Please school me on bugout/hunting/camping property

I'm looking at a piece of land now that has no wetlands, but does have a couple of nice sized brooks running through it. It's far enough north to be away from possible hordes, but close enough to get to in SHTF, provided I see the signs of things to come. It's very large and payments on this unimproved property would only be about $150 a month. The only problem is the only easement is down some power lines a few hundred yards. The good side to that is it's pretty much unseen by travelers. The bad side is my wife and I would like to someday retire and build on our bugout property. It abuts several other properties and I suppose there is a chance of acquiring a piece of land from one of them to gain road access. Would you guys/gals pass on a property that's for the most part landlocked?

Wetlands are a perfect buffer from rear approach , think natures moat, and when you learn them , a good escape route only you can navigate with speed.

Is there no right of way out to the property? Are there houses or cabins built up on the adjoining properties?

If the long term plan is to live there I'd find out what sort of right you would have to clear an unpaved (or even paved) road to the property.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe purchase a strip of land for access from one of the neighbors, have a logging company come in and clear out a few acres. It's big enough to have my own range.

Where did you find out about this property? I am interested in making an investment. Will you be putting any money down upfront? If you dont mind me asking.

Thanks

Where did you find out about this property? I am interested in making an investment. Will you be putting any money down upfront? If you dont mind me asking.

Thanks

I will be putting money down. I see this as at least a great place for a hunting shack or old trailer to camp out of. I'm on deployment right now, so I'm able to save a shit ton of money for such an investment. If I get it I'd like to host an NES camping, prepper, coyote hunting event for about a dozen people.

Read the deed. You should also talk to the town to see if they have any restrictions for road frontage. If you have any MLS type questions pm me and I'll see what I can find (if it's in NH).

In talks with the realtor. Looks like it's going to happen. He sent me a ton of documents on the property and there is easement. Looking at Craigslist there are a lot of decent travel trailers I could drop there as a for now hunting cabin. Trailers about 30' for $2000. They just need to be good enough to make it there and not move again. In remote places I do worry about locals, mostly kids, messing with property like this.

In talks with the realtor. Looks like it's going to happen. He sent me a ton of documents on the property and there is easement. Looking at Craigslist there are a lot of decent travel trailers I could drop there as a for now hunting cabin. Trailers about 30' for $2000. They just need to be good enough to make it there and not move again. In remote places I do worry about locals, mostly kids, messing with property like this.

Does this easement mean you'd be able to clear a path/road along it so you can reach it easier?

I have considered doing the cheap travel trailer thing, but was also debating putting up a "tool shed" instead. Tool sheds can be built to look like a little cabin, with real windows and hung doors.

And yeah, my biggest worry is locals messing with whatever I put there. My neighbors (5 of them) who have built cabins around me haven't had any vandalism problems, but I still worry about it. They do encounter idiot mud truckers tearing up the private logging roads and knocking gates down that are put there to discourage them. And idiot hunters that ignore signs and dump trash.

When you retire will you be paying completely out of pocket or taking a mortgage, it may require a perc test.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I cross and walk powerlines regularly when I hunt and always see signs of both people and animals where my camp is in western Maine. Not sure where the property of interest is located but you may get more traffic then you think.

Map out a sensible path to a public way, then talk to whoever owns the land(s) you will need to cross and see if you can purchase a right of way (ROW). If not, and the deal is good enough to spend a chunk of money in court, you may be able to argue for a ROW established through past usage (prescriptive easement, similar to adverse possession) by prior owners driving through (how did YOU access it to look?), or you may be able to succeed on a claim of constructive easement, which is the court imposing a ROW easement. If a parcel is technically landlocked, usually a court will try to find a way to grant relief by forcing whoever created the landlocked parcel to allow a right of way as necessary over abutting parcels owned by that party.

I would imagine the utility company's easement for the power lines forbids ROW easements over the same strip of land due to property damage, liability and safety concerns, so you would probably have to look elsewhere for your path to a public way.

Last edited:
Hire a good lawyer from that area or a very nearby town. He'll have a feel for the township's leanings, local politics, and may know the abbutters personally. Don't lay down a chunk of cash till you get something in writing that will give you the right to access the property. Good luck!

My neighbor owns 3' at the beginning of my property. She threatened me when I said I was going to build as she owns land I have to drive over.

I said to ask your attorney. My deed as well as hers says that I can never be denied the use of my land.

After asking a lot of questions about the property and speaking to a different realtor familiar with the property I'm passing on this one. I'll be home an three and a half months and I'm comfortable with one of the realtors to help me find a property that will fit my needs. This was 32 acres in Rumney. I looked at another in Whitefield that was 58.3 acres for $44K, but the back end was all wetlands. I'll take a smaller lot as long as it abuts state land or some type of conservation land. This will definitely also be our retirement property. I MUST be able to shoot on it.

After asking a lot of questions about the property and speaking to a different realtor familiar with the property I'm passing on this one. I'll be home an three and a half months and I'm comfortable with one of the realtors to help me find a property that will fit my needs. This was 32 acres in Rumney. I looked at another in Whitefield that was 58.3 acres for $44K, but the back end was all wetlands. I'll take a smaller lot as long as it abuts state land or some type of conservation land. This will definitely also be our retirement property. I MUST be able to shoot on it.

If you keep looking in the Rumney area, get in touch with realtor Chuck Braxton up there. He 'gets it' about looking for a remote retreat. Good luck!

If you keep looking in the Rumney area, get in touch with realtor Chuck Braxton up there. He 'gets it' about looking for a remote retreat. Good luck!
I 2nd the Chuck Braxton recommendation, He sold me my property and sold most of my neighbors property's.He knows the area very well.

I talked to that guy roughly around 10 years ago looking for land in that area. He seemed like a good guy. The lower-priced parcels he had at the time were all land-locked, except for a 1-acre he had under the power lines. I didn't really want just 1 acre under a power line. (I wonder if that parcel is still for sale... [laugh]) I eventually bought in Maine.

You might also want to check with NH_Realtor, he is a member here. I don't know if he deals with property that far north, he is from the sea coast and central NH.

nice, heading to ME this week to look on 3 properties my self, all 3 have some sort of water on it or very nearby. P{rever VT tho but haven't seen anything nice for 30 K cash price :(

I did reach out to Chuck Braxton. Thanks. I want a minimum or 12 acres and surrounded by other wooded property. With 12 acres I can use 2 to build on and still have 10 to keep in current use. If I find nothing suitable I may look to ME. I know you can get more land for less in ME.

You might also want to check with NH_Realtor, he is a member here. I don't know if he deals with property that far north, he is from the sea coast and central NH.

Thanks for the shout out. I do know the area well, we just moved down to the seacoast from the lakes region (were there for 4+ years). That being said Chuck Braxton is a good guy and really good land agent for the area so he would be a great resource as I'm not very active in that area. I'd be happy to advise or be a sounding board for any questions in the area though.

Back
Top Bottom