outdoor public range in byfield?

I have ... if I remember correctly its really not known that well. I believe you need to have either a valid fishing or hunting license to use it. I for the life of me cannot remember what road/street its off of but I shoot there prior to getting into a club. Let me see if anything comes to my brain today and I will update.

I think its actually in Newbury but close enough to the border of Byfield. It's a 60-70 yd range and about 3/4 mile walk in to get there.

You need to contact the Mass Wildlife Dept (in Acton) to get a permit to use it. Been there 3 times in the past 2 weeks and haven't seen anybody else there shooting. Kind of nice.

range in byfield

thanks for the response i will get a permit for use of the range and see how it goes

I live like not even 10 minutes from where this range probably is and never heard of it. Can someone tell me exactly where this is? I would love to be able to use it.

What's an abstract? Called the girl and she said you can shoot only guns used for hunting animals. She said the type of guns are listed in the abstract. Which you can get where they sell hunting permits.

Was at this range today and its not bad for an outside range. There were all kinds of brass from .22 all the way up to .45 and a lot of rifle rounds and shot gun shells all over the ground, so I guess you can shoot whatever out there. I am going to send in for my permit very soon so I can use this range. Here are some pictures.

range.jpg

rangesign.jpg

Yup thats the place I used to shoot at. Actually looks better then I remember it, not saying much.

Anyone on here have a permit for this range, or goes to shoot there?

I just sent mine in yesterday, hopefully I will have it soon so I can try out my new shotgun.

I just got my permit for this range for skeet shooting. The application says April 20th is the opening date. Does anyone else go here too? I'm also a member at Mass Rifle but this place sounded good too

I'm looking at the abstract and the Mass Wildlife website, but can't seem to find anything about this specific "public range". Is it a permit for this specific area or is it a more generalized permit?

It's a permit for the entire Martin Burns reservation area in Byfield. But, the permit is states clearly, "Target permit." It's just to keep track of who goes shooting there and if someone ever asks, you have that permit saying you can shoot there.

I went here today and shot my .223, 9mm and .22. I could not find the skeet range and some other guy asked me if I knew where it was also. The range is pretty decent if you like shooting outdoors. There was a ton of brass on the ground so it must get some use.

Back
Top Bottom