Online basic hunter education course in MA?

After having to cancel on the only MA class I could get into, I'm getting my license from VT. Of all the neighboring states they had the most and the closest classes, and their signup system has online registration. I completed the online portion of the class and am heading up to St. Johnsbury on Sunday for a field test. It's a bit of a drive, but I have a friend in Brattleboro that I'd like to visit anyway. Anyway, as previously stated once you have an out of state license you can buy a MA one.

A buddy did the online Texas course. If you are 17+ you do not have to do a field day and can do the online only. If you are under 17 you do online + a field day.

Took him 5 or 6 hours to go through it all, but he is a pretty knowledgeable guy about the outdoors and firearms. He then used this number to get his Maine hunting license. All in all not bad.

I just took it a couple of weeks ago. I never realized it would be so difficult to plan three evenings and a day for that course. Anyway, we had a good group of people in the class and I'm glad I did it. Before I went I was reading about the on-line thing and at that time I would have preferred on-line. But I think it was better to get out and be involved with the other people. It was fun for me anyway...

Wrong. Did not read thread.

Unless you're a NH resident planning on hunting in Mass! Lol
Strange. I know a MA resident who did exactly this, although that was two or three years ago.

Further; I do know the courses are a standard curriculum across all fifty states, Canada and Mexico. Take it in one place and your supposed to be able to use it for hunting licenses everywhere.

Strange. I know a MA resident who did exactly this, although that was two or three years ago.

Further; I do know the courses are a standard curriculum across all fifty states, Canada and Mexico. Take it in one place and your supposed to be able to use it for hunting licenses everywhere.

yup, see post 13: I took class in fall 2013 and then in spring 2014 NH states no non-residents in their online course

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...course-in-MA?p=3942512&viewfull=1#post3942512

AFAIK you just check the box you've taken the safety course when you buy the MA hunting license and all state safety courses are supposed to be reciprocal. MA does have some convoluted hunting laws though so choose your course accordingly.

Last edited:
Wrong. You can take a hunter ed course in any state and it is accepted nation wide.

I guess you didn't read the thread either. Maybe you just browse for the pictures?

As already explained multiple times in this thread, mass accepts the NH course but the NH online course is given to NH residents only.

Last edited:
I guess you didn't read the thread either. Maybe you just browse for the pictures?

As already explained multiple times in this thread you couldn't be bothered to read, mass accepts the NH course but the NH online course is given to NH residents only.

He was talking about purchasing licenses after you've taken the course. He is correct that after you have taken a class in any state or Canadia, it is good in any state or Canadia.

Edit: and yes, I call it Canadia

He was talking about purchasing licenses after you've taken the course. He is correct that after you have taken a class in any state or Canadia, it is good in any state or Canadia.

Edit: and yes, I call it Canadia

Yes, the state courses are reciprocal. That's been mentioned repeatedly. But that doesn't support his claim that my post was "wrong". Again, read the previous posts.

I call it Canadastan

Where does it specify that MA accepts this TX online course?
From Mass Wildlife

I live in Massachusetts and am new to hunting. What do I need to purchase a hunting license?

All first time adult hunting or sporting license buyers must first show proof that they have successfully completed a basic hunter education course. Basic hunter education courses are available throughout most of the year in all regions of the state and are offered free of charge. Hunter education course certificates from other states, Canadian provinces and Mexico are also accepted for purchasing a Massachusetts hunting or sporting license.

just took the online course from texas and mass wildlife excepted my info, all though you do have to check the box that says under penalty of perjury i accept, im going to keep a copy of my certs and the mass wildlife laws like in the link from this thread on me to make sure.

I actually think attending a course for the few days it takes is worthwhile for beginning hunters. While it gives you a firehouse of information the informal discussions are valuable. Also makes sense to hunt with an experienced hunter or guide your first time out. Learn the basics and you will enjoy hunting much more than just running out and jumping in a tree stand expecting evrything to happen perfectly.

Sent from the blind

I just finished the online class texashuntered.com and passed it. Took my printout to Walmart, and they never asked for any proof. I got my hunting permit. To me this was awesome, I learned a lot from the online course and even though Walmart did not ask for the certificate at least I did my part!

Last edited:
I was grandfathered since I had a license before the requirement existed (old school) I did take the Map, Compass & Survival course, Black Powder course & Bowhunter course from Mass Wildlife. I enjoyed all of them and I recommend them to anyone who is interested.

NH does offer their online course to non residents, but they do require you to attend a field day of sorts. Friend of mine took it and it ran about 4 hours.

My son has his course on Jan 20 from 6-9:30 PM and then 8-3 on Jan 31 at the Westboro HQ. I get to attend because he is 13. We are both looking forward to this.

One of the highlights for me was that cotton kills(survival chapter). So I went to Savers the other day and bough items that were made from the material mentioned. Basically they are non cotton and usually made of synthetic fibers or wool.

I do need to brush up more on compass navigation though.

Back
Top Bottom