Permit application - possible arrest

Hey all, first time posting here and I just got back from my NRA class to submit my pistol license application. I'm a bit nervous because I have read that even leaving off some sort of traffic conviction can cause a denial. Because of this I've run criminal background checks on three different sites to make sure I'm not leaving something off there they will find on their own. Does anyone know if these on-line searches are even accurate at all? The only two things I found under criminal was an infraction for operating a vehicle with lapsed car insurance which a fine was paid for. I "thought" was arrested back around 1999 for someone telling the copes I stole their kitchen table which was laughed out of court by the judge. I can't find any record of it on-line though, but I think I had my finger prints taken when i brought the table to the police station. I defiantly didn't have any mug shots or anything taken. I don't want to leave it off if they might find and disapprove saying I lied on the app, but it seems like it might not have been an arrest at all. Any suggestions on that one? Im going to list the DMV one as a conviction side the background checks do show that.

They can see all now with the law thay are passing.But you should be all set nothing that bad you should tell them that way it does not make it look like you are hidding nothing

They can see all now with the law thay are passing.But you should be all set nothing that bad you should tell them that way it does not make it look like you are hidding nothing

Yeah, my big question is should I just let them know or try to find the actual information for it from the courts first. I guess I can just call the state police office first before I submit to them and see what they say. Just surprised it didn't show up on three different searches.

Yeah, my big question is should I just let them know or try to find the actual information for it from the courts first. I guess I can just call the state police office first before I submit to them and see what they say. Just surprised it didn't show up on three different searches.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are you hiding something? You obviously know whatever you did or didn't do without looking it up. If you are truly worried maybe you should ask one of the attorneys NES always refers to for gun related law. If you do lie, and get caught, you may be screwed.
JMO

Btw, I was arrested at age 16 for minor in poss. of alcohol, and when I tell the police for the application, they always say to don't even put it down. Don't know if that helps.

Last edited:
Not hiding anything at all, just not sure if it was an "arrest" or not. I was more looking it up to see if there was anything lingering like a parking ticket or something from forever ago that I might have forgotten about. I suppose it's safest to call the police and ask them if I'll need to list more details about it.

Not hiding anything at all, just not sure if it was an "arrest" or not. I was more looking it up to see if there was anything lingering like a parking ticket or something from forever ago that I might have forgotten about. I suppose it's safest to call the police and ask them if I'll need to list more details about it.

Yeah, like I said, I honestly was not being snide, just trying to help. I'm no expert but parking tickets and such have no effect. Just ask when you get to that question, tell them what it is, and go from there. The Tewksbury cops have always been cool in this regard. Do you live in a green town?

Yeah, like I said, I honestly was not being snide, just trying to help. I'm no expert but parking tickets and such have no effect. Just ask when you get to that question, tell them what it is, and go from there. The Tewksbury cops have always been cool in this regard. Do you live in a green town?

No sweat, it's just scary to read why people have been denied for little things after going through all the hoops and paying a lot of money to apply. I live in a very small town and the state police office is the local police. I just want to make sure I do my honest part so it doesn't look like I left something off there on purpose. On the application it simply asks if arrested and another question ask if convicted. Id think I need to list the infraction under convicted, but I guess safest bet is to ask the State Police before I bring in the app.

No sweat, it's just scary to read why people have been denied for little things after going through all the hoops and paying a lot of money to apply. I live in a very small town and the state police office is the local police. I just want to make sure I do my honest part so it doesn't look like I left something off there on purpose. On the application it simply asks if arrested and another question ask if convicted. Id think I need to list the infraction under convicted, but I guess safest bet is to ask the State Police before I bring in the app.

I agree with you. If I make a mistake I prefer it to be an honest one. It's the only way to go. Good luck with it.

The only two things I found under criminal was an infraction for operating a vehicle with lapsed car insurance which a fine was paid for.

This particular statement is oxymoronic, as an "infraction" is by definition non-criminal. You need to find out of the offense was criminal, or a non-criminal civil infraction. The former must be reported; not so with the later.

I "thought" was arrested back around 1999 for someone telling the copes I stole their kitchen table which was laughed out of court by the judge. I can't find any record of it on-line though, but I think I had my finger prints taken when i brought the table to the police station.

If you were in a situation where it was "laughed out of court", it will be VERY hard to argue that you were not a "defendant" in the context of question 10 on the application. The fact you had to appear before a judge in a criminal matter means you were a defendant, and the answer is yes - unless you choose to play the VERY risky game of thinking the PD won't find out. Their access to records exceeds anything you can buy in an on-line search.

