry the owner will set you up with everything you need. He also has an in-door range to use.

Back
Top Bottom