OPEN Carry in Massachusetts Demonstration?

Has there been a OPEN Carry of Firearms demonstration by Legal Licensed Firearm Owners
in Massachusetts before? Besides Lexington and Concord? [wink]

I would prefer Open carry in Massachusetts, much more so than
concealed carry, and wondered perhaps naively why OPEN carry was
not more of a concern among gun owners in the State.

It would be a great education for non shooters/general public to see OPEN carry, and see
that it isn't so scary to see civil peaceful gun owners packing there 1911's and
Glocks on a hip holster in public...and nothing negative happens, and feel comfortable and normal
with that so when they
see citizens carrying out in the open, they have nothing to fear, so it reverses
the image of seeing COMBAT Ready Black Suited SWAT Team Police/Military with machine guns, armor,
radios, dogs, patrolling as the only safe responsible way for firearms to be displayed in public.

Shouldn't OPEN carry be more of a talking point, or are we just happy to
jump thru the gun law hoops in this state to get a concealed carry license?

I guess if open carry in Massachusetts becomes such a historical faded fact, then we just face it
that it will never happen,
no need to try, because the present climate of media and politics portrayx open carry as scary, evil,
archaic antiquated notion...
It seems like another Gun Right Lost.

I never looked at OPEN Carry in Mass as any kind of viable option til that guy in New Hampshire carried
Openly to the Obama Rally, naive as I am, in some things.

Open carrying is not speciffically illegal in MA, however this is where discretionary licensing comes into play. If you scare the sheeple, your Chief may decide to revoke your license.

Has there been a OPEN Carry of Firearms demonstration by Legal Licensed Firearm Owners in Massachusetts before? Besides Lexington and Concord?
Go ahead an organize one. Start planning for next year's demonstration by former LTC holders while you are at it.

I never looked at OPEN Carry in Mass as any kind of viable option til that guy in New Hampshire carried Openly to the Obama Rally, naive as I am, in some things.
That's because of significant legal differences between MA and NH. Stunts like open carry to a presidential event are just the sort of thing that can bring open carry in NH to a screeching halt (not to mention getting your name on a list you really, really don't want to be on). Open carry of long guns used to be legal in CA until some 1960's activists started carrying shotguns to town meetings.

Last edited:
That's because of significant legal differences between MA and NH. Stunts like open carry to a presidential event are just the sort of thing that can bring open carry in NH to a screeching halt (not to mention getting your name on a list you really, really don't want to be on). Open carry of long guns used to be legal in CA until some 1960's activists started carrying shotguns to town meetings.

Only if the elected in NH become wimps.

Whether the demonstration would be effective or not, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't be willing to lose my license over trying to prove a point.

I Wouldn't be willing to loose my license for the sake of an OPEN Carry
Demonstration in MASS either...I guess I will return to silently cower'n for the time being but Constitutionally I don't like it.

Open carry of long guns used to be legal in CA until some 1960's activists started carrying shotguns to town meetings.

Oh, I get to correct Rob, or at least I think. OC of long guns used to be legal in CA until the Black Panthers held a huge rally and Governor Ronald Reagan was so shocked that he pushed through a bill to ban it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_Party

In 1967 the organization marched on the California State Capitol in Sacramento in protest of a ban on weapons. The official newspaper The Black Panther was also first circulated that year. By 1968, the party had expanded into many cities throughout the United States, including Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Newark, New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Washington, D.C., and Baltimore. That same year, membership reached 5,000, and their newspaper had grown to a circulation of 250,000.[4]

my little Cartman voice, ha ha ha ha ha.....

Last edited:
You could always talk to your COP before open carrying in MA. You never know, he or she might support it. I doubt it, but I don't personally know all 351 licensing authorities.

You could always talk to your COP before open carrying in MA. You never know, he or she might support it. I doubt it, but I don't personally know all 351 licensing authorities.

This is a good point, has anyone ever actually asked? Or have we all just been "scared straight" based on a few none cases? I certainly haven't asked a COP.

It would be interesting to ask all 351 COPs, compile the responses, and publish them. I wonder if the response rate would be better if the questions came from individual residents of each city/town or if GOAL surveyed all of them.

what about an empty open carry holster demonstration? Or do you think it would have the same detrimental political effects? At least then our LTCs may be safer than actually OCing.

How about an open carry with only magazines out?

Or open carry with 45 ACP round in between your teeth as you hold up a sign that says "Free speech and open rounds for all"

what about an empty open carry holster demonstration? Or do you think it would have the same detrimental political effects? At least then our LTCs may be safer than actually OCing.

When I was interviewed by the Sgt. in my town, he specifically asked me if I was one of those 2nd amendment nuts. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about. I do now and have to say I would have to say the same thing with my fingers crossed under the table.

How about a demonstration with paper sidearms, that'll draw attention. Maybe the chief will not use this against you upon renewal.

What a depressing thread. We really need to get these a$$hats out of government and take this state back. [sad2]

How do we get more kids into shooting and have some hope for the future?

During my interview with the COP for my renewal, he specifically mentioned a few of his own rules including "no open carry".

what about an empty open carry holster demonstration?

College students in Texas had an empty-holster OC demonstration a few months ago. AFAIK, there were no issues. Now, that's Texas, not MA., but this was at schools that were very adamant that students not be allowed to carry guns on campus...

I'm pretty sure if there were 1,000+ people located in a central area with significant no one would be arrested and no one would lose their license. If there was a well thought out plan I would participate.

I guess I just don't get it. Why would anyone even want to OC? I know that I sure wouldn't want to even if it were legal.
I've had my LTC for 36 years as of last June and I can not think of a single instance where I've thought to myself, Gee, I wish I didn't have to cover this thing up.

I guess I just don't get it. Why would anyone even want to OC? I know that I sure wouldn't want to even if it were legal.
I've had my LTC for 36 years as of last June and I can not think of a single instance where I've thought to myself, Gee, I wish I didn't have to cover this thing up.

For people just starting to carry especially, it's stressful knowing that one glimps of the pistol from under your shirt could equal you loosing your license. if open cary was more accepted, then this would no longer be a problem. if your jacket swings open with your shoulder holster while putting away a pizza, you dont have to freak out and hope old lady across the street didn't call the cops.

Well high-five for you.

votes open carry

You had 1,700,000 licensed gun owners in 1997,you now have 260,000.when are you going to get enuf NEVER because none of you will even try and most did not vote.
does the law say you cant open carry.
just got off phone with GOAL,and the law is not specific.as the carry is a license to carry nothing about concealed.
guess some of you wimps will have to get a back bone.ta ta.[laugh2][rofl]

Back
Top Bottom