Norinco 7.62 x 39 Ammunition

Garys

NES Member
I have a quantity of Norinco "Silver Box" ammunition in my supply. Mostly it's in boxes and is marked, Lead Core Bullet, Steel Case, Non Corrosive. I'm a bit skeptical of the non corrosive part, but that's not a big deal. Looking at it, the rounds seem to be copper washed. They are head stamped 31 over 92.

I also have a smaller quantity of "Yellow Box" Norinco. These are steel cased and appear to be lacquered. The bit of information I could find on these indicates that they are steel core ammunition. The head stamp is 71 91.

It seems that neither is currently available in the US. Does anyone have any information on either of these rounds? Performance, value, safety, whatever?

Thanks.

I found the norinco ammo to be pretty darn good both x39 and 223. I recently sold my remaining 300 rounds of norinci silver for 5$ box

As far as I know all Norinco ammo is corrosive or at least has corrosive primers. I think aside from some box colors designating steel core, there shouldn't be any difference.

AFAIK, that's the main difference between the silver box and the yellow box. Silver is marked as lead and the rounds are copper washed. Yellow is not marked as lead and the steel cases are lacquered. Like you, I don't care what the box says, I treat it all as having corrosive primers.

As far as I know all Norinco ammo is corrosive or at least has corrosive primers. I think aside from some box colors designating steel core, there shouldn't be any difference.

I have 2 boxes of red box 7.62x39. What difference does the box color make?

According to what I read on line, Red box is lead core, but steel jacketed. If you test it and it's magnetic, then that's true. It seems that most Chinese 7.62 x 39 is steel jacketed. I'll have to run a magnet over mine later to see.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. The Norinco stuff seems to have a good reputation on line.

I found the norinco ammo to be pretty darn good both x39 and 223. I recently sold my remaining 300 rounds of norinci silver for 5$ box

Just like the brass cased (and also corrosive) Yugo 7.62x39, lots of people say it's accurate.

I think the only brass cased 7.62x39 ammo that isn't corrosive is the African Cheeta brand. From what I've read that stuff is some of the best that's ever been made. Too bad it got banned and dried up before I started shooting.

Just like the brass cased (and also corrosive) Yugo 7.62x39, lots of people say it's accurate.

I think the only brass cased 7.62x39 ammo that isn't corrosive is the African Cheeta brand. From what I've read that stuff is some of the best that's ever been made. Too bad it got banned and dried up before I started shooting.

The yugo brass cased stuff. M67 I think. Is pretty darn accurate at least compared to anything else I have shot through my sks rifles.
You can find it out there for $350/1260 rounds cases.

I have a quantity of Norinco "Silver Box" ammunition in my supply. Mostly it's in boxes and is marked, Lead Core Bullet, Steel Case, Non Corrosive. I'm a bit skeptical of the non corrosive part, but that's not a big deal. Looking at it, the rounds seem to be copper washed. They are head stamped 31 over 92.

I also have a smaller quantity of "Yellow Box" Norinco. These are steel cased and appear to be lacquered. The bit of information I could find on these indicates that they are steel core ammunition. The head stamp is 71 91.

It seems that neither is currently available in the US. Does anyone have any information on either of these rounds? Performance, value, safety, whatever?

Thanks.

Can't help you much with any specific details on your ammo, but a search should find more than I can tell you.
If you were ever of a mind to develop your own loads, come on down to SE CT. I have ample 123gr & 125gr bullets and plenty of brass for the 39mm. The Murom, S&B and CCI primers which I have are non-corrosive. You'd be best to supply powders of choice, since I have minimal amounts on hand. We can also load sabots, frangible, cast and plated, if desired.
100 meters onsite.

FWIW, I've reloaded Norinco copper-washed steel cases, but I prefer the poly-coated Wolf, if available. It's not a generally accepted procedure, but it works just fine. Great for matches where you can't recover your brass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom