• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH 2021 Bill thread: Critical Bills need to be voted on 5/25

There will be a political training class in Concord, NH on 4/17. PM for details for those that are interested in learning how to protect our rights. (Open to MA residents as well)
Great! Now even the Republicans are offering "political training classes". If we fail them, we go to "summer" camp, da?

I didn't realize you were a Democrat!
I must say, I have been accused of many things, but after over 15 years involved in politics, I think this is the first time I have been accused of being a democrat...

"I must be a moderate...' LOL

As for this training, this is a class to teach gun owners how to be better political activists. We could use a few more fighting to protect our rights in NH and MA needs an entire army...

So this is a marksmanship course, then?
Kind of... This teaches you how to practice to be an effective political hunter that can put political hides on your wall instead of actual hides. Learning how to throw politicians out of office is a good skill to acquire. A 'marksmanship' course of sorts.

I got an email from "National Association for Gun Rights" opposing SB141. Who are these people anyway?

I got an email from "National Association for Gun Rights" opposing SB141. Who are these people anyway?

While their reasoning for opposition might have added context here, NAGR, Dudley Brown, et al are pretty well known f*** ups. Pretty much ignore much of what they say and discard anything they send to you.

Without arguing for a week about it, some gun owners, and at least one gun rights focused lawyer who (to be fair I will add reportedly) has used the gun line for years as a way to help clear clients problems without subjecting them to the full fed process, like/prefer NH having some control/access to background checks.

At a minimum, if you are denied by them, you can make an appointment and find out why in person if need be. Then at a minimum you know what's gotta get fixed. The fed process involves fingerprints and can be a big wait historically of even a year (although one member here reports recently it took 3 weeks, not bad).

Left wingers or those who really support the background check ideas figure at the state level there is better access to new criminal or restraining order info, which probably is true.

Today I picked up a new Glock, took 10 minutes. I think really what would satisfy all mostly would be, staff the gun line right always and keep waits down.

While their reasoning for opposition might have added context here, NAGR, Dudley Brown, et al are pretty well known f*** ups. Pretty much ignore much of what they say and discard anything they send to you.

I generally do but this one stood out. Their reasoning is the fed system can be used for backdoor registration.

While that is sound, even with the current NH gun line you are filling out a 4473. Your stuff is on record and in the FFL's book.
Dudley said:

"While not ideal and certainly an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms, handing it over to the federal government is a worse solution than the problem that the proponents of Senate Bill 141 are trying to solve."

So he is haveing hand gun buyers wait 3, 4 or maybe even 5 weeks? Rifle and shotgun byers are cleared in minutes. Lets face it in this interconected world theres a record everywhere. lots of dealers use electronic records.

Dudley said:

"While not ideal and certainly an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms, handing it over to the federal government is a worse solution than the problem that the proponents of Senate Bill 141 are trying to solve."

So he is haveing hand gun buyers wait 3, 4 or maybe even 5 weeks? Rifle and shotgun byers are cleared in minutes. Lets face it in this interconected world theres a record everywhere. lots of dealers use electronic records.

Today took 10 minutes and apparently that was longer than usual, never seen this 5 week stuff you speak of but experiences obviously vary. A long wait during panic buys a few days tops, but again, its minutes now.

What they ought to legislate is the staffing, ie levels to keep average checks to say on hour or less. Currently, correctly staffed, it's fast - in practical terms as fast as the feds. Then the only argument is a little extra spending, which nobody would be freaking out about like they do when everyone is taking > 1 day.

Add: maybe the way to write the law would be 90% of checks < 1 hour. Probably attainable while making room for the really hard checks that take days even for the feds.

Today took 10 minutes and apparently that was longer than usual, never seen this 5 week stuff you speak of but experiences obviously vary. A long wait during panic buys a few days tops, but again, its minutes now.

What they ought to legislate is the staffing, ie levels to keep average checks to say on hour or less. Currently, correctly staffed, it's fast - in practical terms as fast as the feds. Then the only argument is a little extra spending, which nobody would be freaking out about like they do when everyone is taking > 1 day.

Add: maybe the way to write the law would be 90% of checks < 1 hour. Probably attainable while making room for the really hard checks that take days even for the feds.
But there is already a system that achieve your goal of 90% < 1 hour, and it saves all the extra cost that additional staffing would need. So why not use that system?

And remember, NH is a partial point of presence, the "gun line" still runs the Fed check, they just also run their own local checks. Anything that would deny/delay on the Fed check still flows down to the "gun line". And sure they can resolve any of the local checks that cause a deny, but if its Fed that still needs to be cleared there. So when you hear those stories about a "gun line" denial being resolved with a phone call, that's only because it was the "gun line" that screwed up in the first place, it would not have been a denial in the Fed system. They even have a name for that statistic (info I got from the DOS and posted in another thread), it's called an "Amended Denial" Transfer wait times?

I know some are concerned that changes in the Fed law could make thing worse for all of us, that is a separate issue. Any additional Fed restriction will be applied to us with or without the "gun line". FFLs have to follow the Fed laws. If the "gun line" became a way around the Fed law they would just revoke NH's point of presence status. That status is based on an agreement, the law allows it but all it takes is a letter to revoke it.

I generally do but this one stood out. Their reasoning is the fed system can be used for backdoor registration.
That claim makes no sense. Anybody have a link to NAGR's reasoning?

As 42! mentioned, the state PoC is a pass-through to NICS, having the state inline doesn't prevent any of the potential abuses of NICS in terms of registration, denying people who shouldn't be, returning "delay" status on a whim, etc.

What they ought to legislate is the staffing, ie levels to keep average checks to say on hour or less. ...
Add: maybe the way to write the law would be 90% of checks < 1 hour.
What we really need is a way to get on the Permanent Brady Exception list, just flash an "enhanced" P&R and be on the way, no phone call needed.

But there is already a system that achieve your goal of 90% < 1 hour, and it saves all the extra cost that additional staffing would need. So why not use that system?
Because that leads to a single point system and any critical system should have multi-point access. Would you drive your car with only one brake system? (Today's cars have 3: (2) separate parallel hydraulic circuits and a back up mechanical 'parking brake')

Many people believe that you call the NHGL and then they call the NICS center. That is not what happens.

Both the NICS call center AND the NHGL both have access to the same three databases. (III, NCIC and NICS). The difference is one is staffed and funded by Pelosi/Schumer and one is staffed and funded by NH legislators. Frankly until the repeal this unconstitutional law, they, both Congress and the NH Legislature should mandate that the operators of this system use every available resource at their disposal to speed things up. More options to get our wait times down is better.

BTW, what has congress taken over that produced something we like? Education, Healthcare, Banking, Patriot Act....

Instant does not mean one hour, and it certainly does not mean one day. instant means < 5minutes.
Have you read H.R. 8 or H.R. 1446 ?

PS all you who seem to like this bill so much...
DID YOU ACTUALLY READ IT?
Waiting until 2022 is a good idea???

7 County Sheriff's Offices; Appropriation for Hardware, Software and Training. The sum of $100,000 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2021 is hereby appropriated as follows: the sum of $10,000 shall be appropriated to each county sheriff's office for the purchase of hardware and software and to defray training costs required to comply with the provisions of RSA 159-D. The sum shall be a charge against the department of safety, permits and licensing account 02-23-23-234010-2913, line 050.

8 Effective Date.

I. Section 7 of this act shall take effect upon its passage.

II. The remainder of this act shall take effect June 1, 2022.

PPS There are numerous other issues with the bill... Be very careful what you ask for, you might not like what you get.
'Don't judge a book by its cover', Don't judge a bill by the title...

