Pistol data for Alliant Steel?

I ended up with some of this instead of Power Pistol. I know some people have experimented with it in 10mm, 9X23, and .38 super. I am looking to do .45 and 9mm. I have googled and searched the reloading sections of a couple forums and not found anything in those calibers. I would prefer something from a manual, but I understand I probably won't get it.

Principal Purpose Non-toxic hunting shotshell

Secondary Uses 2 oz. turkey loads

Remarks The only powder designed specifically for steel shotshell and other non-toxic shot

This powder does not appear to be suitable for anything other than shotshell reloading.

This powder does not appear to be suitable for anything other than shotshell reloading.

Sure it is, it's just a matter of finding the right data. Most (if not all) "shotgun" powders can be used for pistol reloading. Many of the most popular "pistol" powders were originally developed for shotshell reloading. Some (like Lil' Gun) were designed for a specific shotgun purpose.

With that said, I haven't been able to find any handgun data for Steel. The burn rate for Steel falls between Blue Dot and 2400. This is a little slow for .45 or 9mm.

If someone gave me a pound, I'd either try to trade it with a shotgunner, or use it for fertilizer.

If you have your heart set on being a pioneer, you'd probably be safe starting off at 10% below the low-end Blue Dot loads, and gradually move up while looking for pressure signs.

The four things that I'd have on hand would be:
  1. Someone else's gun (to test with)
  2. 500' of twine
  3. A roll of duct tape
  4. A First Aid kit.

EDIT: I just saw your WTT ad. That's probably a good move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom