New Guy, getting ready to enlist in the Mass. National Guard

Hey guys,

My name is Sean and I live in Massachsetts. 20 years old, and currently a college student at a community college. I am also in the process of enlisting in the Mass. Army National Guard as an 11B Infantryman

Thanks,
Sean

Hey Sean welcome to the site. Can I make a suggestion? Don't join as an 11-B. If you get deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, you willprobably spend the year standing in a guard tower trying to stay awake or working a checkpoint. I got activated as an 11-B for 2 years after 9/11 and I spent it all state side doing base security. Yeah, someone had to do it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth because I wanted to be part of the game.

If you are looking to be a part of the war, I would suggest joining the RESERVES as military police. It may have changed since the wars have gone on, but I found that when I was in, the Guard never had decent equipment and we never got sent anywhere good for training. It was Fort Drum every summer except for on year we went to Ft Irwin in CA. This is just my personal experience, so please don't flame me guys. Thank you all for your service! BTW, MPs don't even really do "police" work anymore. They are more combat oriented now in the Army anyway. If you want the infantry experience, you are really going to have to join active duty.

Last edited:
First off Thank you for your choice in joining the military. Second it doesn't matter what MOS you are cause you will do the needs of the Army. Son was a Combat Engineer and ended up deploying and doing MP duties.
Wish you luck in what you decide to do. Not sure what unit you are thinking of joining but I know Centermass is a current 11B. Also if and when you deploy please let me know and PM me your info I have lots of helpers who will send care packages.

Hey Sean welcome to the site. Can I make a suggestion? Don't join as an 11-B. If you get deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, you willprobably spend the year standing in a guard tower trying to stay awake or working a checkpoint. I got activated as an 11-B for 2 years after 9/11 and I spent it all state side doing base security. Yeah, someone had to do it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth because I wanted to be part of the game.

No offense to IGWT but I've done twenty years as a 11B in the National Guard and have three overseas tours. Only one of those tours were doing guard duties (Guantanamo Bay, Camp Delta). My other two tours (Bosnia and Iraq) were extremely fulfilling (Safety and Security Operations /Diplomatic Security). I think it matters more which unit you get into and how lucky you are. My old unit is deploying to Afghanistan soon to do some pretty cool stuff.

Just my two cents.

Thanks guys.... I will be going to the 1-182nd out of Melrose,Mass...tho it is now in Reading for a temporary basis. I do want to go to Jump school...lol.

My older brother was an Infantryman, just so happens im going to his old unit. He will be doing my turning blue ceremony...at least I hope he will.

Why is the skyblue? BECAUSE GOD LOVES THE INFANTRY!!!!

Thanks guys.... I will be going to the 1-182nd out of Melrose,Mass...tho it is now in Reading for a temporary basis. I do want to go to Jump school...lol.

My older brother was an Infantryman, just so happens im going to his old unit. He will be doing my turning blue ceremony...at least I hope he will.

congrats. when do you ship?

I am still in the MEPS Process...they requested some more infomation and im going to meet with my recruiter to give some more paper work. MEPS requested my IEP infomation (Indiviualized Education Plan..I have a learning disabilty).....why do they want it...It beats both me and my recruiter...lol

I am still in the MEPS Process...they requested some more infomation and im going to meet with my recruiter to give some more paper work. MEPS requested my IEP infomation (Indiviualized Education Plan..I have a learning disabilty).....why do they want it...It beats both me and my recruiter...lol

preface: I am NOT a recruiter.

however, I am a Medical NCO (combat medic). google up Army Regulation 40-501 and become intimate with chapter 2. that covers the standards for "entrance" into the Army, to include the National Guard and Reserves.

anything mentioned in THAT chapter is grounds for initial disqualification for enlistment *or* appointment to become an Officer. however, everything is waiverable. feel free to shoot me a PM, tell me who your recruiter is ect.. i MAY be able to advise... but i make no promisses.

Those are the remenants of my old unit 1-182 out of Middleboro. There are still some great guys there. (SSG Pellegrini, SFC Mazzola and a few others) you should be happy there.

Thanks guys...im really excited about all the possibilities with the Guard. Education, Deployments,Drill, and just being in the military.

I will keep you guys posted on my progress. Please feel free to PM me at any time.

If you are looking to be a part of the war, I would suggest joining the RESERVES as military police. It may have changed since the wars have gone on, but I found that when I was in, the Guard never had decent equipment and we never got sent anywhere good for training. It was Fort Drum every summer except for on year we went to Ft Irwin in CA. This is just my personal experience, so please don't flame me guys. Thank you all for your service! BTW, MPs don't even really do "police" work anymore. They are more combat oriented now in the Army anyway. If you want the infantry experience, you are really going to have to join active duty.

We always sent our non hackers and $h!tbags to the towers.
everyone else was out on patrol....
not sure what happened to you....

[smile]

As you requested, I won't flame you. Your information is pretty off base, though.

A little update...

I have to get a medical waiver for my broken leg...didnt really suprise me. MEPS didnt really seem to concenered with my learning disability, just with the leg. I will keep everyone up to date. My recruiter thinks I should get the waiver.

Sean

I'm an MP in the reserves and as far as equipment and training it sounds like the same you had lol. It is true though we don't have to do much police work, I've never had to. We have been refered to as infintry on wheels but we're really not doing much in Iraq right now. If I could go back I would have have gone 11b.

Thank you for stepping up and I wish you the best of luck.

Ok I messed up...

The waiver was for my learning disability..not for my broken leg as first thought. My recruiter made the mistake when he told me. It still sounds like they are covering there behinds, in case I get hurt or something. He still belives I will get the waiver.

I will keep youy guys updated

Sean

Back
Top Bottom