outdoor public range in byfield?

so i am not finding the actual permit application on the website linked above. has it changed or can someone point me to it . would like to go investigate this place.
also a mra member but its nice to have options...

The paper I sent in was given to my dad and I have no idea where he got it from. The date on it was 2006 but the permit is from 2012 forward. Call Mass Wildlife about the Martin Burns target range. It's free and only requires you to mail it in.

I'll be heading up here this afternoon (7/19) if anyone on here wants to shoot with me. I will be bringing many guns. It is going to be a nice sunny day.

If you're still in the dark about the permit, you just send in a paper with your name, DOB, LTC # and address along with a self addressed stmped return envelope to Mass Wildlife in Ayer. The following year you just have to send in last years permit and they know to renew it.

If you want to call to verify, Sue Ostertag is the lady in charge of the permits.

Do you need a hunting permit or any thing or will my LTC class A be fine?

Just LTC. The whole permitting process I think is just to keep a tally on how many use it.

Edit: it's on Orchard st. in Byfield. If coming from 95 Northbound take a right (or left if southbound) at the byfield/central St. exit and head about 1 mile then take a left onto orchard st. it's about 1 to 1.5 miles down this windy road on the left. If you see Byfield Automotive, it's about 1/8 mile further, there is a wooden sign at the gate.

Last edited:
Can some one help me with the mass law on legal hunting weapons . Since those are the only ones allowed at this place.

From what I read you can hunt with any gun , just season/and what your hunting dictates on caliber ...

So if I read laws right I could shoot any thing there(I'm not gonna bring a 50bmg). Sent my letter in Friday.

Can some one help me with the mass law on legal hunting weapons . Since those are the only ones allowed at this place.

From what I read you can hunt with any gun , just season/and what your hunting dictates on caliber ...

So if I read laws right I could shoot any thing there(I'm not gonna bring a 50bmg). Sent my letter in Friday.

I bring my 10/22 and 22 handguns, along with my 9mm's and my AR15. I sometimes bring my Benelli 12ga as well. You can hunt with any of those and I think they just want you to shoot what you'd normally hunt. No one is usually there and it's in the middle of nowhere. I rapid fired my AR without neighbors complaining or anything , it's a real nice outdoor range. There are only 4 targets and two "lanes". I sometimes shoot the tin cans that people put up as targets. If anyone ever asked if I was shooting at something other than paper I would just say that I was off target [rofl].

Back
Top Bottom