New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

A lot of nitpicking about a pretty good show. Complaining about a lack of deal and the obvious attempts at creating some drama? Please. If you make a show about how a shop or workplace really is, no one would watch it. I'm sure a bunch of people will come in and say how their workplace is different, but believe me, it's not. Having just spent a year in a place where there is a lot of "workplace drama", I can say that. The producers have to create entertainment so that non-gun people will watch, and I think they've done a pretty decent job.

Also, creating a SBS Saiga-12 that functions reliably is not easy, attaching it to a rifle and having it work without destroying the mount? Definitely not as easy as it looks. Just ask the Army why their new breaching shotgun for the M4 is a slide action and not semi-auto. (Also Boris please see the previous sentence if you are looking for who uses these items). There is a reason Red Jacket is known as one of the best Saiga/AK gunsmiths out there.

Also, creating a SBS Saiga-12 that functions reliably is not easy
This was one of my points - there was NO reference to adjustment of the gas system, relocation of the ports, etc. It may very well be that they tuned the Saiga to work semi-auto as an SBS - in which case they missed a chance to really impress people who were looking for this sort of thing.

"when the sheriff's department needs to turn two guns - a shotgun and a rifle - into one, they call Will."

I guess the sheriff has never heard of a Combination/Drilling

Or State Line Gunshop, who made the combo I'm holding here:

Photo_110709_001.jpg

Watching now. They're saying no one has suppressed a shotgun before. However, I'm shooting one in my avatar.

Yeah, they should have called One Eyed Jack for help! [rofl]

I. too had mixed reactions. It's weak on the details, both on the general technical stuff as well as the gun-specific stuff. But then, a lot of the audience neither knows nor cares of the difference between a 37 and 40 mm grenade launcher. Or about the functional reliabilty of a Saiga. It's not a how-to, but a piece of entertainment.

But it's a pro-gun piece of entertainment. Of course, most people in this area probably think it should have a TV-MA rating! [shocked]

At least they admitted that the shed was packed with pyro in the cannon segment.

That place does some amazing custom work. I've seen a few projects from them and its quality stuff. My only concern is while the show may give them business and a $$ boost, I just hope it doesn't hurt production time and start costing them loyal customers.

Thumbs up to Discovery Channel for putting this show on tv in this day and age. What cracks me up is people ready to start picking it apart.[rolleyes]

That place does some amazing custom work. I've seen a few projects from them and its quality stuff. My only concern is while the show may give them business and a $$ boost, I just hope it doesn't hurt production time and start costing them loyal customers.

Thumbs up to Discovery Channel for putting this show on tv in this day and age. What cracks me up is people ready to start picking it apart.[rolleyes]

From what I am hearing the guy is a real whiz with AK builds.

You do realize that is one of only 12 cannons that were made like that, right? if something goes wrong and there is a screw up you just f'd up a priceless piece of American history.

If they didn't intend to fire the cannon, I couldn't agree with you more. But since they decided to fire it, I would think they would be able to fill the drill holes and no one would really notice. Bronze is malleable. I would think I'd be worse if the cannon blew up. Worse for the cannon and worse for anyone that got a face full of cannon shrapnel.

The one thing I will say against it, and pretty much all of discovery channel, is lately, they have COMPLETELY got away from what the shows are supposed to be about. American Chopper, this, that new show Howe and Howe tech. All could be much better shows if they were like American Chopper WAS. I watched an episode of AC from from 2004 the other day and it was 2 separate 1 hour sections with about 5-10 minutes total MAX about things other than exactly what they were doing with the bike. While some of the family stuff is a little interesting, if you turn it on today it is well over 50% about things other than building motorcycles, I'd say as much as 3/4 of the show focuses on anything but the bikes.

I understand some stuff with a gun show they'd want to be quiet about, but with other things, IE changing the gas system, setting up the mount, they could have gone WAAAAY more in depth and less of listening to the daughter about her thoughts on her fathers spending. Again, go ahead and develop the characters a LITTLE bit but its discovery, it should be like Popular Mechanics, I want to know what they are building.

