• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

new air rifle-

anyone know how good this is for hunting varmint?

i got a really good deal on it- and thought it might be handy (fun) to have around...

[laugh]

product_varmint_hunter.jpg

http://www.gamousa.com//Catalog.aspx?Product=68

it was only 199.00 with a laser sight and scope- 1200 fps on an air gun.

i was hoping to pick off some squirrel with it- i was thinking a .22 would be beter for raccoon tho.

not sure- the commercial shows a guy hunting a raccoon

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2sHMUiz1_KQ

Mine is 1000fps and I've killed squirrels. I've never shot at a raccoon, though. It would absolutely penetrate.

ETA: My rifle isn't as accurate as I'd like it to be, though.

Last edited:
Mine is 1000fps and I've killed squirrels.

I've gotten squirrels with my $30 Crossman .177 at ~ 600fps, but I stopped after a one got away injured. They're tough little critters, but from what I've read, about 10 ft/lb energy is sufficient for a head shot (I can attest that less will work, but again, don't recommend it). An 8.5 gr pellet @ 1000 fps delivers over 27 fpe, which leaves plenty of room for deceleration at longer ranges.

.22 will get you more fpe at a longer distance, more energy at lower velocities (= better accuracy), & better penetration for larger critters. Never tried raccoon... I'd assume a .22 pellet would work, but I'd personally be more comfortable with .22 cb, if you can get away with it where you live (I can't).

Ayah Rifle

Ye That will do it. Anything up to Coyote Size.

My boy popped a nice 20# plus Porky Pine in the back yard with my RWS 1100 fps .177 rifle and it dropped the critter with one shot in the noogin.

Us solid core pointed hunting ammo or the new steel ball amo for thick skin animules.

Practice Makes Perfect: Shoot lots of target pellets at Pigeons for Practice. Give them to the Homeless People. Tastes like Chicken"

Yes they really do.

HINT: Clean Entrails before cooking. Improves Flavour. Serve with Rice & Tabasco.

My Rifle can punch holes at 50 yards but drops too much any further.

Make a neat little target range for the basement with 1/4 inch washers welded to a rod in front of the paper target. Object of the game is to punch the paper without hitting the washer.

I have adjustiable peep sights with a front shroud. Optics are a waste on an air rifle.

Hint: And a Drop of 3-1 oil to the ball bearing valve prior to shooting and you can get the oil to explode (Think Diesel Engine) this increase the pressure dynamically and cause the pellet to fly like the wind. Also make one hell of a crack/bang on the scale of a .25 or .32 ACP SCAWARY~ Anyone have a chronograph that I could mesure the velocity?

Last edited:
Still trying to understand this myself but to those shooting these 1100+ fps rifles , the sound barrier isn't your friend. Accuracy of a pellet traveling at the speed of sound ( around 1116 fps or so at sea level, give or take ) goes in the toilet as far as consistency goes. I'm going by the airgun forums I'm looking at that deal with the field target stuff. They ( members and shooters ) believe that the best accuracy for .177 is somewhere around the 900 fps or so depending on pellet weight. My hardest hitting ( velocity ) rifle is the RWS Model 45 Commemorative rifle which is basically a RWS Model 34 in 45 wood. Accuracy is good but it does depend on the weight/shape as to how much of a group size it will shoot. Rifle velocity is somewhere in the 900 fps+ or so. If you find the rifle is not shooting to your liking, try heavier pellets in it to slow down the speed. Of course, this will help on the mass side of the force formula! Most of this is for .177 but the .22's at the higher velocities can benefit too.

Joe R.

I have a Gamo Shadow 1k fps. I use it on squirrels and groundhogs very successfully up to a range of 75 to 100 feet. Lung shots seem to work best for quick kill. Seldom have I had an animal drop dead on the spot. Seems that the adrenaline rush keeps them going for a minimum of a few feet.

just a hypothetical question

are these legal to shoot in our back yards?

can "we" get into trouble if an animal lover witnessed or video taped someone shooting a rat with it?

-just curious what the regulations are with air rifles

just a hypothetical question

are these legal to shoot in our back yards?

can "we" get into trouble if an animal lover witnessed or video taped someone shooting a rat with it?

-just curious what the regulations are with air rifles

I have my interpretation of the law, but IANAL.

Scriv is on.

I think pigeons are illegal to shoot. I have no idea on rats. Are they really THAT problematic, Martlett? I wouldn't shoot more than a squirrel with one. I've had crows spit the pellet out and throw it back at me. I wouldn't shoot a groundhog, as their skin is thicker and I'd hate to do something inhumane to them. I'd rather pop them with a .22 if I had to.

This is with a 900ish fps Chinese TechForce airgun in .20 or .22. I think mine is the model 97.

Model 97
detail_921_1_TF97.jpg

The Tech Force® 97 is really the best bang for your buck! When it’s stoked with Tech Force match grade pellets, the accuracy is equivalent to (if not better than) the best European made air guns (C-T-C 0.15). The TF97 air rifle has an beechwood, Monte Carlo stock with ventilated recoil pad and a grooved receiver for scope mounting. Designed for the ultimate in safety and cocking ease, this underlever cocking rifle is easy to use, requiring a maximum of only 12 pounds of cocking effort. It is also equipped with an automatic reset trigger safety, scope stop and a breech lock which ensures complete safety while loading. For those who appreciate really great triggers, the TF97 boasts an excellent trigger pull with zero creep. With the feel and size of a real high power rifle, the TF97 is excellent for either the experienced or novice shooter. Length 43", weight 7.4 lbs. Scope sold separately.

Last edited:
I think pigeons are illegal to shoot. I have no idea on rats. Are they really THAT problematic, Martlett? I wouldn't shoot more than a squirrel with one. I've had crows spit the pellet out and throw it back at me. I wouldn't shoot a groundhog, as their skin is thicker and I'd hate to do something inhumane to them. I'd rather pop them with a .22 if I had to.

This is with a 900ish fps Chinese TechForce airgun in .20 or .22. I think mine is the model 97.

They are that problematic. Between my yard and that of my neighbor, I shoot a few rats almost daily. That doesn't count my misses. It's either my ammo or the gun. Even when I bench it I can't get a tight group.

They are that problematic. Between my yard and that of my neighbor, I shoot a few rats almost daily. That doesn't count my misses. It's either my ammo or the gun. Even when I bench it I can't get a tight group.

Hmmmm. Maybe an NES outing is in your future. (-:

i don;t know about problem animals like rats, but there is actually a hunting season on crows. squirrels, etc.

i say season on- if the squirrel thinks he is going to take up shop in my atttic.

anyhow, the gun seems to be pretty good. i would love to try the whisper--

How are you gripping the rifle? The theory behind shooting a spring gun, especially the break barrels, is you need to let the rifle " recoil " the way it wants to. Your forward hand needs to be flat underneath the rifle or you need to grip the rifle in the same place everytime. That position will be determined by firing groups with the grip in different locations and see which one does the smallest. Your other hand that is your trigger finger and pull back the stock needs to be looser than you would grip a firearm with.

Look up the blog on the Pyramyd Air website then use " artillery hold " as the search term in the box on the right. The guy BB Pelletier is probably Tom Gaylord and he has some good hints on the site for break barrels. Some of these rifles are what he calls " very hold-sensitive " and require a technique to get the best out of them. Fixed barrels are less hold-sensitive but still need to minded to see if it is you and not the rifle throwing rounds.

Joe R. ( still learning the air gun game again. )

Back
Top Bottom