This particular statement is oxymoronic, as an "infraction" is by definition non-criminal. You need to find out of the offense was criminal, or a non-criminal civil infraction. The former must be reported; not so with the later.

I guess the on-line reports don't help very much. It's listed as an infraction, but again I guess it's safest to ask. I was going to list it under the "were you ever convicted question" just in case since it doesn't ask weather it was criminal or not, just if you were ever convicted which I would assume to be "yes"

If you were in a situation where it was "laughed out of court", it will be VERY hard to argue that you were not a "defendant" in the context of question 10 on the application. The fact you had to appear before a judge in a criminal matter means you were a defendant, and the answer is yes - unless you choose to play the VERY risky game of thinking the PD won't find out. Their access to records exceeds anything you can buy in an on-line search.

Yeah, Id rather not risk leaving it off, but Im guessing I need more information to put on the application than simply listing that I am unsure of the details.

It would be nice to have a completely squeaky clean record, but thanks for the support so far. Just being able to ask others is helpful.

You should be able to go to the court and get a copy of your record. If you went before a judge then there will be a paper trail associated with the incident.

If you hired an attorney then they can probably get you a copy of the complaint and any other relevant information. Do your homework before submitting the application and read the questions carefully, especially #10.

My sister had an assault charge,she beat the crap out of another girl when she was 15, she got a year probation for it when she told the licensing officer about it he laughed and gave her a full unrestricted class a, just be completely honest no bs .

there are cases where person was arrested but then charges were dropped. Arrest seems like guilty of something, but the fact is, guilty or not, there is a record of it, even if arrest was made in error. Cops will know, don't hide it.

You should be able to go to the court and get a copy of your record. If you went before a judge then there will be a paper trail associated with the incident.

If you hired an attorney then they can probably get you a copy of the complaint and any other relevant information. Do your homework before submitting the application and read the questions carefully, especially #10.

I'll try calling them. This is a WAYYYY small town and I knew the judge. It's about 4 hours away from where I live now (offence was in NY and im now in CT).

It might not be Q10 on the CT application. [laugh]

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Just a FYI those online checks are worthless and not to be trusted. A lot of states don't have a site a third party could even search like MA. You need to hire a legit well known background check company to get a decent search. They do soft pulls on a credit and other things to find places where you have lived and then they search those states along with national checks.

Just a FYI those online checks are worthless and not to be trusted. A lot of states don't have a site a third party could even search like MA. You need to hire a legit well known background check company to get a decent search. They do soft pulls on a credit and other things to find places where you have lived and then they search those states along with national checks.
Lesson learned on that one. Its just a lot of money to apply and I have seen guys post about traffic tickets that they forgot about that got them denied. I don't have anything that I'm amawevof but who knows.

In order to obtain a MA non-resident license you have to submit a criminal background check issued by the State Police. Just go online and you'll find the instructions. You can simply ask them to supply one to you for a fee of $25 (last time I checked) and a self-addressed stamped envelope. They will do the check for you and it will be as thorough as you'll need for anything and mail it to you. That's the best way. I wouldn't trust the other online "services" to be totally thorough. If the Staties give you a clean bill of health you'll know it's comprehensive.

Just a suggestion.

Rome

You should PM dcmdon. He really knows what he's talking about when it comes to CT's pistol permit process. He helped me out a bunch and is a good guy. I'm actually shocked he hasn't joined in on this thread yet.

I really shouldn't have trusted the online checks, but I was honest on the app unless they check speeding tickets and such (which I understand are gone from the DMV after 4 years). I submitted my app wed so all I can do is hope for the best. I've never been convicted of a crime besides the illegal operation of mv without insurance which I listed.

Freddie,

thanks for the intro. As some of you know, I recently moved to MA so I've had my own stuff to deal with. I just saw this thread.

So redline. First off, take a deep breath. You have exercised due diligence in trying to figure out if you were convicted. Based on this information, you should feel comfortable saying "no" to any questions relating to this.

Whats the worst thing that can happen?? Seriously. They can deny you. Big deal. I'll personally help you with the appeals process with the BFPE.

ITS NO BIG DEAL!!! You live in CT, not MA. CT is a de-facto shall-issue state. Sure some PDs can try to make things inconvenient. But in the end you will get your PP, provided that you are not a prohibited person.

