• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hampshire HS student on the walkouts, his culture

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Opinion | Why I Didn’t Join My School’s Walkout
HANOVER, N.H. — I am a junior in high school, and I regularly shoot guns, for target practice and hunting. Going to school can be hard because most kids don’t understand how I live. It can be uncomfortable to be a gun-owning teenager right now, when high schools have become the centers of gun control protests. But there are many of us around the country.

I own firearms not only because I think they are cool, but also because they are considered a tool in my family. I have been brought up around guns all my life. Yes, I have used AR-15 semiautomatic rifles, and old Civil War rifles, too. I live on a farm where I hunt wild game and butcher animals humanely. Some kids at my school don’t understand why I hunt; they think that it is cruel and that raising beef cattle and chickens is bad. Sometimes I get the feeling these kids are afraid of me because I own firearms.

There was a walkout at my school last week. It was meant to honor the students who died in the school shooting in Florida, but it was also about protesting firearms. I didn’t join in. I feel horrible about the kids who were killed or hurt, but firearms aren’t the problem — people are.

Unless I'm missing it the NYT has shut down the comment section. Yesterday there were a couple thousand comments where NYT selected 50 of the most anti gun comments to flag for first reading. 50 out of 2000 isn't much, which is probably why the comment section is off.

If you buy a gun from a federally licensed seller, you have to do the federal background check, which can take more than an hour with all the paperwork. The gun seller should use common sense during that time to determine whether the buyer is in the right state of mind and will use a firearm only in legal ways.

This is a quote from the story right below the one referenced in the OP's post.

So now FFLs are supposed to be psychologists...? Shows how naive these students are.

This from a high school kid living in one of the most liberal cities in NH. Yeah NH!

We have a hs kid on coop at work every other week. He is a senior. He f***ing HATES liberals. Great kid, will make a fine electrician.

I think people who use guns in mass shootings are using those guns to seek help. There are other ways to get help, but the people who do these things have probably asked for help or have shown signs that they need it but were let down by the adults around them.
in the words of ted nugent.... "where have we seen this before?"

after the fact, how many times have we heard the shooter(s) were on someone's radar...parents, law or teachers for making threats and acting squirrely and the ball was dropped. there's also a fine line between violating civil liberties and ignoring erratic behavior.

Back
Top Bottom