Mike

I liked the show, I agree with what people said, if you want a in detail show, buy a specific video, a progun show will only help us, I hope. Same with the video games,

If the show is a hit how many other gun shows will come out? What do we have now 2? Top shot, and this son of guns. Hopefully it's a hit. We should all email discovery channel thanking them!

BTW. I shouted "whoa" when I saw the daughters snaggle tooth!

And no one has made a masterkey before either.....although I do like the show, I really wish they wouldn't act like these ideas are new.

Red Jacket did not invent the masterkey. My friends son was in Iraq and says the Army has been using them for years.

Red Jacket did not invent the masterkey. My friends son was in Iraq and says the Army has been using them for years.

JayD was being sarcastic. The show made it sound like these things had never been done before. I think the master key has been around since Vietnam.

I'm watching a new episode right now on Discovery.

A guy walks into Red Jacket with a Saiga and can't figure out why a standard 30 round AK mag won't fit. The guy said he paid $350 for it. The guy at RJ told him he was scammed, went on to explain the US importation and parts content laws, then sold the guy a "conversion job". He said it would take two weeks!
What a joke!
I had a Saiga in the early 90's that didn't take standard mags.
I modified several standard mags to fit the gun, and I did it in a few hours, for a lot less than what this guy is gonna' pay.

A guy walks into Red Jacket with a Saiga and can't figure out why a standard 30 round AK mag won't fit. The guy said he paid $350 for it. The guy at RJ told him he was scammed, went on to explain the US importation and parts content laws, then sold the guy a "conversion job". He said it would take two weeks!
What a joke!
I modified several standard mags to fit the gun, and I did it in a few hours, for a lot less than what this guy is gonna' pay.

He even said that the guys had a new gun to work on for a morning ;-) like my dad always said, "you don't know what you don't know"

They finally mentioned the NFA laws. It was a setup acted skit.

Guy walks in, wants a short barreled shotgun, he needs it for "hunting trip" tomorrow.
She says that it will take 4 months to complete the NFA paperwork process. He says you sure there is nothing you can do, I really want this gun. She says no sorry we have to comply with the NFA. (my words no hers, i cant understand half she says but i think that was close) He gets all pissy and leaves.

That was it. They should have gone into just a minute or 2 to explain what the NFA process was to the camera though as a followup.

What a joke!

Call RJ and see what they tell you for conversion times. I wish I could send a gun down with 2 week delivery time. The 2 weeks is not to do the build, the build will take a morning it is working it into the schedule.

Call a repair shop and ask how long it will take for you to get a belt changed on your snow blower this week. 30 min job but I bet your looking at 2-3 weeks for delivery. Took me months to get on the list and through the process and that was years ago. Tromix was backlogged even further at the time.

Also if you have some aftermarket US mags and slap them in an unconverted gun I believe that puts you in violation of 922R laws. I cannot see why Will would want to open himself up to that liability especially on national TV.

They finally mentioned the NFA laws. It was a setup acted skit.

Guy walks in, wants a short barreled shotgun, he needs it for "hunting trip" tomorrow.
She says that it will take 4 months to complete the NFA paperwork process. He says you sure there is nothing you can do, I really want this gun. She says no sorry we have to comply with the NFA. (my words no hers, i cant understand half she says but i think that was close) He gets all pissy and leaves.

That was it. They should have gone into just a minute or 2 to explain what the NFA process was to the camera though as a followup.

They mention NFA laws on their website. They give a brief description and then provide a link.

That felt like a real "Be assured folks, we obey the letter of the law here" kind of setup. Show is still entertaining though.

I wouldn't mind borrowing that flame thrower for a little while to get rid of some of the snow at my house. I'l just use it on the piles next to my driveway.

Back
Top Bottom