So take off your leg warmers, grab a pen and fill out that DPS-799

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

If it takes more than 5 minutes to fill it out, you are over-thinking it. The hardest part should be figuring out who to make what check out to. (thats genuinely confusing)
Don't forget to get it notarized and have the checks made out before you get to the PD.

Then let us know how it works out.

But most importantly, when you go into your local PD, be confident. You are not groveling for the police to "give" you a pistol permit. You are complying with an administrative requirement so that you can exercise your 2nd Amendment right. Be polite, but be firm. Provided you are not a prohibited person, they MUST issue you a pistol permit.

Don

p.s. In stark contrast, I had my interview today to get a MA LTC. In MA, I am completely beholden to the issuing authority, in my case the chief of police. My ability to get a LTC, and the restrictions placed on it are completely up to the chief. If he denies me or restricts me, my only recourse is to take him to court. This is VERY VERY different from CT, where we have the BFPE.

(do yourself a favor, spend some time here poking around: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp )

The BFPE is an independent group that this the ultimate authority on all things pistol permit related. The board is made up of attorneys, LEOs, industry people and regular citizens. They are EXCEEDINGLY fair. For example they have explicitly said that:

1) extra requirements like letters of recommendations and photos are illegal
2) open carry is legal.

The BFPE makes the local PDs follow the law. MA has nothing like that. So while my interview went well, and the town I live in is a "green" town, I must wait with my fingers crossed. This is something you should not do. There's no need. You WILL get your PP.

Freddie,

thanks for the intro. As some of you know, I recently moved to MA so I've had my own stuff to deal with. I just saw this thread.

So redline. First off, take a deep breath. You have exercised due diligence in trying to figure out if you were convicted. Based on this information, you should feel comfortable saying "no" to any questions relating to this.

Whats the worst thing that can happen?? Seriously. They can deny you. Big deal. I'll personally help you with the appeals process with the BFPE.

ITS NO BIG DEAL!!! You live in CT, not MA. CT is a de-facto shall-issue state. Sure some PDs can try to make things inconvenient. But in the end you will get your PP, provided that you are not a prohibited person.

So take off your leg warmers, grab a pen and fill out that DPS-799

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

If it takes more than 5 minutes to fill it out, you are over-thinking it. The hardest part should be figuring out who to make what check out to. (thats genuinely confusing)
Don't forget to get it notarized and have the checks made out before you get to the PD.

Then let us know how it works out.

But most importantly, when you go into your local PD, be confident. You are not groveling for the police to "give" you a pistol permit. You are complying with an administrative requirement so that you can exercise your 2nd Amendment right. Be polite, but be firm. Provided you are not a prohibited person, they MUST issue you a pistol permit.

Don

p.s. In stark contrast, I had my interview today to get a MA LTC. In MA, I am completely beholden to the issuing authority, in my case the chief of police. My ability to get a LTC, and the restrictions placed on it are completely up to the chief. If he denies me or restricts me, my only recourse is to take him to court. This is VERY VERY different from CT, where we have the BFPE.

(do yourself a favor, spend some time here poking around: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp )

The BFPE is an independent group that this the ultimate authority on all things pistol permit related. The board is made up of attorneys, LEOs, industry people and regular citizens. They are EXCEEDINGLY fair. For example they have explicitly said that:

1) extra requirements like letters of recommendations and photos are illegal
2) open carry is legal.

The BFPE makes the local PDs follow the law. MA has nothing like that. So while my interview went well, and the town I live in is a "green" town, I must wait with my fingers crossed. This is something you should not do. There's no need. You WILL get your PP.

Thanks for all of that. I do wish I'd have visited the forums a bit more, but I do feel I tried to make my application as honest as I could (I did mark yes and say that I'm honestly not sure as I can find no records of it). I've read a lot of horror stories about people forgetting to list a cell phone while driving ticket and getting denied for that. I'm just a guy that would like his own pistol to go to the range for target practice. While the online background checks might not be totally accurate, it did allow me to list a conviction for driving without optimal insurance which I am sure would have shown up. The other part of the puzzle if DMV stuff really needs to be noted (nothing like a DUI or anything) that the DMV only keeps these records for like 3-4 years depending. I hope my process goes smoothly and saves me the hassle of an appeal. I'm not in too much of a rush, but I'd love to start shooting sooner than later.

Please understand I'm not trying to flame you. I'm just mentioning this because this is a good thread that others could learn from.