And remember, NH is a partial point of presence, the "gun line" still runs the Fed check, they just also run their own local checks. Anything that would deny/delay on the Fed check still flows down to the "gun line". And sure they can resolve any of the local checks that cause a deny, but if its Fed that still needs to be cleared there. So when you hear those stories about a "gun line" denial being resolved with a phone call, that's only because it was the "gun line" that screwed up in the first place, it would not have been a denial in the Fed system. They even have a name for that statistic (info I got from the DOS and posted in another thread), it's called an "Amended Denial" Transfer wait times?

I know some are concerned that changes in the Fed law could make thing worse for all of us, that is a separate issue. Any additional Fed restriction will be applied to us with or without the "gun line". FFLs have to follow the Fed laws. If the "gun line" became a way around the Fed law they would just revoke NH's point of presence status. That status is based on an agreement, the law allows it but all it takes is a letter to revoke it.

Because that leads to a single point system and any critical system should have multi-point access. Would you drive your car with only one brake system? (Today's cars have 3: (2) separate parallel hydraulic circuits and a back up mechanical 'parking brake')

Many people believe that you call the NHGL and then they call the NICS center. That is not what happens.

Both the NICS call center AND the NHGL both have access to the same three databases. (III, NCIC and NICS). The difference is one is staffed and funded by Pelosi/Schumer and one is staffed and funded by NH legislators. Frankly until the repeal this unconstitutional law, they, both Congress and the NH Legislature should mandate that the operators of this system use every available resource at their disposal to speed things up. More options to get our wait times down is better.

BTW, what has congress taken over that produced something we like? Education, Healthcare, Banking, Patriot Act....

Instant does not mean one hour, and it certainly does not mean one day. instant means < 5minutes.
Have you read H.R. 8 or H.R. 1446 ?

How design describes it is the way it was explained to me and how I understood it until some of these comments about NHGL only taking orders from the feds was brought into question. Similarly my understanding was always appeals were processed by NHGL when they made the call, also brought into question by similar comments.

If that is all true what you say, honestly it would be insane to hand it all over to a remote nameless/faceless remote alphabet agency IMO.

But either way, all you need to do that will generally please everyone is to staff the gun line right. Then people who make an issue of waits see their problems resolved, people who make an issue of "safety" see their problems resolved, and those who feel the gun line assures freedom and due process are happy too. Only downside is it costs a little money, and even with our small NH budget it is seriously a little - less so if we aren't staffing it with actual troopers and use full time agents instead.

Sure, the availability of a permit to avoid background checks all together is probably a good idea that also will help free up the system even - IMO this and staffing requirements would be a better use of government time versus trying to dismantle the gun line which is controversial to some on both sides of the isle.

How design describes it is the way it was explained to me and how I understood it until some of these comments about NHGL only taking orders from the feds was brought into question. Similarly my understanding was always appeals were processed by NHGL when they made the call, also brought into question by similar comments.

If that is all true what you say, honestly it would be insane to hand it all over to a remote nameless/faceless remote alphabet agency IMO.

But either way, all you need to do that will generally please everyone is to staff the gun line right. Then people who make an issue of waits see their problems resolved, people who make an issue of "safety" see their problems resolved, and those who feel the gun line assures freedom and due process are happy too. Only downside is it costs a little money, and even with our small NH budget it is seriously a little - less so if we aren't staffing it with actual troopers and use full time agents instead.

Sure, the availability of a permit to avoid background checks all together is probably a good idea that also will help free up the system even - IMO this and staffing requirements would be a better use of government time versus trying to dismantle the gun line which is controversial to some on both sides of the isle.
A permit to avoid background checks is a really bad idea - look what the MA FID of 40 years ago turned into.

A permit to avoid background checks is a really bad idea - look what the MA FID of 40 years ago turned into.

Agree and disagree. There are quite a few states that have this and it works. It was nice in NC when I could just show my permit, fill out a 4473, pay, and leave with no phone calls.

I don't think we should be in that business as NH is a Constitutional Carry state. Less permits are better. Local PDs don't need the additional admin burden again either.

Back
Top Bottom