• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Number of new .45ACP guns introduced vs 9MM in the past 5 years?

Is 45ACP dying and becoming a novelty cartridge? I’m not sure whether to keep investing in large quantities of 45ACP ammo or just switch to 9MM.

What is the number of 45ACP handguns relating to concealed carry were introduced in the past 5 years? 10 years? And compare that to the number of 9MM handguns?

Is 45ACP being adopted by military/police agencies?

Is 45ACP dying and becoming a novelty cartridge? I’m not sure whether to keep investing in large quantities of 45ACP ammo or just switch to 9MM.

What is the number of 45ACP handguns relating to concealed carry were introduced in the past 5 years? 10 years? And compare that to the number of 9MM handguns?

Do you have guns in 45acp? I can understand not buying the guns if you think the caliber is dying but if you already have them and you think the caliber is dying I'd think you'd buy more ammo not less.

If i had to guess its more of a style of gun and the cost thing

1911s are more novelty and nice to haves them its a recession first thing to suffer is extras

I don’t think 45acp will ever be extinct…. It’s arguably the best self defense caliber….the price of ammo for it seems to have really gone up. For me and a lot of other people it’s probably more about conceal abilities and/or shoot abilities…..small 45s have a lot of recoil, so small 9s and 380s are best for CC IMO

You could have said the same thing about 357 and 38 when the wonder nines came into fashion. All these non 9 calibers will be at a disadvantage due to ammo costs.

Hmmm . . .

not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

45acp has been around for many years because its tried and proven to be a first rate caliber for self defense. It will be around longer than any of us for the same reasons.
Nothing wrong with 9mm either. Like the 45acp its a good self defense caliber. I have both and I believe its really just a matter of preference.

So your thinking just because new Cc handguns aren't being "introduced" in 45acp that the 45acp will die? That's f***ing rich.

45acp is the 2nd best selling cartridge in america.

How many new manufactured 1911s in 45acp are in the case at gun shops? Tons.

Handguns aren't made just to be concealed carried.

As far as if military and police adopt 45acp who gives a f***? Police turned in the 357 mag for 9mm like 40 years ago......is the 357 mag going to go extint? Certainly not.

What's your shooting experience? Do you just have Cc handguns? Ffs go to any gun club pin or bullseye shoots and you'll see shit tons of guys shooting 45acp and 357 mag. There is a whole world of shooting sports going on that has nothing to do with concealed carry.

Last edited:
My son convinced me I need a Glock. Went to the LGS and they had two. A .40 with another 9mm barrel and a .45.
My thinking went to ammo, holster availability and ease of finding accessories and I wanted the 9mm.
My son said we should get the .45 because ‘Merica.

Can’t argue with that.

Is 45ACP dying and becoming a novelty cartridge?

Last time I looked, .45 ACP was still the second best selling handgun cartridge in the U.S. .45 GAP is a novelty cartridge. .45-60 is a novelty round. .45 ACP? Not hardly.

I’m not sure whether to keep investing in large quantities of 45ACP ammo or just switch to 9MM.

I'm confused by the word "investing." I don't invest in ammo. I buy it. FMJ I buy to shoot. JHP I buy as a life insurance policy. Neither is an investment.

If you are stockpiling ammo to sell in the black market to homies and people stuck in over-regulated states and countries, then 9mm is a better choice.
If you are stockpiling ammo to barter for gas, grass, and/or ass once the SHTF, then you'll want both 9mm and .45 ACP, and you might as well have some .40 stashed away as well. Don't bother with .30 Super Carry, though. Anyone using that stuff would be snuffed in the first wave.

Concealed carry was never .45 ACP's strong selling point, and most of the "newly introduced" 9mm handguns I've seen are either a return to single stack designs, tweaks on existing designs (Glock Gen 5), or attempts to improve the ergonomics of compact and sub-compact models.

For US LEOs, .45 ACP seems to be the third choice behind 9mm and .40. It may creep back into second place soon, not because it's becoming more popular, but because of a switch back to 9mm from .40. Some specialized U.S. military units still pack .45 ACP, but 9mm seems to have won that market.

Last edited:
My son convinced me I need a Glock. Went to the LGS and they had two. A .40 with another 9mm barrel and a .45.
My thinking went to ammo, holster availability and ease of finding accessories and I wanted the 9mm.
My son said we should get the .45 because ‘Merica.

Can’t argue with that.
I believe the proper, American answer is
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

45acp is the second best selling pistol cartridge in the USA. I Don't think it's going to ever become a novelty.

I wouldn't base a decision based on what new guns are being produced in a certain caliber, .25 hasn't had a new gun in like 20 years, but people still buy the fukking things.

People want smaller, higher capacity pistols and 9mm can deliver that compared to .45, but I wouldn't say that 9mm is what is starting to eat into .45's market segment, what is is 10mm. When you can get the same size pistol in 10mm that holds 5 more rounds and has significantly more power and ammo that costs the same or less, there's not much reason to choose .45 ACP.

If magazine capacity restrictions go away nationwide, .45 is going to have a tough time, a major reason people still buy it in ban states is if stuck with 10 rds, may as well make them the biggest 10 rounds you can get.

I wouldn't base a decision based on what new guns are being produced in a certain caliber, .25 hasn't had a new gun in like 20 years, but people still buy the fukking things.

People want smaller, higher capacity pistols and 9mm can deliver that compared to .45, but I wouldn't say that 9mm is what is starting to eat into .45's market segment, what is is 10mm. When you can get the same size pistol in 10mm that holds 5 more rounds and has significantly more power and ammo that costs the same or less, there's not much reason to choose .45 ACP.

If magazine capacity restrictions go away nationwide, .45 is going to have a tough time, a major reason people still buy it in ban states is if stuck with 10 rds, may as well make them the biggest 10 rounds you can get.
That's a pretty logical analysis.

So your thinking just because new Cc handguns aren't being "introduced" in 45acp that the 45acp will die? That's f***ing rich.

45acp is the 2nd best selling cartridge in america.

How many new manufactured 1911s in 45acp are in the case at gun shops? Tons.

Handguns aren't made just to be concealed carried.

As far as if military and police adopt 45acp who gives a f***? Police turned in the 357 mag for 9mm like 40 years ago......is the 357 mag going to go extint? Certainly not.

What's your shooting experience? Do you just have Cc handguns? Ffs go to any gun club pin or bullseye shoots and you'll see shit tons of guys shooting 45acp and 357 mag. There is a whole world of shooting sports going on that has nothing to do with concealed carry.
If you’re shooting light weight guns the 40 and 45 are too much for some to handle.
I prefer a full size 45. My 220 is my favorite but a 1911 is a tight second.

My 175 pound frame can’t hide a full size very well so summer carry is a 365.

My 175 pound frame can’t hide a full size very well so summer carry is a 365.
Are they too big for pocket carry? Havent seen one in person. WOuld like to upgrade from my PM9 which is a great size for pocket carry for me, Id just like a higher capacity

Back
Top Bottom