Phew ...finding out just how tough MA!

Hi All

New to the forum and basically new to gun ownership and shooting.

Wow, is it ever rough getting licensed and then getting a pistol in MA (legally that is!) I don't why I am surprised since I have lived here nearly 20 years and have certainly read and heard many stories on our strict gun laws. I guess because I personally hadn't looked into getting a gun that I didn't realize just how severe the situation is.

Back when I was 18, I basically walked into my local hardware store in my hometown in northern NYS and bought my first shotgun, no questions asked.

Today, I find that in my town (Everett) I can't even pick up the LTC application packet unless it is the 1st or 3rd Monday of the month ...at noon only! This is just to pick up the packet. Supposedly I can fill it out and submit it at that time as well but those same times are when you also must submit your application.

I also found out I can't even hold a pistol in a store unless I have a FID or LTC. [sad2] Ouch, that hurt!

I read here that Everett is supposedly "green," which is a small ray of hope I can cling to. At least that is what was submitted by one person. I sure hope that is true. Does "green" mean you will likely be able to obtain a Class A LTC ALP with no restrictions?

Anyway, being a newb, I wanted to share with you all what you already know but is a new baffling process for me.

Paul

Welcome to the bullshit that is Mass. gun laws. Where legal gun owners are to be feared by the general population.
Good luck with your application in Everett. Keep us informed of your progress and how many hoops you have to jump through.

To truly find out if your town is Green or not, straight up call your local chief and ask if he issues an unrestricted LTC for ALP to a qualified candidate. If he's using smoke and mirrors then its not green, if he says "Yes, we will issue a license to a qualified person" then its green. Any other BS involved would categorize a town into "red" or "black". As good of a resource this forum can be, it only reflect one individuals experience and is not the absolute. Take some time, and make sure to approach this very professionally regardless of the chiefs response.

Check to see if the PD has a website and if so, do they delineate what they demand for a LTC?

The actual form can be DL'd from the state's website. There is a link here in a Gun Laws forum sticky or you can probably find it off the links on the www.goal.org or www.fsguns.com websites.

That might help you avoid one "high noon" (only) inconvenience.

Good luck.

Check to see if the PD has a website and if so, do they delineate what they demand for a LTC?

The actual form can be DL'd from the state's website. There is a link here in a Gun Laws forum sticky or you can probably find it off the links on the www.goal.org or www.fsguns.com websites.

That might help you avoid one "high noon" (only) inconvenience.

Good luck.

Len,

He can download it but I get nervous when I hear the word "packet". That usually means a bunch of other "stuff" that the chief arbitrarily requires. Simply adhering to the law and filling out the application might not get him what he needs.

Karnog,

You might be better off retaining an attorney with experience in these matters to help you through the process. It can mean the difference between a restricted license and an ALP LTC A.

A couple of them are members here.

I wouldn't get too concerned about hearing the word packet. Many times, the packet simply contains the application and a list of some common gun laws, or "the list" attached. Granted though, many times the packet will contain a list of 1-20 amendments to your application.

Jim,

That's why I first suggested to check for a website with a laundry list of what they demand. Many PDs are brassy enough to put this info on line, with no fear of retribution since most of the add-ons aren't in compliance with the laws.

Thanks for all the input from everyone so far.

They don't have a website, so I am stuck with waiting for my "surprise kit" on the third Monday of September (since they will be "closed" to this process on Labor Day with no alternative day to come in.)

I have actually setup an appointment with Atty. Darius Arbabi (many of you know him I am sure.) I really want this to go smoothly and one hour with him is worth it in my opinion. I was hoping to have Everett's paperwork with me but he said not to worry about that if I can't get it before I meet with him.

They're BSing you about not being able to handle a gun. Many shops have that as a policy, but it's not a law

Really? Jesus, I hate this state and all the BS that people try to pass off as law... I think I'm going to start a rumor that it's Mass law that a shop owner must kiss the ass of a customer upon completion of a gun purchase. Or maybe the local PD is required to provide free ammunition to gun owners in it's town.

Well, we know by the crime rate rising faster than the average US rate that the laws are not preventing any crimes.

So, how about all those crimes where a major contributing factor was the license and registration of firearms and their owners? Here is the complete unabridged list of all cases where this information was vital to the solving of the crime:

----- Start list -------

----- End List -----

How do we know that this is the case? Because every Gun banning organization would tout the success of such laws with clear examples if any truly existed.

But instead of fixing roads, improving schools, and doing all the stuff we actually WANT a central government to do, we see the state wasting millions of dollars every year keeping track of people who have PROVEN to be the least likely to pose a risk, and their property.

Brilliant!

They may require letters of reference for new licenses. My last renewal in Everett took 10 weeks
in 2002/2003 (ltca-alp)
GC

I may be looking at this the wrong way but calm down. Everybody is so easy to over react. I will almost guarantee that the LEO in charge of licensing does it as a part time job and the only way to attempt to organize it is by setting the appointment schedule you recited previously. The packet will contain an application, Mass Gun Laws and other sundry items you need to read. I'm surprised they aren't available in the lobby but maybe he is too busy to continually copy and collate.

I received my first unrestricted LTC from Everett many years ago and I know times and attitudes change but because you are inconvenienced by the Police schedule...don't go overboard and think the worst. I feel confident you will not need Darius' consult but if it makes you feel better then spend your money (I'd rather save it for a gun).

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Here is an update on the process. It seems this is a departure from what is "normal" in other towns.

I spoke to an officer today and he told me there is no application to pick up and fill out. What I should do is phone the station on the 1st or 3rd Monday of the month before 11am to find out if the application processing officer will definitely be in to process applications that day. Apparently he sometimes is out (vacation day, sick day, etc.) and in that case no applications are going to get processed.

Once I confirm he will be in that day, come down to the station and basically wait until noon so I can sign my name in their appointment book. He said sometimes there is a line and its first come first server and they only process 6 applicants per day (which means maximum of 12 people per month.) Once you get your name signed into the appointment book, you will be given a time to meet (that same day between 1pm-4pm.)

You then come to your appointment and everything is filled out by the application officer on their computer and you are also fingerprinted then.

That's as much as I know so far. I doubt they make any decision right then and there but it keeps getting more "interesting!" [rolleyes]

Paul

This was something that happened to me. I had to go down to the PD at a certain time with my letters of reference and safety course. He then just filled in the info in the computer, fingerprinted me and said they will call when they get my license in (green town).

This is an obstructionist, abusive load of crap from the Massachusetts Chiefs of police.
I'm glad I got out of there.
GC

Here is an update on the process. It seems this is a departure from what is "normal" in other towns.

I spoke to an officer today and he told me there is no application to pick up and fill out. What I should do is phone the station on the 1st or 3rd Monday of the month before 11am to find out if the application processing officer will definitely be in to process applications that day. Apparently he sometimes is out (vacation day, sick day, etc.) and in that case no applications are going to get processed.

Once I confirm he will be in that day, come down to the station and basically wait until noon so I can sign my name in their appointment book. He said sometimes there is a line and its first come first server and they only process 6 applicants per day (which means maximum of 12 people per month.) Once you get your name signed into the appointment book, you will be given a time to meet (that same day between 1pm-4pm.)

You then come to your appointment and everything is filled out by the application officer on their computer and you are also fingerprinted then.

That's as much as I know so far. I doubt they make any decision right then and there but it keeps getting more "interesting!" [rolleyes]

Paul

Back
Top Bottom