"Pinning" M4 Rear Stock

EzGoingKev

NES Member
I am purchasing an M4 from a friend that is a LEO.

Since it is not a preban I know that the rear stock has to be made inop, ie pinned.

As long as it is made inop is that good to go or is there a specific method it has to be rendered inop required by law?

It has to be fixed such that you can't unpin it without extensive work.

Remember to remove the bayonet lug and flash hider as well.

Remember to remove the bayonet lug and flash hider as well.

And when you remove the FH make sure you permanently cover the threads, permanently attach a muzzle brake or remove the threads.

The ones that I have seen look like they have two holes drilled through and roll pins installed. As the roll pins can be punched in and out in two seconds that doesn't seem like extensive work to me.

The ones that I have seen look like they have two holes drilled through and roll pins installed. As the roll pins can be punched in and out in two seconds that doesn't seem like extensive work to me.

That is only true if the item is through pinned (i.e., you can see both ends of the pin in a whole that goes all the way through the pinned object). Most MA-legal carbine stocks I have seen are blind pinned, and removing blind pins is a bitch (and doing it without cosmetically destroying the pinned object borders on the impossible).

Essentially as long as you don't have the ability to collapse/fold the stock within a second or two you more than likely have met the legal requirement. It's like the fine line between collapsible and adjustable. One takes a lot more work to change the length of the firearm.

I tried finding the exact wording of the law and sifted through a lot of confusing junk.

Does anyone have a link to the section of the law that applies to the stock?

Essentially as long as you don't have the ability to collapse/fold the stock within a second or two you more than likely have met the legal requirement. It's like the fine line between collapsible and adjustable. One takes a lot more work to change the length of the firearm.

I am pretty sure it's supposed to be a permanent modification.

my 2 cents...this sounds like one of those "good deals" that doesn't turn out that great....
#1. there is no law against it, but if you are buying this from a LEO, I suspect it might be LEO marked, and regardless of how you neuter it and how 100% legal you are, in this not so gun friendly state you might get a hassle now and again, and have to explain why you are a non-leo w/ a leo only marked gun...
#2. as already stated by others you have to deal with the stock, bayonet lug, and flash supressor...all can be done by the "home gunsmith" but to be done nicely probably should be sent out to be done, ie. more $$$

If I were in your shoes, I'd just buy a "post ban" gun, or trade this one for a "post ban" gun...or option two basicly do the same thing only keeping the receiver and buy a fixed stock and swap it out, and buy a new upper an swap it out...

I am pretty sure it's supposed to be a permanent modification.

Yes, I should have stated that specifically in my post. But that's not to say that if you don't like the original position that the stock is pinned in that you couldn't unpin it and then have it pinned in another position. I think that is what I was trying to say.

Thank God you saw right through the question I asked in the subject line and knew that I really wanted someone to play wise old owl and give me their 2 cents.

Thank you again.

Considering there were 7 different people ahead of my post with varying opinions on what "pinned" means ... just figured you might consider looking at the "big picture" of this buy...isn't the internet great you get advise you don't even ask for [wink]

Still I'd say its easier just to spend $40 and buy an already pinned stock, rather than roll your own and end up with a stock that possibly is not legal and/or might look shitty...and if you sold the current stock you might even make $$$ in the end...Thanks for your time KotI [laugh]

Last edited:
It is my own fault for giving too much info.

If I had only asked the question and not provided extra details then there wouldn't have had any temptation to wade on in and play king of the internet.

Back
Top Bottom