• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need someone who can laser etch on a lightsr like WeaponIconography did for the NES Zippo buy

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Almost 12 years ago, we did an NES Zippo lighter buy. We had Weapon Iconography of Westford laser etch the NES logo on them, along with our user names. (They added a Square & Compasses on mine, too). In fact, when I proposed to Luv2BFree, Weapon Iconography did the etching on her engagement ring (see pic).

But they went out of business some years back - I remember that one of the guys there had a day job as an engineer and did this as a sideline.

Does anyone know of someone who could do the same kind of etching? I need to get a new one etched...

Here's the story: In a spectacularly stupid move, I bought a Zippo "Blu" butane lighter... which was (unknown to me) one of Zippo's worst lighters ever. So much so that they were discontinued. Well, mine isn't working, and Zippo's idea of a "lifetime warranty" is that they WON'T repair it (they claim the insert can't be removed), but they WILL send me a NEW one. Yeah... the discontinued lighter, which you CAN'T buy, and can't get repaired, will be REPLACED - because the Zippo service department apparently has a whole bunch of them JUST to replace the shitty ones. But they WON'T take one of the inserts and put it in an engraved case. "Oh, they can't do that! It can't be removed from the case!"

Idiots. What kind of sense does THAT make? How did they f***ing MAKE it in the first place?

Anyway, unless I want to kill the warranty by removing the glue in the security Torx bit holding the insert into the lighter and swapping out the new insert into the old NES case, I need to get the new one engraved. I may say "f*** it" and do that anyway rather than hunting down an engraver... because then I have to supply them with artwork, too. Of course, even YouTubers are posting how to work on these dogs...

20230831_162824.jpg

714.JPG

Almost 12 years ago, we did an NES Zippo lighter buy. We had Weapon Iconography of Westford laser etch the NES logo on them, along with our user names. (They added a Square & Compasses on mine, too). In fact, when I proposed to Luv2BFree, Weapon Iconography did the etching on her engagement ring (see pic).

But they went out of business some years back - I remember that one of the guys there had a day job as an engineer and did this as a sideline.

Does anyone know of someone who could do the same kind of etching? I need to get a new one etched...

Here's the story: In a spectacularly stupid move, I bought a Zippo "Blu" butane lighter... which was (unknown to me) one of Zippo's worst lighters ever. So much so that they were discontinued. Well, mine isn't working, and Zippo's idea of a "lifetime warranty" is that they WON'T repair it (they claim the insert can't be removed), but they WILL send me a NEW one. Yeah... the discontinued lighter, which you CAN'T buy, and can't get repaired, will be REPLACED - because the Zippo service department apparently has a whole bunch of them JUST to replace the shitty ones. But they WON'T take one of the inserts and put it in an engraved case. "Oh, they can't do that! It can't be removed from the case!"

Idiots. What kind of sense does THAT make? How did they f***ing MAKE it in the first place?

Anyway, unless I want to kill the warranty by removing the glue in the security Torx bit holding the insert into the lighter and swapping out the new insert into the old NES case, I need to get the new one engraved. I may say "f*** it" and do that anyway rather than hunting down an engraver... because then I have to supply them with artwork, too. Of course, even YouTubers are posting how to work on these dogs...

View attachment 791370

View attachment 791368
I hear @EddieCoyle might have lasered a thing or two in his day

One of my coworkers runs The Engraving Artisan in the Gardner area as his side hustle. He's done NFA engraving and commemorative items for me in the past with fantastic results. He did this stock for my dad before he passed away. This was hand engraved, but he does laser as well.

stock.jpg

MakeIt Labs in Nashua NH has a fiber laser that can engrave metal if you get the file. We're a makerspace, that means you get access to the tools and equipment to do the work yourself. A month's dues starts at $50.

makeitlabs.com

Back
Top Bottom