Need range membership advice - Burlington, MA area

Hey Folks,

I know there are plenty of these threads and I have read most of them on the topic, but I need advice on which range to join. I am in the Burlington Massachusetts area and am considering Mass Rifle and the Harvard Sportsmens Club. I have read all the threads about people's feelings on the different locations so I am fairly familiar with the pros and cons.

I ruled out Woburn Sportsmens club as it does not seem like the place for me by what I have read on the forum and they don't allow rapid fire.

I ruled out Mystic Valley because I don't want to be limited to only pistol shooting.

I am torn because although I am close to MRA, I have reservations about the outdoor range rules - particularly the one round rule. The Loeb sounds like a great option to have though.

On the other hand, Harvard is 45 minutes away, but has everything I am looking for and I have read nothing but praise from the forum on that location. I just don't know how often I would go if my range was close to an hour away however. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, - Jeff

Seeing as I work in burlington and travel to HSC every week the travel there is only between 30-35 minutes.
My vote goes to HSC hands down.

I'm a member at Wayland Rod & Gun Club and Harvard Sportsmen's. I live 5 minutes from Wayland Rod & Gun Club. Lately, I make the 35 minute drive to HSC. There just isn't any substitute to driving my SUV into my very own action pit, setting up some targets, and practicing for IDPA/USPSA.

If all you want to do is plink, I'd bet MRA is fine. If you want to practice defensive shooting (drawing from a holster, shooting on the move, etc.), then you know where to go...

Seeing as I work in burlington and travel to HSC every week the travel there is only between 30-35 minutes.

Hmm, do you take 3 north or hit route 2?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a member at Wayland Rod & Gun Club and Harvard Sportsmen's. I live 5 minutes from Wayland Rod & Gun Club. Lately, I make the 35 minute drive to HSC. There just isn't any substitute to driving my SUV into my very own action pit, setting up some targets, and practicing for IDPA/USPSA.

If all you want to do is plink, I'd bet MRA is fine. If you want to practice defensive shooting (drawing from a holster, shooting on the move, etc.), then you know where to go...

That does sound pretty freaking sweet, can you set up anything as a target like bowling pins and whatnot?

Hmm, do you take 3 north or hit route 2?

I take 3 North then just slip on to 495. Even when I leave work at 4-4:30 with traffic I can do it in less then 45 minutes. I always watch my commute times and it sits right around that 35 minute marker. I even stop for coffee every so often so give or take a couple minutes.

That does sound pretty freaking sweet, can you set up anything as a target like bowling pins and whatnot?

I don't think you can, I'd have to check the rules. But they have plate racks and dueling trees in dedicated pits, so why bring your own reactive targets when they already have some set up?

- - - Updated - - -

I live in Bedford and go to Shirley rod and gun. Its kinda far, but a quiet empty range is worth it, IMO. The rules are very reasonable.

If you are going to Shirley, I suspect you are driving past HSC on your way. I've never been to Shirley Rod & Gun, so I don't know how it compares to HSC.

I am a long time member of MRA and love it there. The real key is what do you want to do. If you are into the action shooting aspect of our sport then you should join Harvard. While MRA does hold some action events, we are limited outside by the nature of our ranges and our location. Harvard really focuses on action shooting and is totally set up to cater to it.

Both are fine clubs as are so many other clubs in the area. Join the club that best suits your needs.

If you are going to Shirley, I suspect you are driving past HSC on your way. I've never been to Shirley Rod & Gun, so I don't know how it compares to HSC.

I have never been to Harvard. Shirley has range with bunkers at 50, 75, 100, and 200. A pistol range with some steel plates, and a trap range. and i am usually there by myself, which is my favorite part.

I'm both member of MRA & Harvard. Both club is nice. For me, I love the indoor range @ MRA. The trap/skeet range @ MRA is good too. For outdoor/competition shooting, Harvard no doubt is better.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Although some may think MRA outside qualifying rules are excessive , the convenience of lobe is great. The qualification processes may seem tedious but a 200 yrd range in the middle of a city / priceless . Everyone has come across the whoha that doesn't give a crap about safety or think that their round could never hit that day care at the end of the 200 yrd range. If it does we would be lucky to keep the indoor ranges at best. They take extra care to minimize this from happening that's all, no more no less. That's said I too like Harvard but I'm the next town over from MRA. Either place has a great bunch of guys that are easy to approach and are willing help you .

MRA allows rapid fire?

And while I'm here I'll plug WSA... Like you said they don't allow rapid fire, but they are a well rounded club and I've had no problem with Fudds or anything. I'd be happy to show you the ranges if you're interested.

I am torn because although I am close to MRA, I have reservations about the outdoor range rules - particularly the one round rule. The Loeb sounds like a great option to have though.

May I ask why you need why do you to fire more than 1 round @ 200 yard range?

Although some may think MRA outside qualifying rules are excessive , the convenience of lobe is great. The qualification processes may seem tedious but a 200 yrd range in the middle of a city / priceless . Everyone has come across the whoha that doesn't give a crap about safety or think that their round could never hit that day care at the end of the 200 yrd range. If it does we would be lucky to keep the indoor ranges at best. They take extra care to minimize this from happening that's all, no more no less. That's said I too like Harvard but I'm the next town over from MRA. Either place has a great bunch of guys that are easy to approach and are willing help you .

I completely understand why those rules are in place, though six months seems like an excessive amount of time to me... but then again I am sure there are people who unfortunately require that much prudence.

Hey Mike,
I am sure its a great club, in my experience people in the sport are usually great folks, that might be biased, but its been my experience. I appreciate the offer to check it out and I may take you up on that if MRA and HSA don't work out.
Thanks, - Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

May I ask why you need why do you to fire more than 1 round @ 200 yard range?

Yeah I am sure it would be fine - its not a deal breaker but not being ever able to fully load up a firearm would just not seem right to me as I will only be shooting at whatever club I join.

Last edited:

I agree. Live in Woburn and go at least once a week, 26 mi from the house and well worth the 30 min drive. Beautiful property too, like being on a mini vacation, like heaven with gunfire if you will, very soothing for the spirt.

MRA allows controlled fire?

Sorta FIFY: Yep. Rip them off as fast as your ability can keep you on target.

RR1.15:
Only "controlled fire" is permitted. Controlled fire is when ones ability allows that all shots are on target at the speed at which they are shooting

I would recommend Shirley R&G club/

If you like a smaller club with great folks, common sense rules and no hassles... you can't beat it.
(Not to mention club membership fee)

They have outdoor pistol range 50yd/ and 200 rifle range. It's a nice set up.
Archery/fishing/acreage..also

Nothing fancy, and often not busy at all, and sometimes you have it all by yourself depending.

The way it should be

I am heading out to MRA tomorrow for their late office hours to check the place out, if anyone would be willing to have me as a guest out to HSA, please PM me - I know its a lot to ask but I am leaning towards Harvard right now. Thanks again to all the advice so far.

There is a steel challenge match at HSC that is open to he public. Bring a handgun (or .22lr rifle), a bunch of mags, and some ammo.

There is a steel challenge match at HSC that is open to he public. Bring a handgun (or .22lr rifle), a bunch of mags, and some ammo.

Sounds good, I have never done a challenge so should I observe one or jump right in? Does HSC allow aluminum casings?
Thanks, - Jeff

Jeff Davis said:
Sounds good, I have never done a challenge so should I observe one or jump right in? Does HSC allow aluminum casings?
Thanks, - Jeff

Jump right in. Go to the steel challenge web site so you know what to expect and what gear you need. It helps if you bring a lot of mags. Aluminum cartridge cases are fine. Check the pistol competition forum here on NES for the announcement, which has start times.

Back
Top Bottom