By DOUG GLASS
Associated Press Writer
Advertisement
Buy AP Photo Reprints

Multimedia
Venison 101
Your Questions Answered
Ask AP: Building windmills, seized drug prices

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- A study on bullet fragmentation begun over concern about lead in hunter-harvested deer has found fragments spread farther than most hunters might expect, Minnesota wildlife officials said.

The Department of Natural Resources found lead fragments as far as 18 inches away from the wound in its tests of different bullets fired into sheep carcasses.

"These fragments really go a long way," said Lou Cornicelli, the DNR's big game program coordinator and a study co-author. "The take-home is if you shoot lead bullets, there's going to be lead in the venison and there's not much you can do about it."

Lead in venison became an issue in March when samples of ground venison in North Dakota food pantries tested positive for traces of lead. Lead also was soon discovered in venison donated to Minnesota food banks.

The study found that bullets fired from rifles fragmented more than those fired from shotguns or muzzleloaders. And it found that cheaper, fast-mushrooming lead-core bullets spread fragments farther than copper-jacketed or all-copper bullets engineered to mushroom more slowly and penetrate farther.

The study also found that rinsing carcasses didn't eliminate lead. Instead, it may simply spread the lead to other areas of the meat.

Minnesota's venison donation program will operate this year, though far fewer processors have signed up. Heidi Kassenborg, director of the state Agriculture Department's dairy and food inspection division, said processors have been required to attend seminars on safe handling of deer meat.

Only whole cuts of meat will be allowed because ground venison has a higher risk of lead contamination. The department also plans to X-ray random samples of venison as an extra check before it goes to food shelves, Kassenborg said.

The state Department of Health has advised that children under 6 and pregnant women avoid eating venison and the state's guidance to hunters butchering their own deer is to trim "liberally" around the wound.

"There is no definitive answer to how much additional meat you need to discard to ensure that no random lead particles remain," the DNR says in a list of 10 tips for hunters.

Dave Schad, director of the DNR's fish and wildlife division, said the study will help hunters choose bullets to cut their risk of lead contamination.

Dr. William Cornatzer, a Bismarck physician and hunter whose tests on venison spotlighted the problem in North Dakota, said he hadn't seen the Minnesota study but called it a wake-up call for hunters.

"It just is reconfirming that we need to be careful and probably switch to safer bullets," he said.

---

Associated Press writer Phyllis Mensing contributed to this story from Bismarck.

---

How have so many people eaten wild game shot with lead ammo for so long with no ill effects???

I will keep using lead ammo unless the lead free becomes cheaper.

Another hunter scare tactic probably to ban more ammo.

How have so many people eaten wild game shot with lead ammo for so long with no ill effects???

Chronic exposure to low levels of lead can lead to variety of problems such as headache, weight loss, irritably, nervousness, dizziness, etc. These symptoms may happen after years and years of low level exposure, but also can be caused by many other things. So you are not necessarily likely to connect the dots and assign blame to the lead exposure when these symptoms appear.

Deciding lead ingestion from shot in your wild game is not a problem is definitely your decision to make, and certainly nobody should take away your lead shot in an attempt to nanny you. But it's a bit myopic to dismiss the possibility of health issues from the lead out of hand because no immediate acute symptoms appear.

I try to avoid lead weights when fishing as well but it's hard. Fishing the CC canal and BBay has me handling lead jigs/sinkers all the time. I figure I got alot of exposure throughout the years with me using my teeth to open up lead split shots. I try to use the rubber core sinkers or steel now to minimize exposure.

Wouldn't lead ingestion have to outpace the body's ability to rid itself of the toxin, before it would become chronic? If I consumed hunter-harvested venison from a food bank on a regular basis, I might be concerned.

I just grilled up my last pound of venison sausage last night. Pass the floss honey - its that damn lead again!

Not!!

Back
Top Bottom