8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Barack Obama is wasting no time poking a sharp stick in the eyes of
gun owners.

The incoming President's choice for U.S. Attorney General, Eric
Holder, is an anti-gun extremist who has assailed gun owners since
his days in the Bill Clinton administration.

Holder, who served as Deputy Attorney General from 1997-2001,
supports a 3-day waiting period for handgun purchases,
one-gun-a-month rationing, licensing and registration of all gun
owners, mandatory so-called smart gun technology, a lifetime gun ban
for certain juvenile offenses and regulating gun shows out of
existence.

As Janet Reno's top deputy, Eric Holder was the go to guy on gun
control issues. In a 1999 statement, Holder told members of Congress
not to cave in to "the special interest that value the cold hard
steel of guns more than the lives of children, neighbors and police
officers," and urged them to pass legislation that would have
destroyed the gun show industry.

Gun Owners of America members flooded the Congress with postcards and
e-mails and stopped Holder's gun control plan.

In 2000, Holder was instrumental in the Clinton Administration's
effort to strong arm firearms manufacturers into voluntarily
accepting regulations that had stalled in the Congress.

In a brazen legislation-by-extortion plot, the federal government
filed suit against gun makers but offered to drop the suit if the
companies would bow to the administration's demands.

Again, GOA and its members took the lead in opposing Holder and the
Clinton Administration and slowed down implementation of the
agreement until it completely went away when Clinton left office.

One company went along with the deal but after intense pressure from
gun owners, no others joined the unholy alliance.

After the 9/11 terrorist attacks, in an op-ed in the Washington Post,
Holder pushed for more gun control and greater restrictions on gun
shows, even though the terrorists were armed with box cutters that
could be purchased at any hardware store.

Just last year, Holder joined Janet Reno and 11 other former Justice
Department officials in an amicus brief before the Supreme Court
arguing in favor of the gun ban in Washington D.C.

The Holder/Reno brief also took the position that the Second
Amendment protects a collective government right, not an individual
right.

GOA and its members have defeated Eric Holder and his agenda in the
past, and we need to do it again. The Holder nomination is subject
to Senate confirmation in a vote which is set to occur at any time.

Gun Owners of America has asked all members of the U.S. Senate to
reject this anti-Second Amendment activist.

Now we're urging gun owners across the country to contact their own
Senators and insist that they vote "NO" on Eric Holder.

ACTION: Please use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at
http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Senators the
pre-written e-mail message below.

----- Prewritten Letter -----

Dear Senator:

Barack Obama's selection of Eric Holder for U.S. Attorney General is
unacceptable to gun owners.

Eric Holder supports a three day waiting period for gun purchases,
licensing and registration of all gun owners, driving gun shows into
extinction, and much more.

I urge you to vote "NO" on the Holder nomination.

Another reason why I don't like the NRA. They pick their battles and this I guess isn't one of them... I'm sure in 4 years they'll say "Sorry we made a mistake"

They've pissed me off a few times. I was hoping they'd pull for Ron Paul early (as opposed to endorsing McCain late) and then they were very late on teaming up with Robert A. Levy (Cato Institute) and Dick Heller on the DC Gun Ban case.

They've pissed me off a few times. I was hoping they'd pull for Ron Paul early (as opposed to endorsing McCain late) and then they were very late on teaming up with Robert A. Levy (Cato Institute) and Dick Heller on the DC Gun Ban case.

They didn't want Heller to go to the SCOTUS, that is why they didn't team up until late...

They didn't want Heller to go to the SCOTUS, that is why they didn't team up until late...

It was worse than that, they tried to derail it intentionally into it not being a 2nd amendment case. They got punched in the nose in court by Gura after they tried to do some sort of a wallhack to get the cases merged, but they were basically told to go screw- THEN, ,and only then, did they end up on the same side.

-Mike

Look, I pay my membership dues like a good solider but I profoundly disagree with them from time to time. This is one of these times. Holder is a shitbird of the highest degree and he will be spearheading the new AWB...

It's a battle that they probably couldn't win no matter how hard they try. There are better places to focus their efforts. Perhaps some senators will block his nomination.

It's a battle that they probably couldn't win no matter how hard they try. There are better places to focus their efforts. Perhaps some senators will block his nomination.

I think I heard the Republicans were going to put Arlen Spector on it. We'll see how this works out. Holder has a lot of baggage, including his role in some controversial Clinton pardons.

If the Republicans have insufficient fire in their belly to take this rat bastard on, then we need to seriously reconsider the political alignment around here.

Certainly. Still, Holder is bad by order's of magnitude. Holder makes Obama look like a second amendment crusader by comparison.

Plus he'll likely be the next Attorney General. Which yields considerably more power than other cabinet positions pertaining to gun rights matters.

This isn't the first time the NRA's silence has been deafening. From the '86' NFA, to the import ban, to DC/Heller and God knows what else. Couple that with things like an alliance with Tim Leatherman, all the way to the shitty Chinese-made NRA Optics they're pawning off and what you're left with is an organization who seems to be making sheep of us as well....

Perhaps, I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion. Even so, I find it hard to believe that with 14 recently victorious US Senators each of whom received significant investment from the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF), there wasn't one who could formally object?

Not one?

I think I heard the Republicans were going to put Arlen Spector on it. We'll see how this works out. Holder has a lot of baggage, including his role in some controversial Clinton pardons.

If the Republicans have insufficient fire in their belly to take this rat bastard on, then we need to seriously reconsider the political alignment around here.

Running to the Democrats doesn't seem to be a solution though. Their party platform is basically one big eff-yew to gun owners. Third parties don't have any traction.

The biggest problem with Holder is not the AWB crap, so much as it is that, if he is AG, he gets to determine the tenor of things like BATFE, which fall under his scope of influence, as well as prosecutorial tenor of things like federal courts, etc. An anti telling BATFE how to "do business" is a bad scene.

-Mike

The biggest problem with Holder is not the AWB crap, so much as it is that, if he is AG, he gets to determine the tenor of things like BATFE, which fall under his scope of influence, as well as prosecutorial tenor of things like federal courts, etc. An anti telling BATFE how to "do business" is a bad scene.

-Mike

Keep in mind that the AWB bill allows for the AG to ban any firearm that was ever used for millitary or police or non-sporting purposes.

The NRA needs to stop caving in and compromising everywhere. If nothing else, they need to publically and vocally come out and say "this is a bad choice, we don't like it", does not cost a whole lot to do that.

The NRA (and Republicans for that matter) needs to get more like a pro-gun conservative action group that will not compromise, as opposed to a buch of RINOs making friends with those that do us harm and lining up at the feeding trough waiting for their next election.

Keep in mind that the AWB bill allows for the AG to ban any firearm that was ever used for millitary or police or non-sporting purposes.

Which one? The new thing that obama wants to pass, or the clinton AWB?

-Mike

There's lots of hearsay about this. I sent the following communication directly to the NRA-ILA:
I have been hearing some very wild stories on the Internet. I would like to get answers to some questions "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak:

1) What is the NRA's official position relative to Eric Holder's nomination to be AG? Does the NRA oppose his nomination?

2) Will the NRA seek to testify against his nomination?

3) Will the NRA officially consider a vote for his nomination as a vote against 2nd Amendment rights?

Thank you.
I will post the response.

Which one? The new thing that obama wants to pass, or the clinton AWB?

-Mike

New bill. Can't recall the number. I actually found that out because there was a thread on here not long ago about those very speciffic lines that would grant the AG that authority. Maybe someone will chime in...

The NRA does good things as far as training and supporting the shooting sports but when it comes to truly defending the 2nd amendment they are sorely lacking. Although unfortunately some of it is because there are too many gun owners that are sorely lacking and support so called reasonable restrictions.
If all the NRA members and gun owners were true supporters of the 2nd amendment I believe it would be different.

The process hasn't even started yet.

Uh no, of course not, but not one of the 14 have indicated that they will be opposing the nomination. I don't expect that they will chance there mind in the next 24 hours...do you? With that in mind, the fact that the actual confirmation hearings haven't started yet is academic.

The NRA does good things as far as training and supporting the shooting sports but when it comes to truly defending the 2nd amendment they are sorely lacking. Although unfortunately some of it is because there are too many gun owners that are sorely lacking and support so called reasonable restrictions.
If all the NRA members and gun owners were true supporters of the 2nd amendment I believe it would be different.

When I was younger, I always believed the NRA was only around for sport/recreational shooters and hunters. I didn't think they had anything to do with self defense, hence why they're the Rifle association, and not the firearm association.

Back
Top Bottom