• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Playing the Contrarian in a Time of Panic

Isnt the P32 like 7oz? Thats a pretty good bit lighter than most .380s. I dont have any first hand experience with one but id definitely buy it if i could find one for close to msrp.

About 8oz empty vs 9-11oz for the other small .380s. For me the difference was so small I went with the bigger cartridge. Plus the P32 grips are SO thin it wasn't as pleasant to shoot for me.

Yep, the Bobcat in .25auto.
Never owned or fired one. Any good?

I had one. The gun ran flawlessly. But it was actually larger than the Seecamp. The real problem was the .25 ACP. It actually has less power than .22 LR. but is / was considered to be a better defensive cartridge than the .22 LR because it was / is centerfire and more reliable.

About 8oz empty vs 9-11oz for the other small .380s. For me the difference was so small I went with the bigger cartridge. Plus the P32 grips are SO thin it wasn't as pleasant to shoot for me.

Yup. you reach a point in lightness where unnoticed is still unnoticed.

My small carry gun ownership progression right after I got my CT pistol permit in 1989 was.

1) Smith and Wesson 6906 - after I bought it, "hmm. this thingis heavy and bulky. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the canvas belt and uncle mike's holster I'm carrying it with.

2) Seecamp 32 - the one gun to have when you always want to carry a gun. At least in 1990.

3) KelTec P32 - a bit larger than the Seecamp but much lighter. Such a piece of crap that I resold it before I got rid of the Seecamp. Still carried the Seecamp.

**About this time Idiscovered the joys of quality holsters and belts. So I started carrying my Kahr P9 and Glock 26 much more often in addition to the pocket guns.

4) Ruger LCP - a bit larger than the Seecamp. But lighter. Ran like a top. sights. . . at least it had something. (the seecamp has a bare slide top). Recoil was surprisingly vigorous. Trigger guard would slam into the front of my trigger finger on recoil. I bought a case of .380. I shot like 300 rounds in 5 or 6 years.

5) Kahr P380 - only marginally bigger than the LCP. Much much nicer shooting. Softer recoil. No trigger finger issues. Real sights. Feels like quality. A definite winner. The perfect pocket gun???

6) Glock 42. I got this to replace the Kahr. But it was too big to be an "always" gun. If I wasn't going to carry it in my pocket, I might as well carry my Kahr P9.
This gun however was SWEET shooting. IMHO, the best shooting glock other than the 34. (Once the original horrible connector was replaced)

I ended up selling it and keeping the Kahr.

IMNSHO - the P380 is the best pocket gun you can buy.

Hey all. This is a message out to those who may have all of what they want or need in scary firearms.

If you are set, you may want to consider this to be a great buying opportunity.

In 2013, I was able to sell some scary guns for big bucks. Like an Arsenal AK74 in post-ban trim for $2100 that I paid $400 for.
All I did was put it on Gunbroker with no reserve at $300 and it was bid up to insane levels.

I did the same with a KelTec P2000 which was bid up to $800 and a SCAR for $3600.

When all was said and done, the rush to scary guns created a VERY SOFT market for Fuddy type guns.

So with Cash in Hand, I was able to buy a fancy side by side double that I had lusted after for decades. The time was finally right.

So anyway. If you are sitting on a pile of scarry guns and have always lusted after a fuddy gun. Now may be the time to jump.
Why is a side by side a fuddy gun?

Side by sides are awesome, I dont see why anyone would need more than two rounds in a rifle chambered to kill a T-rex. If you can hit the aninal with two rounds then maybe.... OH WAIT! [laugh]

Joking aside ... side by sides are beautiful guns.

Yes, side by sides certainly are great. But they are also fuddy. There are lots of Fuddy guns.

FUDD is an insult if you are called one. It means you are politically detached and narrowminded, thinking that your bolt gun and double barrel are all anyone needs.

But those bolt guns and doubles can be works of art. Much more than any AR or striker fired polymer wondergun.

When I was in London this summer, I made sure I stopped in at both Holland and Holland and Purdey. Mind boggling. (see pics)

Depending on how far the economy goes into the toilet. The bad economy combined with availability of new guns, this may be a buying opportunity for that Python I've always wanted.

