Penn state deer

so...a friend has a few acres in pennsylvania and has invited me up for a week long hunting trip...hes up there now for bow season and i may try to sneak up in the next few weeks but my primary concern is rifle season which is in december

i have a scoped marlin 30/30 lever action and a scoped savage 30/06 bolt action...which gun...as my first ever rifle hunt...would you guys think is the better to take? ill prob take both just to have 1 as a back up but which would be the primary gun?

i know most tout the lever action as a brush gun and the bolt gun as a distance rifle...having never hunted...nevermind hunted in PA...not sure which rifle would better suit me

so...a friend has a few acres in pennsylvania and has invited me up for a week long hunting trip...hes up there now for bow season and i may try to sneak up in the next few weeks but my primary concern is rifle season which is in december

i have a scoped marlin 30/30 lever action and a scoped savage 30/06 bolt action...which gun...as my first ever rifle hunt...would you guys think is the better to take? ill prob take both just to have 1 as a back up but which would be the primary gun?

i know most tout the lever action as a brush gun and the bolt gun as a distance rifle...having never hunted...nevermind hunted in PA...not sure which rifle would better suit me

What power scope is on each of them? That may be the deciding factor moreso than the rifle depending on the exact area you will be hunting. You may need one that can go to a very low power if you will be hunting thick areas, or you may need a higher power one if it is a wide open field.

Both the '06 and the 30/30 have taken millions of deer, so you can't really go wrong with either cartridge.

I'm not a hunter, but I grew up in PA. Which rifle to take depends on where in PA you'll be. PA is a big state (by east coast standards anyway), and you can find pretty much any type of land somewhere in PA. Southeastern PA, where I grew up, is mostly rolling hills with relatively thick forest. I doubt you'd ever see a shot over 100 yards other than a powerline right of way.

Take them both and decide depending on the terrain you will be hunting.

Also which one are you able to get off a 2nd round quicker? Have you practiced with either one?

I lived in Western PA for a few years. The deer were so plentiful that they were the size of Great Danes. I'd just bring a slingshot and a few pebbles.

thats what ive heard...not looking to bag a monster just excited to get out for the first time and hopefully bring something home

Either rifle will do the job. I would use the rifle that you are most comfortable with.

Good luck and have fun on your hunt,

Matt

I hunted PA last year and the first deer I shot was about 80yds away, while the second was about 40yds away. Take them both, but you'll probably be better suited with the 30-30. With the new hornady leverlution (sp?) ammo the 30-30's are accurate out to 200yds. I brought a 30-06 pump, and a 7mm-08 bolt action, and ended up killing both with the 7mm-08, but that just happen to be what I had at the time.

Back
Top Bottom