***NES Forum Upgrade 11/18/2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you're on a computer, you have "Home" or "End" for that. Or "Page Up" "Page Down". On tablet/phone, I speed scroll around. So those are 'meh' things for me, and haven't used them. Even if you don't have those specialized keys, there are easy key combinations that give you the same function. So an even lower 'meh' item IMO.

More interested to see/know when the next update will happen, to restore some of the more important functions we had in the old software. Like not considering ALL touch-screen enabled systems to be tablets/phones. With how many laptops, and even compact desktops, have touch-screens these days, that's a stupid setting.

when I'm on my home computer, I touch the keys as little as possible when I'm reading forums. I'm familiar with all the 'secret' shortcuts you have disclosed to the whole world now, so your 'meh' is a big win for me.

Geez you're fast, heh.

With all my bitching about it I had to be.

Now on to the next cause, MOBILE APP. I think everything that can be done to make the standard layout mobile friendly has been done (kudos to sHORTY). There is no way to make all the little buttons and close links mobile friendly.

Oh powers that be hear my call and grant us a mobile app.[grin]

ok, want to permanently delete my complete account. can't find that as an option anywhere in my profile.

any mod want to take care of that for me ???

Easiest way to do that is flood every thread on the site with invective calling Admin and sHORTY names, use lots of swears, mention body parts using slang that your mom would wash your mouth out for.

That should do it pretty quick.

ok, want to permanently delete my complete account. can't find that as an option anywhere in my profile.

any mod want to take care of that for me ???

Easiest way to do that is flood every thread on the site with invective calling Admin and sHORTY names, use lots of swears, mention body parts using slang that your mom would wash your mouth out for.

That should do it pretty quick.

Or start an A word thread.

Someone should start a thread on the best way to get banned [devil]................OK, sorry Admin, I'll get back on topic.

Have gotten the hang of the new look. Lighter color didnt really bother me but tried the darker look and I like it. A bit easier on the eyes. No complaints here really.
Like the way watched threads, threads Ive posted in and posts liked are all combined. Also pics are easier to post. Thanks guys.

Looks like there's a bug with the "watched threads" list. If you stop watching threads, they don't reflow to take up less pages. I have three pages listed, but one has just two on it, and another is empty. I've deleted enough from the first that they should all fit on just one.

Looks like there's a bug with the "watched threads" list. If you stop watching threads, they don't reflow to take up less pages. I have three pages listed, but one has just two on it, and another is empty. I've deleted enough from the first that they should all fit on just one.

Can you post a screenshot from the second and third pages so I can send it over to the developers?

Can you post a screenshot from the second and third pages so I can send it over to the developers?
Page one has 23 threads listed... I believe the threads per page should be 30 with the updated settings made...

Page 2:
w8Z6FXx.jpg

Page 3:
4Ud820v.jpg

A mobile app was mentioned at one point, is that something on your list? If so, where? Those little buttons/links are a major pain.

this is what i'm waiting for as well...i won't browse on my phone anymore cause it's just too frustrating

this is what i'm waiting for as well...i won't browse on my phone anymore cause it's just too frustrating

If you opt to request the desktop version, on your phone/tablet, then there's no issue... I never used crapatalk on my devices, since this was a much better choice.

If you opt to request the desktop version, on your phone/tablet, then there's no issue... I never used crapatalk on my devices, since this was a much better choice.

i tried both the mobile and desktop version and they seem identical to me browsing through google chrome app on my iphone 8...its frustrating having to zoom to click each button...tapatalk was way easier

i tried both the mobile and desktop version and they seem identical to me browsing through google chrome app on my iphone 8...its frustrating having to zoom to click each button...tapatalk was way easier

I don't have any issue with my Nexus 6P with Android 8.1... :D

@Golddiggie

I can't reproduce this... I just went to watched threads->all watched threads and deleted a bunch from my last page. This reduced the number of pages by 1 as expected.

Are you still getting this view if you go to watched threads? Is your address bar showing this url - https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/watched/threads/all ?

Issue from my iphone in chrome (dont know if its chrome related, suspect just small screen)

The available menu items is limited so it chooses to show some and put others behind ... Mark Forums Read is one of those hidden behind the ... and the one I use most often. Any way to change this?

Issue from my iphone in chrome (dont know if its chrome related, suspect just small screen)

The available menu items is limited so it chooses to show some and put others behind ... Mark Forums Read is one of those hidden behind the ... and the one I use most often. Any way to change this?

While that may be one of the options you use the most, it's (by the numbers) one of the least pressed buttons.

Xen did a survey a while back taking data from hundreds of forums tracking clicks and arranged everything to go behind the ellipsis in the of least used->most used.

I think unless the majority agrees, I'm going to leave them as they are now and as the data supports them.

@Golddiggie

I can't reproduce this... I just went to watched threads->all watched threads and deleted a bunch from my last page. This reduced the number of pages by 1 as expected.

Are you still getting this view if you go to watched threads? Is your address bar showing this url - https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/watched/threads/all ?

Yup... Even used that link, still not right... Screen shots show what I have on my pages. So maybe something got f***ed up during the site change-over. Just because it's not happening to others, or no one else has said anything, doesn't mean it's not an issue.

I haven’t read through this whole thread (I usually do before posting, which is probably why I post so infrequently), but I appreciate being able to upload images since photobucket crapped out, and the email when someone pm’s is also appreciated. Thank’s Derek (and all others who worked on the upgrade, and continue to make this a place worth hanging out).

Yup... Even used that link, still not right... Screen shots show what I have on my pages. So maybe something got f***ed up during the site change-over. Just because it's not happening to others, or no one else has said anything, doesn't mean it's not an issue.

I submitted a ticket for one of the developers to take a look at it. The only thing I've been able to discover is there are some lingering issues with ignoring stuff, but certainly not enough to cause you to flip over to an entire new page.

Any word on a mobile app yet?...just wondering cause my work internet filter just blocked the website so my cell phone is all I have now since I rarely have time to browse at home...buttons are way too small on the mobile/desktop site on my phone and zooming all the time is a pain

Any word on a mobile app yet?...just wondering cause my work internet filter just blocked the website so my cell phone is all I have now since I rarely have time to browse at home...buttons are way too small on the mobile/desktop site on my phone and zooming all the time is a pain

This

I submitted a ticket for one of the developers to take a look at it. The only thing I've been able to discover is there are some lingering issues with ignoring stuff, but certainly not enough to cause you to flip over to an entire new page.

Any word on this???

Any word on this???

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this. Basically they explained it was a design feature/known issue that couldn't be resolved.

Basically what it boils down to is that you're still watching a number of threads which you no longer have access to - most likely classified posts which have moved off to our archive forum. Due to the order in which things are calculated, the pagination occurs before the software realizes you don't have access to these threads. It's a bit annoying, but not the end of the world.

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this. Basically they explained it was a design feature/known issue that couldn't be resolved.

Basically what it boils down to is that you're still watching a number of threads which you no longer have access to - most likely classified posts which have moved off to our archive forum. Due to the order in which things are calculated, the pagination occurs before the software realizes you don't have access to these threads. It's a bit annoying, but not the end of the world.

They're full of it... I went thru and deleted MORE threads, but there weren't any that were other people's classified ads. STILL have an empty 'page 2' showing up. Also, I don't (and didn't before) have ANY listed where I cannot access them. Which means that 'explanation' from them is complete BS.

I have all of 17 threads in the full watch list. But I still have an empty 'page 2' showing...

IMO, all these "known flaws" scream out "crappy coding" for the software. Something I would expect at the company I work at (where they've refused to fix bad code for many years due to being lazy), but not for a forum software.

I’m also curious about when/if the forum will be back on Tapatalk or have a mobile app? I found Tapatalk much easier and convenient to use than logging in on Safari...

Happy NYE!

@Golddiggie Here's the technical explanation. Yeah, it was a poor design choice they made in the beginning and are too deep to fix, basically.

Design issue - Stop watching threads: If last page is emptied, page no. remains in navigation

Again, however, this is a far cry compared to the hacks, workarounds, and poor practices of vB... so I'll take an empty page showing up over a multitude of gaping security holes.

I was simply calling total BS on their 'reason' for the flaw that you stated previously. Since it's null and void for this instance.

Is this on the 'fixed' list for the fabled v2.0 release??

BTW, seems like any time I click on a link that's put into a message (from either Chrome or Firefox) it doesn't resolve to the actual site. If the person puts up the raw url, not one with the text changed, then I can at least select, copy/paste it it into a clean URL field in a tab and get to it. But the NES wrapping on the url f***s it up completely, giving me a blank page, and NOT the target url.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom