NICS Delay

I purchased a New Sig yesterday at Four Seasons and when they did my NICS check it came back delayed. Now I just bought a hand gun a month ago from Four Seasons with no problem ... why would the Feds delay my purchase?? Has anyone else had to deal with this?? I was told by the 3rd business day if the Feds have not responded then I can come pick up my gun.

It happens.

I have read it is common place and the cause is usually Name crossing or Mis-Matched info ... I just figured since Im already in the system it would have been fine as nothing has changed in a month since my last purchase? Sorry Just a little annoyed I thought that the fingerprinting in triplicate and naming rights to my first born when I filled out my applications would take care of any confusion when I went to purchase.

I get delayed a lot. I have been told that names are similar to offenders and get flagged by the system. Per NICS procedures, an operator who has a flagged name must find a supervisor who must then review the flagged name and either approve or decline. If a supervisor is not available - the NICS operator will delay the sale pending supervisor review. Your name will get stuck back in the pile and by the time the supervisors catch up (assuming they catch up at all) you will have waited your 5 days or whatever it is. I do not know if this is true, but I think it sounds plausible.

Have you considered getting a UPIN?

It's possible someone with a similar name to yours was convicted of a crime. What happens is a false positive occurs in the system and the conflict has to get bumped up to a higher level NICS examiner where they "sort it out" and then issue a proceed. The deal is that the typical NICS examiner only has access to very little information about you.

If you buy guns on a regular basis and you keep getting delayed, you may want to apply for a VAF UPIN with the FBI NICS/CJIS people. This will give you a special federal pin # that will allow the NICS examiner to proceed you based on additional information that they will have access to via the pin. (Basically, the feds run a detailed BG check on you (To eleiminate any falsing) and then they associate this data with your UPIN.

Before anyone asks, this has NOTHING to do with the PIN that you get with your MA LTC. The UPIN is a FEDERAL thing. (This bears mentioning because this comes up over and over again). Most gun buyers in the US do not need or have a UPIN, but if NICS keeps giving you delays or false denials it is a good thing to get.

All I know is, if I ever got delayed, and it wasn't because of a system being down (which does happen sometimes) I'd be getting a UPIN post haste. It's bad enough having to go through NICS, never mind getting a delay. Additionally, some crappier gun shops tend to treat "delay" customers like second class citizens. Some of them have policies in place where they will not transfer a gun after the 3 days (even though they legally can!) instead only doing so when NICS calls them back. [thinking]

-Mike

Last edited:
I was researching it .. how and where can I get One

Its through the FBI -try calling 1-877-324-6427.

Listen to the prompts, you want non FFL customer service. They can direct you how to apply. They will send you some documents, fill them out and send them back. I think you have to get finger printed again. IIRC.

Last edited:
Well I think I figured out One of the problems .. When I purchased my 1st gun I didnt use my SSN number on the form ... This time I did and it Delayed .. reading around various boards seems that it happens often when you include your SSN. So I think this time Ill let it slide. Next purchase without my SSN and see what occurs and if it delays again then I will opt for the UPIN. In the meantime Im going to apply for the UPIN just in case

It happened to me a couple of years ago at Rileys, when I bought my Ruger .308. The guy behind the counter told me that the reason for the delay is usually the MA system being down. He said that the FBI's system checks federal records and then electronically queries the individual states (Interstate Identification Index). If one state is down, it causes a delay. Somebody out there please tell me if this is the actual case or not. All I hear is one side of the conversation, when the dealer calls it in. I don't know exactly what happens behind the scenes at the FBI's check center in Clarksburg, W. VA.

Last edited:
I was researching it .. how and where can I get One

THis is a snippet from the FBI website:

If you continue to experience transaction denials or lengthy delays as a result of subsequent firearm background checks, you may be eligible for entry into the NICS Voluntary Appeal File (VAF). For more information pertaining to the VAF, you may contact the NICS Customer Service at 1-877-444-NICS (6427).

Hope this helps. I tried to track down a form but I was unable to do so.

--Mike

Well I think I figured out One of the problems .. When I purchased my 1st gun I didnt use my SSN number on the form ... This time I did and it Delayed .. reading around various boards seems that it happens often when you include your SSN. So I think this time Ill let it slide. Next purchase without my SSN and see what occurs and if it delays again then I will opt for the UPIN. In the meantime Im going to apply for the UPIN just in case

What remotely rational purpose is there for you to provide the SSN to begin with? It is NOT required, nor should it be.

Step away from the "Jolt" and no-one gets hurt!

I was more along the lines of ... " I want a Sig Mosquito Daddy and I want It now!!!!!!" Should have seen the look of rejection when they told me it was delayed good thing I purchased a range bag .. 4 boxes of 9mm and 2 boxes of CCI Mags... I woulda slumped out of there kicking a can with my hands in my pockets sayin "Gee wilikers"

I have been marked "delayed" every time for years now. I had not purchased a firearm in a shop since 2003. I just did at Kittery Trading Post in December 2010 and got marked "delayed" again. This time, they gave me the VAF application, which I sent in a few weeks ago. I look forward to getting my UPIN #.

It happened to me a couple of years ago at Rileys, when I bought my Ruger .308. The guy behind the counter told me that the reason for the delay is usually the MA system being down. He said that the FBI's system checks federal records and then electronically queries the individual states (Interstate Identification Index). If one state is down, it causes a delay. Somebody out there please tell me if this is the actual case or not. All I hear is one side of the conversation, when the dealer calls it in. I don't know exactly what happens behind the scenes at the FBI's check center in Clarksburg, W. VA.

