• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH to MA Transfer

Good evening.
I'm trying not to post the same thing that has been 1000 times but I can't seem to find the answer in the existing posts. My father in NH has given me 2 rifles. One is Krag and the other a .22 competition rifle. Neither prohibited or high cap. Do I need an FFL or can I just fill out the transfer registration on the MA Gun Transaction Portal and take ownership?

Thanks

Good evening.
I'm trying not to post the same thing that has been 1000 times but I can't seem to find the answer in the existing posts. My father in NH has given me 2 rifles. One is Krag and the other a .22 competition rifle. Neither prohibited or high cap. Do I need an FFL or can I just fill out the transfer registration on the MA Gun Transaction Portal and take ownership?

Thanks
Im not a lawyer nor have I completed a transaction personally such as the one you described, but my cursory understanding is that a resident from NH transferring a firearm to a resident of MA needs to go through an FFL.

Good evening.

Thanks
Go to a nh ffl with him and have them transferred to you then register them within 7 days when you get home. Done.

Thanks all! MA website makes it sound like I could just reg them on my end and call it a day.
The MA portal is just focused on state law, but as M1911 mentioned this is federal law that you need to involve an FFL for the transfer. Use the portal after once you get them home after the FFL transfer (register, no info on source).

Back
Top Bottom