Optic mount options for a fixed carrying handle AR

I recently acquired an AR15 clone with Gator Mega Grip lower and J & T ind upper (16" barrel, fixed carrying handle with A2 rear sight) from fellow neshooter.
I am thinking about a scope mount. Having looked around I came up with three options:
1. Tactica rail adapter - similar to this one: rail adapter
mounted on top of the handguard with sights attached to it.
2. Canteliever mount: canteliever
although a similar one can be found a tapco for about $40.
3. Replacing my handguards with railed versions.

Ideally I would like to spend as little as possible, while still getting a decent mount that holds zero well, for now. Which one of the three options would be the best in these terms?
Also, how big is the difference between $100 and $40 canteliever mounts?

Thanks,

Andrew.

TAPCO's regular mounts have held up OK in South West Asia (Iraq). I sent 3 sets over to friends a couple of years back. Hard to beat something that's been battle tested.

Do you mean a red dot scope (AimPoint, Eotech, etc), or glass optics?

Mounting either one on the carry handle will force you to have a higher than normal cheek weld on the stock.

If you mount glass by any other method, the front sight tower will obscure the sight picture... unless you mount a scope with a high enough magnification that the scope 'sees through' the tower (I believe it might be 6x-7x and higher).

You really can't mount a glass scope on the cantilever because the eye relief on the scope won't be sufficient (distance between eye and eye piece).

Ditto for mounting it on a handguard rail system.

If you mount a red dot on a cantilever it should cowitness with your iron sights (cowitness meaning your sight picture will include both the red dot and your iron sights. Ideally when you look through the scope, the red dot should float just above the front sight). Depending on the mount and scope, your cowitness could be high or low.

CoWitness.bmp.jpg

Installing a railed handguard will put you in the same situation unless the scope is mounted high enough to clear the carry handle. The handguard system with mounts, (spacers if needed), can get pretty expensive.

Nickle,
by tapco regular mounts do you mean the canteliever or a carrying handle rail mount?

LoginName,

Thanks for the clarification. I meant red dots/eotech style sights.
I realize that canteliever is fairly cheaper than a rail. However, I was told by someone that canteliever would not hold zero, etc...as good as a rail would. Is this true?

Thanks,

Andrew.

andy t said:
However, I was told by someone that canteliever would not hold zero, etc...as good as a rail would. Is this true?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Can't say as I've never had any experiance with one. However, any mount is only as good as it's weakest point. Since the canteliever mount is secured by a single stud through the hole in the carry handle, I can't imagine that it would be as rock solid as a mount secured to a rail with 2 cross bolts.

Back
Top Bottom