New guy wants to know: Where to start?

Hello,

I'm new to shooting and am interested in competitive shooting, but it's not clear to me where to start.

The general advice everyone gives for the first gun is a .22, which seems reasonable, but where does this fit into the scheme of things in the competitions? If I want to get into competition, do i have to go out and buy 2-3 guns right away?

Can a low end .22 (say a s&w model 22 or equivilent) hold up against a higher end model? (I know an $$$$ gun in my hands will be no better than a cheap one, but what about later on?)

Can someone give me a breakdown of the competition types available in MA and how a newer shooter might participate? I am looking for a local gun club with some form of competative shooting to join. Is there a association I should look for?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Welcome to the forum Matt!

GOAL membership would be a wise idea. Their monthly newspaper also lists most competitions held in MA . . . it typically runs a number of pages long.

I am NOT a competitive shooter, so I'll let others fill in the details.

Every gun club seems to participate in a county league with pistol and rifle shooting weekly. They use .22LR for the pistol matches.

There is IDPA/IPSC (defensive style shooting) and Cowboy shooting matches at various clubs.

CMP/High Power rifle matches with military rifles (M1, AR15, M14/M1A1, etc.) are also frequent matches.

First you should figure out if you want to do pistol shooting or rifle shooting, that will help narrow it down some.

As you can see, there is a lot to choose from here.

Matt:

Bullseye competition with a local club would be a good place to start. Our club (Riverside in Hudson, MA) competes in the Maspenock League, which includes a number of local clubs.

The matches are held once a week on Wednesday nights throughout the fall and winter, and into the spring. They consist of three stages - a "slow-fire" stage (10 rounds, one-handed, from a standing position in 10 minutes), a timed stage (two strings of 5-rounds, each string fired in 20 seconds), and a rapid stage (two strings of 5-rounds, each fired in 10 seconds). All stages are shot in 50-ft indoor ranges.

The matches usually go from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM, and when you're not shooting the targets, you're sitting around with a bunch of like-minded individuals shooting the..... bull.

The best part of Bullseye is that you are really just competing against yourself. Only the top 5 scores on each team count towards the team total, so if you are just starting out or have a bad night, you don't affect the team's chance of winning!

You can certainly start off with a S&W 22A, but most folks eventually move on to S&W 41's or Rugers at the mid-level. The more expensive guns are Pardini's and Hammerli's that are what many top-level shooters use.

If you are interested in finding out more about Bullseye or Riverside, send me an email - be happy to go into more detail.

Ken Kennedy
Chair, Rifle & Pistol Cmte
Riverside Gun Club

email: [email protected]

Ken,

That sounds like exactly what I'd want! Low pressure! Simple! Easy to practice. CHEAP!

This IDPA and ISPC stuff seems a little intimidating for the new guy.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Don't write off IPSC too fast. The part that intimidates people the most is drawing, which happens to be the easiest part to practice and actually is pretty simple. You can do it at home whenever you want with dryfire. The other intimidating part is speed, which just appears one day, hopefully.

Although you can't compete with a .22, a Glock or any 1911 can sustain you from the beginning to master level. A Glock 22 (if you like Glocks) is particularly good because you can use in it in Production, Limited 10, and Limited with factory ammo.

I started off a few years ago in Bullseye. It was fun and relaxing. I found IPSC more fun, dynamic, and active. You never shoot two identical matches. I wish I had not been intimidated from the start and had gotten into IPSC sooner.

We actually have a great USPSA (the American segment of IPSC) system in MA and RI. You can shoot every weekend in the warmer monthes and usually once a month during the winter. With winter here, outdoor matches are coming to a close. However, the Westfield Club will be holding matches at S&W in Springfield soon. Drop in and check out a match. It is fun to watch regardless of whether you decide to try it.

Check out www.brianenos.com for everything IPSC. Here's the schedule and results page for our area: http://www.uspsa-ne.org/matches.asp?year=2005

Steve

In the sprig, watch for the IDPA and IPSC beginner classes. Rob Boudre holds the IPSC intro at the Hopkington Sportsman's club and does a fantastic job bringing you up to speed.

I've started an IDPA intro class at Riverside in Hudson which has also become popular.

You get a good taste of what the competition is all about and it's low key and well supervised.

Heck, take both classes and you'll have some kind of action somewhere just about every weekend of the year.

Harvard Sportsman's club is really big into the Cowboy shoots which I find very laid back compared to some of the other action shooting sports. And the people really make an event of it with costume and props.

There isn't as much silhouette as there once was, but if you like to shoot bullseye, this just makes the range a little longer and you get that satisfying 'ping' of a good hit as you knock the chicken, pig, ram, etc over.

Don't forget pin and plate shoots. Kocking over bowling pins and steel plates as fast as you can can get the blood pumping too.

Do as Len said and join GOAL to get the newspaper with all the competiton listed each month. You'll also get many club newsletters, the Mass Wildlife report, and the most detaield legal information there is. Best darn $35 you can spend.

Most club competitions do not require any membership. Most competition organizations do not require membership for the first match. You can have a lot of fun with off the shelf equipment until you become really proficient at some sport. Don't let your lack of equipment prevent you from having fun.

Just pick somethign that sounds like fun, contact someone to see what you need, show up, and let yourself just have a good time. Worry about score after you master the basics. We were ALL beginners once. Nobody will ever look down at you for being a beginer.

Use this forum to hook up with people doing what you want to try. Heck, even if it is something you don't have the gun for, I've yet to know a shooter that would not offer a gun to use.

As Nike made it's fortune saying - Just Do It.

Chris said:
Don't forget pin and plate shoots. Kocking over bowling pins and steel plates as fast as you can can get the blood pumping too.

Mass Rifle has action shooting of this sort that you can shoot with your .22 on certain days. It is a good intro.