I have to call out on the tone of your last post. You sound like you are still a little intimidated by the process. This is understandable. Its hard to shake the idea that you are asking the issuing authority for permission to get a pistol permit. But you need to remember that there are specific circumstances under which you would become a prohibited person. If your CONVICTIONS (it doesn't matter what you are charged with, only convictions count) don't rise to that level, then the issuing authority MUST issue you a permit. Again, you are not asking permission. You are simply completing an administrative process that WILL result in a pistol permit once completed. A

Do you think "gosh, I hope this goes ok" when you renew your drivers license? Of course not. This is no different. Actually, its worse. You don't have a state constitutionally guaranteed right to drive a car. Remember that the CT constitutions is even more "pro gun" than the 2nd Amendment. (Article First, § 15] “Every citizen has the right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.” ) You should be just as annoyed and angry if your pistol permit process does not go as smoothly as your driver's license renewal process. At its most basic level, you are the customer.

DMV issues other than reckless driving and DUI should just be ignored. They are irrelevant. So stop thinking about it. You are wearing yourself out.

Please read this: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1838&Q=418126&PM=1

The application is submitted, so the clock begins. They have 8 weeks to turn it around or they are in violation of CT general statutes.

Don

Please understand I'm not trying to flame you. I'm just mentioning this because this is a good thread that others could learn from.

I have to call out on the tone of your last post. You sound like you are still a little intimidated by the process. This is understandable. Its hard to shake the idea that you are asking the issuing authority for permission to get a pistol permit. But you need to remember that there are specific circumstances under which you would become a prohibited person. If your CONVICTIONS (it doesn't matter what you are charged with, only convictions count) don't rise to that level, then the issuing authority MUST issue you a permit. Again, you are not asking permission. You are simply completing an administrative process that WILL result in a pistol permit once completed. A

Do you think "gosh, I hope this goes ok" when you renew your drivers license? Of course not. This is no different. Actually, its worse. You don't have a state constitutionally guaranteed right to drive a car. Remember that the CT constitutions is even more "pro gun" than the 2nd Amendment. (Article First, § 15] “Every citizen has the right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.” ) You should be just as annoyed and angry if your pistol permit process does not go as smoothly as your driver's license renewal process. At its most basic level, you are the customer.

DMV issues other than reckless driving and DUI should just be ignored. They are irrelevant. So stop thinking about it. You are wearing yourself out.

Please read this: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1838&Q=418126&PM=1

The application is submitted, so the clock begins. They have 8 weeks to turn it around or they are in violation of CT general statutes.

Don

All good man and is great information. Yes, very intimidating to us guys that are totally new to this. I've also read that the issuing authority has 5 days to send your paper work to state police and then a week to make a decision after national results are back. Fact or not I don't know.

All good man and is great information. Yes, very intimidating to us guys that are totally new to this. I've also read that the issuing authority has 5 days to send your paper work to state police and then a week to make a decision after national results are back. Fact or not I don't know.

Fact. But there's no way to enforce it. That statute has no teeth in it as far as punishment for the issuing authority if they don't comply.

Here is the reality. A PD can turn a permit app around in a week if the SPBI is doing their part. Based on recent feedback I've gotten the SPBI has now worked through their "backlog". Another point is that a PD can issue a permit without waiting for the results of the check if they can reasonably ascertain your identity via other means.

Sergeant Calvo, who handles permitting for Windsor CT will issue without a response if the state delays getting his info back. His response to my inquiries was that any officer who is willing to do some basic police work can confirm identity. Once identity is confirmed, a background check is instantaneous.

Windsor regularly turns around applications in 2-3 weeks. The record with my students so far is 5 business days.

Fact. But there's no way to enforce it. That statute has no teeth in it as far as punishment for the issuing authority if they don't comply.

Here is the reality. A PD can turn a permit app around in a week if the SPBI is doing their part. Based on recent feedback I've gotten the SPBI has now worked through their "backlog". Another point is that a PD can issue a permit without waiting for the results of the check if they can reasonably ascertain your identity via other means.

Sergeant Calvo, who handles permitting for Windsor CT will issue without a response if the state delays getting his info back. His response to my inquiries was that any officer who is willing to do some basic police work can confirm identity. Once identity is confirmed, a background check is instantaneous.

Windsor regularly turns around applications in 2-3 weeks. The record with my students so far is 5 business days.

At the lest it looks like if the local authority misses their 5 day window to send my prints out to SPBI I can at least start the appeal process. SPBI told me today 16 week back log. I am however having a hard time getting dates out of anyone.

Back
Top Bottom