Thats not quite right. The III file is maintained by the FBI. It is each states responsibility to transmit qualifying records to the III file. When a query of the III fie is made its on one machine in one place.
A very common problem is the state will send the original file but not updates.

IE your arrested, arraigned and on bail. The state sends that to the III database. Your charges are dismissed or somehow the case is favorably discharged and you can legaly own guns again. The state fails to send the updated info. You wil be delayed on the old data in the III file. The NICS supervisor will contact the state of record for the complete file, see the dismissal or whaterver and proceed the sale. III file only exists on arraigned or better criminal cases.

File for a UPIN this will bypass all common names and such and ony rely on the info in the VAF.

I have been marked "delayed" every time for years now. I had not purchased a firearm in a shop since 2003. I just did at Kittery Trading Post in December 2010 and got marked "delayed" again. This time, they gave me the VAF application, which I sent in a few weeks ago. I look forward to getting my UPIN #.

Did you need to submit new Finger print cards along with your VAF application? I was reading the instructs and it required fingerprint cards be submitted along with the app

Thats not quite right. The III file is maintained by the FBI. It is each states responsibility to transmit qualifying records to the III file. When a query of the III fie is made its on one machine in one place.
A very common problem is the state will send the original file but not updates.

IE your arrested, arraigned and on bail. The state sends that to the III database. Your charges are dismissed or somehow the case is favorably discharged and you can legaly own guns again. The state fails to send the updated info. You wil be delayed on the old data in the III file. The NICS supervisor will contact the state of record for the complete file, see the dismissal or whaterver and proceed the sale. III file only exists on arraigned or better criminal cases.

File for a UPIN this will bypass all common names and such and ony rely on the info in the VAF.
Thanks for the clarification, Talon3. In my case, it turned out to be a minor inconvenience (another ride from Dracut up to Hooksett), but I combined this second trip with a visit to a friend who lives in the area. I paid for the rifle in advance and I only had to present my receipt and sign one more paper upon taking possession of it. The folks at Riley's treated me courteously and professionally the whole time.

After 3 delays in a row within a 9 month time frame i got a UPIN number. My dealer still has to spend an extra amount of time on the phone with NICS.It saves a lot of gas and time !

There is no intelligent reason to provide the SSN.

Rather, as this thread shows, it is COUNTER-productive.

Those who experience constant NICS delays should get the UPIN, as noted.

Is the UPIN the PIN that was issued with my LTC? Have they started to issue them together?

No, it's not. I covered this in post #6, attempting to forestall someone asking this question..... Fail on my part for assuming someone would actually read it.

(Sound warning- loud explosion/crash)

[rofl]

I apologize. I'm just in that kind of a mood today.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not. I covered this in post #6, attempting to forestall someone asking this question..... Fail on my part for assuming someone would actually read it.

How presumptuous of you.

Especially given the track record on this forum in that regard.

(Sound warning- loud explosion/crash)

[rofl]

I apologize. I'm just in that kind of a mood today.

-Mike

No apology needed. I got my answer and thats what matters and I am sure others apreciate your direct answer as well. I am in the process of reading Stephen Kings Under the Dome right now so forum entries over 3 paragraphs are getting a light read right now to save my eyes for those nearly 1100 pages. I only have about 100 pages left so I will be back to reading the unebridged forum entries soon. stories soon.

And the video is pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally got my Sig today at Four Seasons of Course the feds did not send a response back as why I was delayed nor did I expect them too. I did feel a little better as the gentleman in front of me was there for the very same reason and he was much older than I. So it will be interesting on my next purchase to see what happens. I have my app filled out for my UPIN in case I run into this issue again

sig_sauer_mosquito_pistol.jpg

Hi all, i am new to this site. I realize that this is kind of an old thread but i would like to share the very same thing that happened to me last week, and at Four Seasons as well go figure. This would be my first purchase about a month after receiving my class A LTC license, i thought i would take a ride and check this place out seeing how the prices are very reasonable and i really had to see all the firearms, to figure out what i wanted. I ended up going twice because i was stuck between buying the walther PPS 9mm or the smith and wesson m&p 9c 9mm.....i ended up purchasing the M&P i really like the feel of it better than the Walther plus it holds more rounds, and it is fairly small if needed to carry. I fell in love with it and had to have it basically, the only thing that i was not expecting to hear from one of the workers is that i was delayed, i was not familiar with that being my first purchase in all, so i was like how could that be scratching my head. But after some research and alot of reading of the helpful info you guys are nice enough to post on here i came down with the conclusion that it might be that possibly it was due to me and my father having the same name he is a SR and i am a JR same middle name and everything. But there is also another guy that lives further away in MA that has the same name too, maybe he has some kind of record or did some act of crime i dont know.....all as i know is that i was so disappointed all day that day....i was so excited before all that too, just before the holidays too..BAHHH
Hopefully i here back from FS soon.....Please feel free to comment on this, and thanks for reading.

I'm the proud owner of a UPIN. I had problems from day one with delays when they ran a NICS check on me. The UPIN works great. I even had one case where they didn't put in my UPIN and it came back allowed.

It only takes about a month or so to get the UPIN. Worth the effort if you don't want to wait three days.

Back
Top Bottom