No limit CMP Inlands

Just saw on the CMP site that they have more Inland M1 carbines than originally thought. So now they want to move them out prior to them processing and selling the Underwood carbines in 4 weeks, so they're selling Inlands again, and have removed the (1) per customer limit for the Inlands only.

Now I'm torn between scrounging for the $$ for an Inland, or waiting another 48 hours for the big mystery announcement that was supposed to be this past Monday.
[crying]

From the talk in the forums it seems it will be about the garands...

I was planning on getting an underwood on sept 4... do I wait or pick up an Inland now??

Last edited:
OK...novice C&R guy here...the Garrand is the big daddy obvioulsy (no pun intended Big Daddy 45 acp) but isn't the M-1 lighter and cheaper to shoot? Which one if only one? And if it is the M-1...Inland or Underwood?? Again I have no clue and I'm not sure I can even afford either one but sure like to think about it. Your direction is appreciated.

M1 = Garand: Full length rifle with 8-rd clip (not mag), it was the US std issue in WWII, .30-'06

M1 Carbine: Carbine (shorter) length and lighter weight than M1 Garand, .30Carbine ammo in 15, 20, 30 rd mags (not clips)

M1 Garand:

garand.jpg

M1 Carbine:

m1car.jpg

OK...novice C&R guy here...the Garrand is the big daddy obvioulsy (no pun intended Big Daddy 45 acp) but isn't the M-1 lighter and cheaper to shoot? Which one if only one? And if it is the M-1...Inland or Underwood?? Again I have no clue and I'm not sure I can even afford either one but sure like to think about it. Your direction is appreciated.

Which ammo is cheaper is really going to depend on what and where you buy. Right now CMP has Greek .30-06 at .23/round, which is higher than it was, but still a pretty good price (it's supposed to be good ammo). You can buy the cheap Russian steel case .30 Carbine ammo from CMP for .19/round, but a lot of people don't like shooting that stuff (and you can't reload it). The Aguila .30 Carbine they sell is running for .24/round, actually more expensive than the .30-06.

As for other sources, I know a bunch of shops that sell the CMP .30-06 by the box at a big premium over what you pay if you buy directly from CMP. Otherwise, I don't know what either is selling for locally or online, but I would venture to say the best prices (especially for the .30-06) are from CMP.

But honestly, we're talking about historical firearms, pieces of art, really, delivered to your door for about $500 each. There's no reason why you shouldn't have one of each!

If it's your first M1 carbine and you don't have a specific reason to get one of the more rare - and expensive - models, I'd recommend going with the Inland and using the money you save to get accessories such as the sling, oiler, mags and cleaning / maintenance supplies.

Then start saving up for a Garand...

I admit to being a novice but I really am not an idiot!

I know the difference between an M-1 Garrand and the M-1 Carbine...thanks for picking up my stupidity there.

I've been trying to figure out something to buy and use as a shooter and have been considering a bunch of stuff including a French MAS 39, a YUGO SKS, AK, etc. Price matters but something like an M-1 Carbine is history and really cool in my mind. I'd love to start collecting US military arms (they can be so expensive) but foreign milsurps are so much more affordable and with a C&R very easy to acquire.

Thanks for the advice.

I know the difference between an M-1 Garrand and the M-1 Carbine...thanks for picking up my stupidity there.

I've been trying to figure out something to buy and use as a shooter and have been considering a bunch of stuff including a French MAS 39, a YUGO SKS, AK, etc. Price matters but something like an M-1 Carbine is history and really cool in my mind. I'd love to start collecting US military arms (they can be so expensive) but foreign milsurps are so much more affordable and with a C&R very easy to acquire.

Thanks for the advice.

A MAS 49 or 49/56 will be hard to find ammo for. While they're supposed to be great semi auto rifles, they are getting pricey and 7.5x54 ammo is rare. SKS rifles are more accurate than AK types but are limited to 10 round fixed magazines. After market add on magazines rarely work and are illegal in Massachusetts.
The US M1 rifles are collectable but unfortunately everyone knows this now and Saving Pvt Ryan/Band of Brothers have made them even more desireable, hence more of a price hike in the past 7 or so years since those films/shows came out.
It really comes down to what you can afford. An M1 Carbine will run you between $500 - $600. M1 Garands are higher.
I can't answer which one is best for you. You'd have to decide if you want long range accuracy and power of a heavier rifle like the Garand, or shorter range, more rounds, and a lighter gun like the Carbine.
If you want a shooter you can't beat an SKS for price. Plus 7.62x39 ammo is still fairly affordable. Just avoid Wolf steel cased ammo. The primers are too hard for SKS firing pins.

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think anyone was trying to insult you. Personally, five years ago I didn't know there even was such a thing as an M1 carbine. I thought all M1s were Garands, and that all Garands were either Springfield Armory or Winchester. I know people who don't realize there's a difference between Springfield Armory, the former armory in Springfield, MA and the company out of Illinois. Just trying to be helpful. There's a ton of stuff regarding firearms I don't know about, that others wouldn't think twice about someone NOT knowing.

Thanks for the advice.

Most milsurp rifles are all going to be affordable - some more than others, but most $500 and under. The affordability really comes down to the ammo, and unless you've got a .22 conversion kit on it, it's all going to be expensive. That aside, the cheapest caliber you're going to find in a milsurp rifle is probably 7.62x39mm (plenty of current manufacture, not as much demand as the NATO calibers, etc), so you're probably looking at an SKS or AK.

I have an SKS (you can find 'em for around $200 at your local shop), and it looks like I'll be getting an AK on Saturday (WASRs are about $350). They're not the finest firearms in the world, but they run and run and run.

If you can somehow swing it get both. CMP is probably the best deal you will find for either rifle and you can be sure that prices will only continue to go up. As far as which is cheaper to shoot, besides the price per round it can also depend on how much you will shoot of a particular caliber but It's quickly getting to a point where nothing is cheap to shoot any more...

For those who reload .30 carbine, how much do you figure it costs you per round to reload, factoring in the cost of primers, powerder, bullets, and the life cycle of the brass, but not counting the investment in the equipment?

It really comes down to what you can afford. An M1 Carbine will run you between $500 - $600. M1 Garands are higher.
I can't answer which one is best for you. You'd have to decide if you want long range accuracy and power of a heavier rifle like the Garand, or shorter range, more rounds, and a lighter gun like the Carbine.
Get BOTH!! I did - they're two very different rifles, both with their own characters good points and bad points, and both are GREAT rifles.

Commie stuff? pfui! AFTER I get my IBM carbine, maybe.

Get BOTH!! I did - they're two very different rifles, both with their own characters good points and bad points, and both are GREAT rifles.

Commie stuff? pfui! AFTER I get my IBM carbine, maybe.

Get both AND a 1903 AND a 1917. I think CMP is sold out of 1917s, but you can still find them around. Good ol' fashion American muscle [smile]

Posted on the CMP website, Inlands are once again sold out..... I hope my order is filled..

Probably dealers going nuts after the 1 per customer limit was lifted. Expect to see those Carbines going for $700 on Gun Broker next week.

Back
Top Bottom