Yep, and as a Cowboy guy, or as someone here likes to call it, "Retro IDPA." it's a lot of fun as well.

The only problem is you need a lot of gear to do it...respectivley.

Two pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun. But for the most part, a new user can find someone that will have the hardware to borrow. Then all you really need is a Hat and boots. I got by for some time in a cheap pair of Dickey's and a white shirt with the top of the color cut off to look like a band collar.

It's a lot of fun if you like playing cowboy. It's great for newbies as everyone is very helpful and friendly.

If you want to know more, PM me and I'll tell you about it, as well as take you to a shoot if you like.

Hey:

Let's not forget about CMP... old name DCM... as a way to get into competitve rifle shooting... on a shoestring... Most places have either M1 Garands or AR-15s for use with ammo or you can bring your own... you can also bring all your own equipment... Low pressure, lots of help available to new shooters. Where else can you shoot competitively for $5-25 per match???

Down the road you can get your own rifle, ammo, coat, mat, scope & stand, etc... If you are really interested you can even reload your own ammo to save some $$$.

There are usually matches somewhere in the NE every weekend on Sat and/or Sunday. Matches are usually 56 rounds or may be 88 rounds... Some ranges have walk-down targets while others have pits/butts where you take turns pulling targets/scoring for another relay of shooters. You can figure a well run match to run about 2-3 hours depending on the # of folks who come out to shoot.

Come on, give it a try.... I did.... and now I'm hooked!

Jon Frost
:D :D :D

My advice,

Definitely join goal. If not for the support of our 2nd amendment rights then for the monthly newspaper as Len said. Also hang out at the local range. Talk to the people there. You will find that there are a lot of people who like to do what you want. For a gun go to a good shop that has a good reputation such as Four Seasons or Northeast Trading, they both have knowledgeable staff that won’t try to sell you the wrong guns.

I gave up shooting rifles in the mid 80's and just recently got back in.

I shoot on the Riverside pistol team on Wednesdays with a MKIII Ruger
and i really enjoy the shoot and shootin the bull. I'd suggest you get into
it and go from there. (whatever club you join) You can ask questions
about anything related to firearms, up to and including what and where
the competiotions are.

Enjoy,

JimB

It depends. The key is what you shoot well and what fits your hand. If you are a new shooter, you might want to stick with 9mm -- it has less recoil than .40 or .357 Sig.

Lots of folks do well with Glocks. You'll have a hard time finding a Glock 34, but it's a pretty good gun IDPA. If you can't find that (and you probably can't) a Glock 17 will do.

Lots of folks in MA use Sigs. The full-size 226 or mid-size 229 would work fine. Again, I'd recommend 9mm.

Personally, I use a 1911. Although it is .45, it doesn't have much recoil because the 1911 is such a heavy gun.

If you want to use a wheel-gun, the S&W 625 is the way to go.

Jimb,

What guns do you already have? Are you shooting at the Riverside gun Club in Hudson? If so they have IDPA.

Respectfully,

jkelly

JimB said:
For those who shoot IDPA what would you recommend for a firearm.

Caliber, brand etc. if so why. Basically whats your prefernece.

Thanks,

JimB

For IDPA, I would suggest any carry type firearm you feel comfortable with.

Some suggestions from me would be the following:

S&W Model 10 4" Heavy barrel 38spl
S&W Model 65 4" heavy barrel 38/357
S&W Model 19 4" 38/357
S&W Model 66 4" 38/357

Those are all entry level firearms that can be purchased used and inexpensively. (Note there is a "theme" there)

Revolvers develop good trigger control.

Have fun what ever you choose. It is a great sport.

Gary

Thanks for the reply, i definitley agree with "what you feel comfortable with" theory is a definite. I went to the Marlboro gun show today and
my hand likes a Sig P220, prices were not bad except for a few.

I need to shoot them first, you can't buy a car unless you drive it...

JimB

Sigs tend to be quite accurate. You do have to get used to the long, hard, double-action trigger on the first shot, followed by the short, light, single-action trigger on the follow up shots.

Sigs also have a higher bore axis that, combined with a lightweight aluminum receiver, tends to give a bit more muzzle-flip.

Glocks & IDPA

I noticed in the replies that JimB asked about a good IDPA gun and someone else had mentioned a Glock 34 but they are somewhat hard to find. Being a VERY active IDPA shooter I have a couple of thoughts.

1) How many G34's would you like? I have plenty.

2) Full frame 9mm Glock 34's are a really decent gun for IDPA. If you want to shoot a compact gun (4" barrel) stick with 9mm Glock 19. The compact Glock 23 in .40S&W is a great carry gun and very accurate but they are also kinda 'barky'. (They jump around more). I've shot compact Glock 9's & .40's in competition and noticed an increase in my raw times when shooting the .40 due to slightly longer reacquisiton times. My vote goes for the G34 although the G17 is also well suited and slightly less expensive. I've also shot Sigs and Smiths with decent results but I keep circling back to Glocks because of the wide range and availabilty of not only the guns but parts, accessories, and especially reasonably priced mags.

In general 9mm is a good start point for myriad reasons. It's cheap, it's available everywhere and it's very managable from a recoil/reacquistion standpoint while still being considered to be a very accurate round.

... but then again getting out and rockin' with my .45 1911 or practicing shooting on the move/run with a compact or sub compact .40 is still a bunch-o-fun.

Re: Glocks & IDPA

Shooter Ready said:
I noticed in the replies that JimB asked about a good IDPA gun and someone else had mentioned a Glock 34 but they are somewhat hard to find.

The 34s are hard to find in MA since very few were sold pre-98. However, like you said, the 17 isn't a compromise and those are readily available refurbished.

Back
Top Bottom