• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion: to carry or not carry

Medic-554

NES Member
My wife's grandmother passed this past Sunday morning and the wake is Tuesday night and funeral Wednesday morning. My wife also carries but she is not wearing something that is capable of her to do so. Most if not all our family members know we carry. Obviously there will be lots of hugs and kisses going around from non-family members. Is it appropriate to carry or not? My wife is indifferent in the choice. I don't however want to piss off the family and friends if it is an inappropriate. Thoughts anyone?

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

I don't think anyone hugging you would even notice honestly. If they know you carry and it sounds to me like they are all OK with it anyway it shouldn't make a difference even if they did. That's just my take on it anyway.

IMO, I think it's appropriate to carry but a situation where pocket carry is the best choice and the most discrete.
Sorry for the passing of your wife's grandmother.

IWB carry and strong side elbow down and in for hugs. Their arm goes around you.

People that really know me would expect me to be carrying always. None of my immediate family knows I carry, and that is after ten years of family get-togethers and I have carried to every one.

Change your routine a little bit (such as how you hug, etc) and your chances of being made are slim to none, except by another person carrying that recognizes the signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderwear or other appendix carry works well for me. Most people don't usually touch there.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think it's always appropriate to carry. I just wasn't sure if there was proper etiquette in our club.

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

I would also. I appendix carry, and it's very easy to hug people leaned slightly forward so your waist is just a bit back. No one gets either of my pieces pressed into them (except my wife. The "gun in your pocket or happy to see me" joke never gets old). Even if they felt the firearm and asked about it, it's your belt buckle, keys, cell phone, whatever.

Sorry for your loss.

I always carry and have carried at several funerals. Pocket carry is ideal in a suit. Cover it up with the desantis pocket holster with the flap. Anyone who brushes up against it will think its a wallet. If pocket carry isn't an option, I always remember to get my gun side arm on the bottom of the hug!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always IWB carry so I'll go with the "modified I don't like to be hugged fist pump and pow!" Greeting. Seriously tho, thanks for all the responses. Great suggestions from experienced ppl is key to my learning.

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

when people come in for a hug just hug them low first so they have to hug you higher up. Works every time.

Also have someone watch the grandmothers house so its not robbed while everyone is at the wake.

Back
Top Bottom