• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Standard licensing requirements -> Non-Statutory licensing requirements

"No problem, let me just notify my lawyer."

So, from my limited understanding of the law, it's a "may issue" license, so they can do whatever they want and they don't have to give me anything. I looked up the relevant court cases from comm2a et al and it appears that if I get denied (from what I was told a certainty) I'd be screwed for the future as well, unless I actually went to court. So, since I want to own a pistol and don't want the possibility of being ineligible for life, I will accept restrictions and live my life.

So, from my limited understanding of the law, it's a "may issue" license, so they can do whatever they want and they don't have to give me anything. I looked up the relevant court cases from comm2a et al and it appears that if I get denied (from what I was told a certainty) I'd be screwed for the future as well, unless I actually went to court. So, since I want to own a pistol and don't want the possibility of being ineligible for life, I will accept restrictions and live my life.

Can't say as I blame you unless you had a plan and legal counsel lined up ready to fight it. If we all support Comm2A maybe the day will come when this abuse of the 2nd Amendment will go away.

Can't say as I blame you unless you had a plan and legal counsel lined up ready to fight it. If we all support Comm2A maybe the day will come when this abuse of the 2nd Amendment will go away.

Yeah, really. Of course I didn't have a plan or legal counsel ready and I am not planning on daily carrying anyway, it's just the principle of the thing.

"No problem, let me just notify my lawyer."

Which is why they made him make that statement. They mistakenly believe they can't get sued. In reality, they can't get sued for the restrictions because he made that declaration but they would then just get sued for the denial if he hadn't decided to make the denial.

Which is why they made him make that statement. They mistakenly believe they can't get sued. In reality, they can't get sued for the restrictions because he made that declaration but they would then just get sued for the denial if he hadn't decided to make the denial.

Hadn't heard anything from my local PD about my application (only been a week, but they still haven't cashed my check). Got an email this morning, I am pretty sure it's already in the state system because the LO took my application for me on the computer, the response I got was "it takes 25 days for FP cards to return from MSP". I just looked at the Application/Licensing Process sticky from LenS, is this the AFIS check or is this something else? I see MSP mentioned in the "statutory dq" step, but not the fingerprinting step. Am I being jerked around?

AFIS is the fingerprint check and done by MSP.

I've seen some indications that the reports back might now be going to the PD by Email instead of pony express, but that isn't confirmed to me at this point.

Really minor thing here, but in Chicopee they don't accept personal checks for the 100 dollar fee. It has to be a money order or a prepaid bank check.

3 Letters of reference (Weymouth, Woburn, Fall River, Revere)
Actually, just two in Fall River
Gun Club Membership (Watertown, Randolph, Fall River, Brookline, Braintree)
I was not a member of any gun club while I have submitted the application
Proof of citizenship - taken to include birth certificate, naturalization certificate or passport (Watertown, lowell)
You can add Fall River to those two cities...

Chelsea requires anyone not living alone to have everyone in their household complete and sign an "Affidavit of Co-Habitation"

I have a copy, but can't up load it because it's bigger than is allowed for a jpeg. Chelsea also has their own application that is VERY different from the state application.

Last edited:
A friend told me that he lives in Granville mass and somebody's telling him he has to do live fire. Has anyone heard anything like that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Live fire? When did they start that? My first license was from weymouth and the only nonsense they had was reference letters and a dickbag as licensing officer.

I can't answer your question directly but can tell you that LE is well aware that some instructors are cutting corners and aren't happy with that, so they are throwing these other requirements into their mix as "chief's discretion" and proof of "suitability".

I can't answer your question directly but can tell you that LE is well aware that some instructors are cutting corners and aren't happy with that, so they are throwing these other requirements into their mix as "chief's discretion" and proof of "suitability".

I think I may have misunderstood. Does he mean a live fire class as your BFS class? I was thinking like the moon island nonsense as live fire. If its a live fire class it may have been a requirement before as mine had live fire and I wouldn't have noticed that if they didn't mention it.

I think I may have misunderstood. Does he mean a live fire class as your BFS class? I was thinking like the moon island nonsense as live fire. If its a live fire class it may have been a requirement before as mine had live fire and I wouldn't have noticed that if they didn't mention it.

He meant a live fire class.

An example of why some chiefs require this:

- My Hunter Ed class was poorly taught. NOBODY touched a gun in that class. An instructor held up each of the different types of guns in the darkest corner of that room and all 42 attendees could do was take a long distance look at it from their seats. ~50% of that class was going to use the Hunter Ed certificate to get their LTCs. MA gun law was very sparse in that class as well and the EPO spewed lots of wrong info (one item in particular could result in a felony conviction) to those present.

I know that some chiefs won't accept a Hunter Ed certificate as proof of a BFS course, even though it is specifically called out in the statutes.

I witnessed another Hunter Ed course given at BR&P a few years ago, their chief instructor is a member on NES (but not a member of BR&P) and did an awesome job, had students handling all the different gun types, etc. Quality matters!!

He meant a live fire class.

An example of why some chiefs require this:

- My Hunter Ed class was poorly taught. NOBODY touched a gun in that class. An instructor held up each of the different types of guns in the darkest corner of that room and all 42 attendees could do was take a long distance look at it from their seats. ~50% of that class was going to use the Hunter Ed certificate to get their LTCs. MA gun law was very sparse in that class as well and the EPO spewed lots of wrong info (one item in particular could result in a felony conviction) to those present.

I know that some chiefs won't accept a Hunter Ed certificate as proof of a BFS course, even though it is specifically called out in the statutes.

I witnessed another Hunter Ed course given at BR&P a few years ago, their chief instructor is a member on NES (but not a member of BR&P) and did an awesome job, had students handling all the different gun types, etc. Quality matters!!

While I don't agree with adding any extra stuff as requirements especially if its right in the law that it covers you, I can at least understand why they would want that. It seemed strange that all of a sudden weymouth would start requiring a moon island style test when they have never had that before.

While I don't agree with adding any extra stuff as requirements especially if its right in the law that it covers you, I can at least understand why they would want that. It seemed strange that all of a sudden weymouth would start requiring a moon island style test when they have never had that before.

No, the only 2 places in MA that require Moon Island testing are Boston and Brookline.

Others that go beyond the law merely require proof that you did live fire in your class.

Here is what I put on my state certificate for the HFS course that I recently conducted. I figured it couldn't hurt to disclose what the actual course included. I probably should have included a blurb about Mass Law.

In addition to the 4 hour LTC-007 class, there was
an additional 4 hour component of basic pistol
instruction and training including live fire.

Class that has live fire in it = live fire class
Live fire administered a la Moon Island = live fire test.

Back
Top Bottom