New Guy Here with a question?

I know the date and 98 is significant for compliant handguns. 94 for AWB/mags. Just must have not paid as much attention as I should have when I typed it.

Feeding Device.

Ok scenario, as I would like to exercise a *cough* freedom [rofl] of choice, on my handguns when I start purchasing. I select a pistol that was made post 1994. Its type and model did exist prior, just no major mods to the gun; so its a new gun although it's model/style has been around since before the ban. I buy it new, but find aftermarket magazines of high capacity, or ones that are for another firearm but fit the gun perfectly(actually better from most reviews i read). (assuming these magazines are made PRE-BAN) Is the law hitting on the "born on date" of the firearm or the born on date of the magazine? I know for sure new high cap mags are a dead on NO-NO. But what if the combination is newer gun, but older magazines? Any and all input appreciated.
Basically are all "newer" pistols automatically cut off from hi-cap mags if made post 1994?

In MA your only concern in that regard is the manufacture date of the magazine. No handguns are banned in Massachusetts. Finding an older preban mag that fits a newer gun is perfectly fine.

Thanks vellnueve, that was my suspicion. But how do they know if its older or newer? do they actually have stamoing dates on most mags? I just read through a post on some glocks and their "generations" and not even glock being perfectly sure whats preban and whats not? I mean its one heck of a gray area to be in I think... given if some LEO has a chip and feels like busting your balls. thats some hard time there.[sad2] Anyone who can share verifiable input (date stamp on a magazine?/styling? ) its much appreciated!

This is the danger that we in Massachusetts live with. Dating the magazine, or even the ability to do so, depends on what manufacturer/model it is. Some are easy to tell due to different design characteristics, while others cannot be distinguished. I tend to err on the side of caution and only buy those that I can 100% be sure are preban (for example, Glock NFML mags)

Back
Top Bottom