Also beautiful, but functionally infierior to a Glock 19

20190815_132625203_iOS.jpg

20190815_142142652_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't there a TV show that a couple of guys started off with something cheap/virtually worthless and through bartered exchange kept trading up?
Like an old used ACE men's pocket comb and ended up with a house or a yacht or an airplane...?

View attachment 345138
View attachment 345139

Not a show, it was real life.

One red paperclip is a website created by Canadian blogger Kyle MacDonald, who bartered his way from a single red paperclip to a house in a series of fourteen online trades over the course of a year. MacDonald was inspired by the childhood game Bigger, Better.

P32 - 7oz vs. maybe 11 or 12 for a normal polymer 380. And a light 380 at less-than-10 ounces is near uncontrollable. I had a P3AT. Sold it. Got a Bodyguard instead. Far more controllable for the 380.

I had a very early P32. It didn't always go BANG. Sent it back to KT. They fixed it up real nice. Never had an issue again.

P32 - 7oz vs. maybe 11 or 12 for a normal polymer 380. And a light 380 at less-than-10 ounces is near uncontrollable. I had a P3AT. Sold it. Got a Bodyguard instead. Far more controllable for the 380.

I had a very early P32. It didn't always go BANG. Sent it back to KT. They fixed it up real nice. Never had an issue again.

Try a Kahr P380. About the size of a P3AT. A bit heavier. 10 times more controllable. Its the best secret going. Especially since they came out with the CW380 for half the price.

Why is a side by side a fuddy gun?

Side by sides are awesome, I dont see why anyone would need more than two rounds in a rifle chambered to kill a T-rex. If you can hit the aninal with two rounds then maybe.... OH WAIT! [laugh]

Joking aside ... side by sides are beautiful guns.
if you have ever had a high powered rifle misfire, when you are hunting dangerous game, you will suddenly realize the beauty of having two completely independent (redundant) firing mechanisms in one gun.

Haven't shot a Post-Larry one but I've read stories on the webs...

if you have ever had a high powered rifle misfire, when you are hunting dangerous game, you will suddenly realize the beauty of having two completely independent (redundant) firing mechanisms in one gun.
I wasnt serious. I was trying to sound like a Fudd. I guess I need to practice.

I've never hunted dangerous game with my bird guns.

Though they are all single trigger guns. So no points for completely separate actions. Ha.

Re Seecamps. There was Larry and his father Larry. Larry SR started out making DA conversions for Colts.

When I bought my Seecamp used for $400 from Chris Dogolo of Chris Gun shop in New Haven, there was like a 3 year waiting list for new ones.

I don't know anything about the guns mad after the sale circa 2012.

Hey all. This is a message out to those who may have all of what they want or need in scary firearms.

If you are set, you may want to consider this to be a great buying opportunity.

In 2013, I was able to sell some scary guns for big bucks. Like an Arsenal AK74 in post-ban trim for $2100 that I paid $400 for.
All I did was put it on Gunbroker with no reserve at $300 and it was bid up to insane levels.

I did the same with a KelTec P2000 which was bid up to $800 and a SCAR for $3600.

When all was said and done, the rush to scary guns created a VERY SOFT market for Fuddy type guns.

So with Cash in Hand, I was able to buy a fancy side by side double that I had lusted after for decades. The time was finally right.

So anyway. If you are sitting on a pile of scarry guns and have always lusted after a fuddy gun. Now may be the time to jump.
That is exactly how I've financed my firearms collection. I buy underprice guns locally and sell them on Gunbroker for way, way more than they're worth. I don't know why it is, but people will trip over each other to overpay on Gunbroker.
I listed a Japanese Browning 45-70 falling block that I bought for $650. By the time the biding was done it sold for $1450 plus shipping.
Another weird one was a S&W 351PD. I forget what i had into it, about half of new, and I remember it sold for about $100 more than the MSRP of a brand new gun. That was a really weird one. Its not like its a rare gun, and mine had been shot extensively. I once sold a rust bucket wall hanger Sears .22 bolt gun that was unshootable and missing the front sight. I got it for free from a flea market at the end of the day and I listed it that same night on GB. There were 6 or 7 bids and it finally sold for $160!
If you're not selling on GB you're missing a good time.

Back
Top Bottom