New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

+1

As soon as he said it was an AR. I thought to myself "what"? Ever heard of Stag arms? What a corny show.

Does Will even work on guns? Or does he just tell his employees what to do?
Also being a machinist, their craftmanship is so crude & pathetic I would'nt let them fix my lawnmower.

Their machining is terrible, but as I tell my friends, the machining is not the key of gunsmithing. Its the knowledge of gunsmithing. I think if real machinist's tried gunsmithing, it would be like when machinists try carpentry. We make everything way too tight. I suspect that real machinists do great at a job like Sig Sauer or S&W, because all of their tolerances are given to them, and are liberal. We would have to exercise restraint, and make things to wider tolerances. (I am a machinist too)

I am glad there are gun shows on somewhat mainstream TV, but in some ways they make us look bad.

Every time I tell a friend that shooting is relaxing, and totally the opposite of what they think, they watch TV shows that show people blowing up houses with an M16. This show doesn't help that, as most people can't, won't, or do not want to decipher between explosives, ammunition, semi auto, full auto, etc.

I am glad there are gun shows on somewhat mainstream TV, but in some ways they make us look bad.

Every time I tell a friend that shooting is relaxing, and totally the opposite of what they think, they watch TV shows that show people blowing up houses with an M16. This show doesn't help that, as most people can't, won't, or do not want to decipher between explosives, ammunition, semi auto, full auto, etc.
After watching top-sot and SoG, I was pretty bummed when this target refused to explode under full-auto fire... [laugh]

burst2.jpg

Every time I tell a friend that shooting is relaxing, and totally the opposite of what they think, they watch TV shows that show people blowing up houses with an M16.

i find blowing up houses with M16s to be VERY relaxing actually....
can't wait to save up enough to get an AR :)

The fact that they use tannerite in every single thing that they shoot really gets to me. I was watching it was a few people who aren't that knowledgeable about firearms and they seemed rather distraught, about what happens when you shoot something with an m16 before i explained it to them

...Then they found a F* toof in that old revolver [rofl].

I actually talked to Stephanie real quick on FB and told her that the show was to scripted and set up. She assured that it was not scripted that it was just bad editing [rolleyes]

The dentist gives an account.

Link.

Snip:
When Scarborough got to the shop in March, they asked him if he was the dentist or the “talent.”

“I said, ‘I think I’m both.’ But I think talent was a little liberal use of the word.”

Scarborough said they told him the background of the gun and gave him the back-story that the gun had been in his family for years.

“There was no script, they told me just kind of a generic outline, and the rest was just total ad lib,” he said.

Scarborough said the whole thing was done in an hour and a half.

“We filmed where I bring the gun in, and they yelled, ‘Cut,’ and then said, ‘Let’s do it again.’”

After the first take Scarborough said he became a little more comfortable, and was able to perform better on the second take.

“This time I was a little more animated,” he said. “Then they told me to change clothes and said, “Let’s pick up the gun,’” Scarborough said.

He said he changed clothes and shot the pick-up scene, where they realize the gun was jammed with a tooth, in two takes as well.Scarborough said he believes that the producers and the writers of the show got the tooth story from hearing that it happened in another gun shop, and they wanted to put it in “Sons of Guns.”

I actually talked to Stephanie real quick on FB and told her that the show was to scripted and set up. She assured that it was not scripted that it was just bad editing [rolleyes]

From watching the show now and then, Id be willing to bet that she actually believes that.
Doesn't seem like it would be hard to convince her that there actually was a tooth in the gun. Sshhhh don't tell her they done been lyin' to her![wink]

Scarborough said when the producers of the show explained to Hayden what they wanted to do with the gun he was not very happy.

“He blew up, he was afraid he was going to ruin the value of this pistol if they scratched it or unscrewed it,” he said.

At least he doesn't seem as slow as I thought he was.

Their machining is terrible, but as I tell my friends, the machining is not the key of gunsmithing. Its the knowledge of gunsmithing. I think if real machinist's tried gunsmithing, it would be like when machinists try carpentry. We make everything way too tight. I suspect that real machinists do great at a job like Sig Sauer or S&W, because all of their tolerances are given to them, and are liberal. We would have to exercise restraint, and make things to wider tolerances. (I am a machinist too)

Ehhh perhaps but every episode I just see corners being cut, terribly crude methods & that (close enough) "that outta work" mentality.

Clamping receivers in a Bridgeport without running an indicator down it. Then forcing uncoated high speed steel endmills lengthwise to make a slots. Chunks of metal flying everyware smoking up a storm.
Conventionally milling instead of climb milling Leaving piss poor uneven finishes.
Judging things by eye without using a depth gage.
Always going to the all mighty dremel or a bigger hammer instead of doing things right.
Ya the gun will work in the end but the internals are rough, not deburred properly etc. etc. [thinking]
You would never see that type of work leaving my shop but hey I understand it's a reality show & it probably seems like magic to the average person.

Ehhh perhaps but every episode I just see corners being cut, terribly crude methods & that (close enough) "that outta work" mentality.

Clamping receivers in a Bridgeport without running an indicator down it. Then forcing uncoated high speed steel endmills lengthwise to make a slots. Chunks of metal flying everyware smoking up a storm.
Conventionally milling instead of climb milling Leaving piss poor uneven finishes.
Always going to the all mighty dremel or a bigger hammer instead of doing things right.
Ya the gun will work in the end but the internals are rough, not deburred properly etc. etc. [thinking]
You would never see that type of work leaving my shop but hey I understand it's a reality show & it probably seems like magic to the average person.

Salty-Title.gif

"sounds like he needs a strap"

Yeh.... My first F'in thought was "550 cord lanyard, job done"

But, i'm not a HSLD gun maker....

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

The age and state or repair of the machine tools in that shop are unknown. If the machine tools are in the same condition as the skill level of people operating them??? I must assume their in bad shape, therefor climb milling would be out of the question do to poor backlash tolerances in the machines. I find the machining on that show to be piss poor at best. My favorite comment was when he asked for a depth micrometer and the shop didn't have one???? Are you kidding me?? How are they going to run that half million dollars worth of brand new cnc machine tools without the proper measuring tools?? I wouldn't send my worse enemy to that shop.

I suspected the tooth in the gun scenes were staged. Now what else was made up?

I hope at least the flamethrowing Medal of Honor recipient was real!

"sounds like he needs a strap"

Yeh.... My first F'in thought was "550 cord lanyard, job done"

But, i'm not a HSLD gun maker....

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Picks up 550 bracelet. "untie this and instruct him in the proper use of a knot. Charge him $100 for it" Throws bracelet at him[laugh]

"And Will wants a suppressor on it?"

[dramatic pause]

"Actually, a silencer."

[dramatic violin]

You forgot the multi-pan to lifted eye brows from each person in succession.

[video=youtube_share;jHjFxJVeCQs]http://youtu.be/jHjFxJVeCQs[/video]
[video=youtube_share;plWnm7UpsXk]http://youtu.be/plWnm7UpsXk[/video]
[video=youtube_share;DJ5r3oNFVeE]http://youtu.be/DJ5r3oNFVeE[/video]
[video=youtube_share;xC44d0R_2IY]http://youtu.be/xC44d0R_2IY[/video]

Looks like one of the only things built correctly with the red jacket name on it. Maybe I should take that back, I am sure he built his following through quality merchandise and that he has some expertise. problem is it doesn't come through on the show.

Back
Top Bottom