Need some clarification with MA law for carrying

I'm not even sure how to word the question.
What's the law and requirements for carrying in a vehicle to transport to a gun show in MA if your not a MA resident & coming from another state?

Also, once at a show, carrying inside a case, what's needed / required to be in compliance if you're not a resident of MA?

Is there such a thing as a temporary LTC?

For example.. NH does not require LTC to carry rifles/shotguns, however, MA does, so when I cross the state line, then it's a different set of rules, so what do I need to do in order to comply.

Nevermind.. just found out that MA has temporary LTC.

I've never heard of a temporary LTC. As a nonresident the only one
you can get is a non resident LTC. The term for a nonres is 1 yr
and for resident ltc's is now 6 yrs. There are no "other" LTC's.

Edit: ROFL, I guess thats what they mean by "temporary" is same as
the nonresident one. Go figure. I think the term "temporary" is misleading
because it leads people to believe that it's simple to get and doesn't cost a
lot... the reality is the contrary of that.. it's $100 to get and just as much of a
pain in the ass to get as a resident LTC and only lasts 1/6th as long.

-Mike

NR LTC is called in "legal terms" a Temporary LTC. They are one and the same.

Probably "temporary" since you can temporarily carry for a few months before you have to apply all over again!

IANAL, but . . .

MGL Ch. 140 Sec. 129C specifically exempts nonresidents from the requirement to have an FID for transportation or showing of long guns. Ch. 140 131G does the same for handguns if the nonresident has a license in their home state that meets certain requirements.

It wasn't clear to me if his original question concerned long guns only or handguns as well - if the former I don't think he needs to do anything, but if he gets an LTC in NH, which we know is a "shall issue" state, wouldn't he covered for transporting and at shows in MA for handguns as well?

Last edited:
IANAL, but . . .

MGL Ch. 140 Sec. 129C specifically exempts nonresidents from the requirement to have an FID for transportation or showing of long guns. Ch. 140 141G does the same for handguns if the nonresident has a license in their home state that meets certain requirements.

It wasn't clear to me if his original question concerned long guns only or handguns as well - if the former I don't think he needs to do anything, but if he gets an LTC in NH, which we know is a "shall issue" state, wouldn't he covered for transporting and at shows in MA for handguns as well?

Well, in order to be compliant with law, I can't bring handguns to the show because even here in NH you need a LTC to carry in a vehicle, I have to re-read it, but may be CCW, because once in a vehicle, technically it is concealed. Good deal that I would be able to open carry handgun without LTC if I wish, but not in a car without proper permit. I was hoping to bring a few with me to the danvers show to sell or trade, but looks like I will be leaving them home so as not to break any laws. my longarms I plan on keeping, but good to know about the statutes you quoted. I'm going to take a look.

Well, in order to be compliant with law, I can't bring handguns to the show because even here in NH you need a LTC to carry in a vehicle, I have to re-read it, but may be CCW, because once in a vehicle, technically it is concealed.

Transporting guns to a show and "carrying" are two entirely separate issues, under different statutes. Moreover, NH law avails you little in Danvers.

Well, in order to be compliant with law, I can't bring handguns to the show because even here in NH you need a LTC to carry in a vehicle

I guess I'm a bit confused - - if you're not legal to transport handguns in your car in NH, what difference does the MA law make? Even if MA had no laws at all you wouldn't be able to get them to the state line (legally).

Are there federal issues about selling a handgun out of one's state of residence? There may not be; I just don't know.

I guess I'm a bit confused - - if you're not legal to transport handguns in your car in NH, what difference does the MA law make? Even if MA had no laws at all you wouldn't be able to get them to the state line (legally).

Because I became confused. I re-read the statute & says LTC needed if it is loaded, so I misread & misunderstood. Apparently I can carry in the car as long as they're unloaded & locked up, but can't cross state line, so guess they need to stay home.

Yes, it's a Fed Felony unless it is to/thru an FFL!
Which is reason I prefer to sell at show, because dealers should have FFL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom