New SKS, need some help

edin508

NES Member
So I bought this beauty a few months back and really haven't had the time to do anything with it. And, I have no idea where to start. Any good books to pick up or on-line sites that would help? Anyone here with some secrets to share?
And if anyone could give me some more info on this gun I would love it. It looks to be in new condition, there are only some small dents in the wood with no wear showing on anything else. I really don't know a damn thing about it besides the fact that I wanted it [smile]

SKS009.jpg

SKS007.jpg

SKS003.jpg

SKS005.jpg

Thanks !!

I can't believe it's been nine hours and Milsurps 4 Me hasn't chimed in! Must be sleeping, or something. I'm sure he will have some great hints for you, along with his usual warning: get all that gunk out of the bolt so the the firing pin moves freely.

Nice looking rifle!

It's ok, HE helped me with mine and boy did it help. First off, the link to surplus rifle is excellent, it has pictures and detailed instructions on a complete dissassembly. Follow it. You will need to strip the rifle to its bare bones. I would recommend making a batch of Ed's RED to soak all of the smaller components like the springs, gas piston, trigger assembly, etc. Use WD-40 to clean because it literally dissolves the cosmolene in front of your eyes, and it doesn't harm the metal. Avoid using it on the wood. For the wood, wood cleaners will work (even pledge works fine). I will send you a PM with the exact words advised for your own reference.

...and become very intimate with the gas valve system on the Yugo, 99% of the problems you may have with failing to feed or cycle go right back the that little black button. The gas system is finicky and some will tell you to go out and buy parts for it but with just a little attention yours will work just fine. Make sure it is clean and locked in the proper position before firing, any obstruction or if it's even slightly out of place will result in a weak cycle and a stuck bolt.

I think you will really like the SKS.

I can't believe it's been nine hours and Milsurps 4 Me hasn't chimed in! Must be sleeping, or something. I'm sure he will have some great hints for you, along with his usual warning: get all that gunk out of the bolt so the the firing pin moves freely.

Nice looking rifle!

I was sleeping.[grin]
I agree with Surplus Rifle's site and check the stickies in this section.

BTW... How you guys can sleep comfortably knowing your SKS is sitting there in slop is beyond me. I planned to wait till I was on vacation to clean my last one but had it done 2 days after I got it.
Cosmolene is addictive. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom