• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Number of new .45ACP guns introduced vs 9MM in the past 5 years?

If you’re shooting light weight guns the 40 and 45 are too much for some to handle.
I prefer a full size 45. My 220 is my favorite but a 1911 is a tight second.

My 175 pound frame can’t hide a full size very well so summer carry is a 365.
Ok. I never said 45acp is a good Cc handguns. It actually sucks for cc. The point I'm making is who cares if it sucks for a Cc gun.....Cc is not the ONLY role for a handgun. Op us literally saying he sees no new introduction of Cc guns in 45acp and thinks that means 45acp is gonna be dead. He's either trolling.....or so obtuse he thinks the only reason pistols exist is for concealed carry.

Last edited:
I don’t know about CC not being viable. I carry a 1911 in either a shoulder or belt holster and never have issues concealing it. As soon as we got my Glock 21 home, my son stuffed it AIWB and said “Perfect”. He’s 11, 5’4 and 130lbs and it disappeared under an untucked t shirt. Granted, he doesn’t know how uncomfortable something gets after a few hours.

But we are looking for a 10mm barrel for it, for the extra capacity.

Two things things:
1) FN just introduced one in 45. S&W intro'd one a couple of years back. I am not even counting the boatload of 1911s clones introduced.
2) How many brand new 9mm guns, besides the Hellcat, have been introduced in the last 5 years that were not an update of an existing model or a "now with red dot!" editions?
3) It's time to move on! 40 kicks 45 and 9mm to the curb.

Only if you have not fired a 10, Had my choice of 45ACP or 10
And it was no contest, I could get back on target with better placement with the 45
Reason why some people go-from 45 to 9 the recoil
There's the 10mm lite or .40, each giving you more rounds.

Years ago there was a cop at a range who smugly said something of the tune of - '45ACP makes sense for civilians cause you guys can only carry up to ten in the mag unlike LEO we can have the high capacity ones. If you can only have ten, why not have the biggest ten and a gun designed from the ground up for that? HK45.'

Years ago there was a cop at a range who smugly said something of the tune of - '45ACP makes sense for civilians cause you guys can only carry up to ten in the mag unlike LEO we can have the high capacity ones. If you can only have ten, why not have the biggest ten and a gun designed from the ground up for that? HK45.'
That’s not really a stupid argument. It’s one of those hard pill to swallow things. Unless you’re buying prebans or you just don’t care (like me) I’d rather have 10 rounds of .45

For all practical purposes, you can get almost any 'model' handgun in 9mm that you can in .45.
Not sure the right question is the future of the firearms but rather the ammunition (and no so much the 'future' in this case as the present).
The present is: .45 ACP is (very roughly) 3/4ths to 2x more expensive per round.

I'd rather train more.
I'd rather have more rounds per unit volume/mass whether store, carry or transport.

There are, obsolete calibers (e.g. 5 mm Remington), 'fad' calibers, (I'll refrain lest I offend a .40 fetishist...Ooops :cool:), wildcat cartridges and 'We wanna make a new standard' cartridges (e.g. .357 Sig, .277 Fury, 5.7 * 28) and "Standard in some other country" (e.g. 7.62 * 39), unless you're into these for the sake of variety, experimentation or a specific shooting discipline, IMO, they're a waste of time and money.

As to the 'stopping power' argument of .45ACP vs 9mm? Countless YouTube videos and studies with very clear evidence lead to the obvious conclusion...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
For all practical purposes, you can get almost any 'model' handgun in 9mm that you can in .45.
Not sure the right question is the future of the firearms but rather the ammunition (and no so much the 'future' in this case as the present).
The present is: .45 ACP is (very roughly) 3/4ths to 2x more expensive per round.

I'd rather train more.
I'd rather have more rounds per unit volume/mass whether store, carry or transport.

There are, obsolete calibers (e.g. 5 mm Remington), 'fad' calibers, (I'll refrain lest I offend a .40 fetishist...Ooops :cool:), wildcat cartridges and 'We wanna make a new standard' cartridges (e.g. .357 Sig, .277 Fury, 5.7 * 28) and "Standard in some other country" (e.g. 7.62 * 39) and unless you're into these for the sake of variety, experimentation or a specific shooting discipline, IMO, they're a waste of time and money.

As to the 'stopping power' argument of .45ACP vs 9mm? Countless YouTube videos and studies with very clear evidence lead to the obvious conclusion...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're making me want to carry my 1911 more. Thanks, jerk.

Are they too big for pocket carry? Havent seen one in person. WOuld like to upgrade from my PM9 which is a great size for pocket carry for me, Id just like a higher capacity
When I was 21, the "only" .45 was a 1911 (no poly wonders yet, and Sig P220 was an unheard of animal). For pocket carry, I had a Colt Officer's Model. I still miss that one. Normal jeans pocket. I think I threw a handkerchief over the bottom of the backstrap where it stuck out a little.
Only if you have not fired a 10, Had my choice of 45ACP or 10
And it was no contest, I could get back on target with better placement with the 45
Reason why some people go-from 45 to 9 the recoil
When I had a 10mm Delta Elite (and a Wyoming "Junk" Parker before that), recoil was stiff. I tried a Gen4 Glock a few weeks ago and even though I've gotten more recoil sensitive as I've gotten older, I think it was less snappy than the original 1911 version (the double spring in the Gen4 does seem to help in other calibers, as well).
That’s not really a stupid argument. It’s one of those hard pill to swallow things. Unless you’re buying prebans or you just don’t care (like me) I’d rather have 10 rounds of .45
When Vermont first started trying to go retard years ago (2000-ish) with introducing a bill banning "armor piercing" and hollow-point ammo, I said "Fine. I'll just carry a 1911 with FMJ then."

Every 1911 I’ve owned had a trigger issue. It would either fire on half-cock, or fire on full-cock but stick on half-cock.

I will never buy another 1911.

Buy a CZ 97.

The thinking man’s 45.

You're making me want to carry my 1911 more. Thanks, jerk.
I don’t know exactly why, but I shoot my .45 pistols better than my 9mm ones.

I carried a 9mm for years and have shot it way more than the .45, but I always hit better groups with the .45

Never owned a .40 and only shot one once or twice. Guess I was briefly bi-curious and decided I didn’t like the peen.

I'd rather train more.
Before 2020, I would have agreed. It used to be that a 2-day pistol class would require 1000rds. Then Covid shortage hit. Suddenly, the same classes started requiring 500rds. Apparently, they figured out how to train smarter.
The fact is, the majority of folks I see at the range are there to waste ammo, not train.

Before 2020, I would have agreed. It used to be that a 2-day pistol class would require 1000rds. Then Covid shortage hit. Suddenly, the same classes started requiring 500rds. Apparently, they figured out how to train smarter.
The fact is, the majority of folks I see at the range are there to waste ammo, not train.
People go to the range? I just pay my yearly dues out of habit.

Back
Top Bottom