Optical sight solution

I just picked up a used one for my A2 carry handle. So far it works as it should and holds zero. I have only used it at the range twice, so my experience is somewhat limited. The optics are clean and the red dot has decent target acquisition. I opted for this sight because I wanted to spend $$ on other purchases. You're welcome to try it out of you like.

Anyone heard anything good/bad about the bushnell trophy ACOG clone?
Cheap enough at $160 or so.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=859535

I just picked up a used one for my A2 carry handle. So far it works as it should and holds zero. I have only used it at the range twice, so my experience is somewhat limited. The optics are clean and the red dot has decent target acquisition. I opted for this sight because I wanted to spend $$ on other purchases. You're welcome to try it out of you like.

Do you mind sharing how much you picked it up used for?
Just curious.

Gents, you get what you paid for. Ive used Aimpoints, EOtechs(552) and ACOGs. In my opinion it doesn't get better than the ACOG TA31DOC. Ive had 2 Aimpoints Comp M2s die on me (nothing worse than an optic failing during a firefight), alot of people have had the same experience. The EOtech is a great rugged optic that offers a better FOV than the Aimpoint, faster acquisition due to the 65moa ring, and better controls. The steel roll bar on it makes it nearly unbreakable. It also offers a crisper reticle (the Aimpoint tends to bleed) The ACOG can be used in close quarters with little problem, it is a misconception that the magnification is very detrimental to close fighting it can be done with practice. And for distance it is king. It also holds its zero very well. If anyone is looking for one I have one I'm looking to sell.

This one has me really interested. One of my AR's is very sad optic-less A2.

Care to share your source?

According to a number of well known trainers, and users, Eotech is inferior to Aimpoint. As a matter of fact, Eotech lost a recent bid to Aimpoint to supply the Army with RDS. Their mounting system is not robust, and they have the funky automatic shutoff as well as QC issues...Nothing worse than the red dot going out simply because you didn't touch its button...
Since they both cost about the same, I would say go Aimpoint. However, for the budget minded other options work.

Last edited:
Well there's a reason why Tier 1 guys use EOtech, soldiers pay out of pocket to have them and coveted by everyone else. The Army issues them also, depending on unit. I can only speak of my personal experience and it is 2 out of 2 times Ive used Aimpoints, they've failed me (in combat). They auto shut off after 8hrs, having been there and done it I've never heard anyone complain about them, since a regular patrol is 8-12hrs it isnt a bad thing especially when Joe cant remember to turn off their optic. The reticle is crisper, faster to acquire, and in my opinion more accurate depending on the model due to the smaller 1moa dot. No, there's nothing worse than an optic going out b/c its broken, not because of an auto shut off after 8hrs of inactivity. More than likely you will change the brightness to compensate for light conditions. Thats my first hand advice, not an article, there's allot of guys that love their Aimpoints, lots of guys that love their EOtechs, thats just my experience with the product and those Ive worked with. Good luck in your optic search there's allot of great products out there.

Aimpoint doesn't have an auto shut off. Its actually a decent feature. I would go with allegedly with the battery life, I remember changing quite a few Aimpoint batteries or soldiers needing them. Keep a spare in your pistol grip, either taped or in the fancy compartment; you may need it.

Last edited:
Aimpoint doesn't have an auto shut off. Its actually a decent feature. I would go with allegedly with the battery life, I remember changing quite a few Aimpoint batteries or soldiers needing them. Keep a spare in your pistol grip, either taped or in the fancy compartment; you may need it.

I've never heard anyone other than you complain about Aimpoint battery life or failures.

Well first off I'm not complaining. When your life depends on the equipment you use and it fails repeatedly, you tend to dislike it. Then when people that you work with have the same issues and share the same opinions of the equipment it solidifies your feelings on it. This is my REAL LIFE experience with this equipment, not SWAT mag or second hand knowledge. Im not sure if you have ever used a firearm to defend yourself or not but if you have you certainly can appreciate what I'm saying. If not, lets assume I know what I'm talking about.

P2A, chill. I understand what you are saying. I understand the seriousness of it. I'm not criticizing you. I'm not questioning your experiences.

I'm making an observation.

I've spoken with other folks who've been there and done that. None of them have mentioned problems with Aimpoints. Several have mentioned problems with EOTechs. You are the first person I've ever heard who has mentioned problems with Aimpoints.

It also depends on which generation of Aimpoint we are talking about. The later ones have much greater battery life than XD and M versions.

Just to bump this one more time.

My issue is to try to get away from odd-sized batteries. I want a reliable EOTech or Aimpoint that takes AA batteries. If the world ends, I can use a solar recharger for my lithium AA batteries and power the optics.

Options I am considering are the EOTech 512F here: http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?special=78

and the Aimpoint Comp M4s (or M4) here: http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Aimpoint-12172-Comp-M4s-2MOA{47}QRP2,-w{47}Mount.html

Please weigh in with your experience on the 512F or the M4 to help me decide which one to buy.

If the world ends there will be more pressing issues than which battery for my red dot sight. That said, M4 has much longer lifespan on a single AA battery. It actually does NOT have an off position - just NV.

Just to bump this one more time.

My issue is to try to get away from odd-sized batteries. I want a reliable EOTech or Aimpoint that takes AA batteries. If the world ends, I can use a solar recharger for my lithium AA batteries and power the optics.

Options I am considering are the EOTech 512F here: http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?special=78

and the Aimpoint Comp M4s (or M4) here: http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Aimpoint-12172-Comp-M4s-2MOA{47}QRP2,-w{47}Mount.html

Please weigh in with your experience on the 512F or the M4 to help me decide which one to buy.

I own A eotech 551, aimpoint comp m4, and A trijicon TAo1NSN. I love every single one of them. I have the eotech on my home defense. the aimpoint is really nice but I prefer the eotech. My favorite is the trijicon, but at 4X I would rather not have it on my HDefense and since im not looking for accuracy from 25yds in my house I will stick with the eotech, It sits nice on top of my AR and has less chance of getting snagged on something than the aimpoint. But personally I think that both aimpont and eotech are equal in relaibility I think it's pretty much just prefernce.Can't go wrong with it saying (For Law Enforcement/Military Use).

I have opted for a slightly more expensive solution, the Leupold Mark IV CQB Scope. This sight is extremely rugged and mounts to a flat top AR with a supplied mount.

This sight has an illuminated circle-dot reticle that works like a dot scope on 1X but has the option of up to 3X magnification. With the power on the circle-dot are gold in low light conditions. The bad news is that the gold light washes out in bright daylight. The good news is that this is an illuminated reticle, not a dot scope. With no power the reticle is still visible in black.

The sight takes one AA battery and its service life is not all that great. Again, the good news is that this sight doesn't need battery power to work. I am very happy with mine (I even bought a second) and have found it to be a quality item with easy to use controls, particularly the elevation nd windage adjustments as the covers double as screw drivers to perform adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom