Overnighting in Maine next week

Hiltonizer

Banned
Going to a buddies house, bringing some toys to blast off in his sand pit.

Correct any of this that may be wrong, as its my plan based on what I've read so far.

Handgun: So long as its not concealed and not loaded (mag not inserted)I'm fine in the car. Open carry OK outside of vehicle (avoiding Portlandia)
AK's:Rifles are OK unlocked in the truck, so long as in plain view and unloaded.

Loaded mags being in the truck are OK. Teeth and deodorant optional.

If I read something wrong, and I can open carry my handgun in the car with a mag inserted but not one in the pipe, someone let me know.

You have it right. No loaded guns in the car unless you have a CCW permit. Having a mag in the gun and not in the pipe is considered loaded. The rest is right too. Have some fun in Maine!

Figured this is the closest to my questions w/o starting yet another thread...

The girl and I are going up to Sebago Lake for a few days. I'm riding the Harley, she's driving the Jeep Liberty (suv style, not wrangler/cj). We both have MA LTC A's and NH non-res permission slips.

The question is, when we enter Maine, what to do? She can drop mag, put gun and mag on passenger seat, she's cool. What do I do on the bike? Drop mag, reholster, mag in pocket? I don't have saddle bags, don't need a t-bag since our stuff will be in her jeep, so there's really nowhere else to put the gun. I'd rather not stop and hand off the gun to her if I don't have to.

Regarding long guns... Cased? Uncased? Of course unloaded, ammo in ammo cans, magazines not in case (if I bring cases) with the gun. Probably a mix of bolt action and semi-auto, maybe shotgun also. The problem is its a jeep/suv so there's no trunk per se. I'm probably over thinking the whole thing huh?

Typical IANAL stuff applies, I just travel to Maine alot.

As usual, your LTC is useless unless you stop at KTP to buy ammo. NH non-res only gets you to the bridge.

So long as your handgun is out in the open, it should be fine on the bike but needs to be unloaded. Conceal is a no-no. Could be a grey area with the mag also on you, I'd leave the mag in her vehicle to be safe in the event you are stopped.

Long guns unloaded, including no mag attached, visible in the vehicle. No case or lock required... so long as an LEO can see it just by looking in the car. Locked case is also fine of course and you'll probably have this coming from MA anyway.

She can be holstered openly in her car, but same applies with being unloaded including the mag. Recommend keeping the mags in the console or glove.

F#ck Portland. OC anyway. I drive through Maine with an AR on the passenger seat, cus I can.

I'll actually be looking at property again up around Norridgewock this weekend... might stop in one of the outfitters and get a truck rack just for the shit of it.

Well this thread is already at the top of the subforum and it relates to my questions, so here it goes...

Last time I stepped foot in ME was probably over 20 years ago. I'll be there this coming week with the girlfriend and we'll be staying at a house owned by her relatives. Let me make sure I have this right, as I don't have a ME non-res permit:

I can open carry the pistol (loaded of course) while I'm not in a vehicle. I cannot carry it onto school property, gov't buildings, so on and so on. If I'm in a vehicle, it has to be completely unloaded, but can it still be openly holstered on my hip? Or does it need to be sitting somewhere in plain sight in the car, not attached to me? If I want to take the lady to a nice restaurant, I probably don't want to walk in openly carrying, so can I lock it up and leave it in the car out of sight? If that is an option, what is considered legal for securing it in an unattended vehicle? I know MA law has nothing to do with ME law, but can I lock it in one of those soft-sided zipper cases with the integral locks, then put that in the lockable glove box? I'm assuming that might be overkill for ME, but that's what I do here (if I need to) and it gives me peace of mind.

Also, while I'm on/in the property owned by my girlfriend's relatives, I can conceal it loaded all I want, correct?

Why is this so complicated for everyone? Just put your shit in the trunk (back seat, whatever) and have a fun time. No locks, no BS, just don't carry locked and loaded and you will do a-ok (not that anyone would even notice).

Don't have a Maine CCW, don't carry concealed.

It is not the Alaskan wilderness, and no matter what you hear you won't get molested by red necks, it is pretty safe up here.

[cerberus];3365549 said:
...and no matter what you hear you won't get molested by red necks, it is pretty safe up here.

Speak for yourself
frabz-dang-you-got-a-purdy-mouth-b3ced7.jpg

Here's a little anecdote from a small town in ME. It can happen anywhere. Moonbats aren't restricted to large cities. The writer's editorializing will make you feel ill.[puke] Man was arrested for OCing a 'toy' gun. Not waving it around and pointing it at anyone...just carrying it! People were scared. [shocked]

Here: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/fran...olice-release-more-details-arrest-man/1403656

New link with more details and moonbattery.

Last edited:
[cerberus];3365549 said:
It is not the Alaskan wilderness, and no matter what you hear you won't get molested by red necks, it is pretty safe up here.

Yeah, well it's "pretty safe" down here on Cape Cod too. But I've been carrying a loaded firearm pretty much everywhere I go for 13 years, and now I just want to make sure I'm following the law while traveling to a place I haven't been to since I was still in middle school.

I believe it! Although I must say out of the time I've spent in Maine, pretty much everyone I came across was nice as can be. Given that I don't look like your average Mainer, I've always been wondering "Is today the day someone decides to **** with me". Well I came to the conclusion that outside of Portland, most people in Maine don't get much diversity, so when they do most seem to welcome it, particularly if you're not an a******. There was one occasion where my ex-gf locked her keys in the car, luckily in the parking lot of the N. Conway Walmart (okay not Maine, but for all intents might as well be). I head inside to grab some bailing wire and a prybar to fish those keys out, and the whole time it just keeps repeating in my head, "Yeah hi 911, there's some black guy in the Walmart parking lot that looks like he's trying to break into some girl's car..." Well to my surprise several people came over, introduced themselves, and offered to help. Those that didn't, waved from a distance offering encouragement. Oh yeah, and nobody gave two ****s that I was OC'ing the whole time. Go Maine!

The coastal region, Augusta, Lewiston, and the college towns are where you may have any issues. Outside of there, no one cares if you have a gun. The only reason why those people care is the coast is made up of all the masshats, the politicians in Augusta don't like to screw people over in fear, Lewiston is full of people getting mugged and college people are plain dumb.

[cerberus];3365614 said:
The coastal region, Augusta, Lewiston, and the college towns are where you may have any issues. Outside of there, no one cares if you have a gun. The only reason why those people care is the coast is made up of all the masshats, the politicians in Augusta don't like to screw people over in fear, Lewiston is full of people getting mugged and college people are plain dumb.

I believe the house we're staying at is right on the coast.

OC is likely only an issue in moonbat magnets, the toy gun incident was in Farmington which is one inland moonbat magnet. I probably wouldnt try it in Kennebunk or Freeport, and "the capital area" has some law against carry. Part of Portland too has its own weird carry laws IIRC.

But I was just up two weeks ago in and around Waterville, OC'd all the places... not as much as a funny look. Hell, stopped at a small country diner for breakfast and all the staff were wearing Stetson's

Ayuh!

OC is likely only an issue in moonbat magnets

When I bought my Sig 556 at Kittery Trading Post I almost shit myself after the sales woman just handed me the rifle with no box, no case, no nothing and said "keep em in the 10 ring". There I am sitting in front of the store cradling my new rifle wondering who's gonna call the cops on me first. Didn't take me long to put my silly Mass paranoia to rest and realize that I was no longer in some communist enclave, as everyone that walked by congratulated me on my new purchase. Hell even the Chinese tourists off the tour bus were happy for me!

[cerberus];3365549 said:
Why is this so complicated for everyone?

Well, you say that, but then I see...

[cerberus];3365614 said:

OC is likely only an issue in moonbat magnets, the toy gun incident was in Farmington which is one inland moonbat magnet. I probably wouldnt try it in Kennebunk or Freeport, and "the capital area" has some law against carry. Part of Portland too has its own weird carry laws IIRC.

So, for someone who knows squat about Maine, yeah I guess it is complicated! [laugh] I know, it's my own fault for not leaving MA to visit free New England states often enough, but besides:

Coastal region
Augusta
Lewiston
College towns
Farmington
Kennebunk
Freeport
"The Capital area"
parts of Portland

Are there any other towns I should think twice about openly carrying in? [thinking]

I saw a sign entering Kittery about some gun law there. As you are driving you can't actually read the sign however. No idea what it was about and I didn't worry about it. Just beware of things like: we visited a lighthouse in Kittery area and it is on a USCG station property. I didn't park on the USCG property and secured the gun before venturing thru the USCG property to the lighthouse.

I have posted to answer this question many times over the years. But for 45collector I will be happy to do it again.

The problem most people from away have with Maine gun laws is the lack of specificity and case law. For all practical purposes, there are only two gun laws in Maine.

1. No conceal carry without a permit. Without a CCW, you cannot have a gun concealed on you or "about your person's person."
2. No loaded guns in a car (loaded mag inserted in gun with chamber empty is legally loaded). The exception is if you have a CCW and the gun in question is a handgun. (This is primarily a hunting law and not a gun control issue).

That is it really. Everything else is allowed. There are some restrictions as to where you can carry concealed or other wise. Generally that would be the Capitol grounds in Augusta, public primary and secondary schools and their grounds, USPS PO's, court rooms, and bars that have a sign posted.

There is no law or case law that defines what conceal carry means. There is no law that addresses open carry. If you have a gun in a holster and you are in a car with a seatbelt on and that gun is blocked from view you may be breaking the law. It is hard to tell as there is no clearly defined law and no case law. Just make sure it is not concealed "about your person's person" and you will be safe. I interpret this phrase to mean that you cannot have a gun on you or with in your reach that is not obviously visible.

There are no laws about locking guns in cars. There are no laws about having guns and ammo away from each other. Having a unloaded 1911 on the seat next to you with 3 loaded mags is legal. There are no laws about how to transport guns. There are no storage laws nor any requirements for buying and selling guns. As a citizen, you are expected to act responsibly and with common sense so a plethora of laws are not necessary. And be prepared to talk to the police if you open carry in a "fear of guns" zone such as Portland. You will not get arrested, but you may get talked to. There is no law against CCW on "non-public" property.

Good luck and have fun in ME.

BTW, my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Last time I stepped foot in ME was probably over 20 years ago. I'll be there this coming week with the girlfriend and we'll be staying at a house owned by her relatives. Let me make sure I have this right, as I don't have a ME non-res permit:

I can open carry the pistol (loaded of course) while I'm not in a vehicle. I cannot carry it onto school property, gov't buildings, so on and so on. If I'm in a vehicle, it has to be completely unloaded, but can it still be openly holstered on my hip? Or does it need to be sitting somewhere in plain sight in the car, not attached to me? If I want to take the lady to a nice restaurant, I probably don't want to walk in openly carrying, so can I lock it up and leave it in the car out of sight? If that is an option, what is considered legal for securing it in an unattended vehicle? I know MA law has nothing to do with ME law, but can I lock it in one of those soft-sided zipper cases with the integral locks, then put that in the lockable glove box? I'm assuming that might be overkill for ME, but that's what I do here (if I need to) and it gives me peace of mind.

Also, while I'm on/in the property owned by my girlfriend's relatives, I can conceal it loaded all I want, correct?

Thanks for all the info. Will be up "around Moosehead Lake" this week with whole family. I understand all things related to concealed and open carry of handguns and proximity in a vehicle.

What about magazine capacity? I plan on having two ARs in a locked case (probably won't even open them) and some full standard cap magazines (all of which are legal in MA with my unrestricted LTC-A), "just in case" (pun intended).

I'll also probably open carry my Super Redhawk 44 mag with 340 gr bear defense loads which I am comfortable open carrying as I do in the Montana backcountry (was a back country fly fishing guide for 3 summers there).

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info. Will be up "around Moosehead Lake" this week with whole family. I understand all things related to concealed and open carry of handguns and proximity in a vehicle.

What about magazine capacity? I plan on having two ARs in a locked case (probably won't even open them) and some full standard cap magazines (all of which are legal in MA with my unrestricted LTC-A), "just in case" (pun intended).

I'll also probably open carry my Super Redhawk 44 mag with 340 gr bear defense loads which I am comfortable open carrying as I do in the Montana backcountry (was a back country fly fishing guide for 3 summers there).

Thanks!

No issues with mag size.

I can't seem to find any storage laws. Like trigger locks or safes at your home. Is this because there are no laws for this? I'm from mass so I'm a bit retarded thru no fault of my own.

Apply for your non resident firearms lic. . You can download the application on line. New Hampshire is the same on line application.. Its nice to have them just in case you want to travel up to Maine to beat Martin08 at some of the deals he finds up there[laugh]
Only kidding Martin08

I can't seem to find any storage laws. Like trigger locks or safes at your home. Is this because there are no laws for this? I'm from mass so I'm a bit retarded thru no fault of my own.

In NH, the only storage law is that it be secured from minors. No kids, no problems. Kicking the kid can down the road as long as possible with the wife.

I believe ME is the same but not positive.

Back
Top Bottom