Police at Manchester Firing Line

Hmmm, it looks like you're not a "fugitive from justice" unless you knowingly leave the state to avoid prosecution/giving testimony...

Fugitive from justice. Any person who has fled from any State to avoid prosecution for a felony or a misdemeanor; or any person who leaves the State to avoid giving testimony in any criminal proceeding. The term also includes any person who knows that misdemeanor or felony charges are pending against such person and who leaves the State of prosecution.

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title27/27-2.0.1.2.3.2.1.1.html

Last edited:
FYI.... Everyone here that thinks "misuse of license plates" is "not a big deal" probably wouldn't feel the same way if you got in an accident with someone who was "misusing plates". Considering that you now would have to use your own insurance cause he was not covered.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.. as I run into it on a DAILY basis

Rant over..

Got a call this winter from the State police that a Jeep I sold 5+ years ago was found on the side of the road with plates which did not match on it. Turns out the guy I sold it to on Ebay never registered it or transfered the title. Wish I still had the copy of the certified letter when I mailed the title.

I told the officer what happened, hopefully that is the end of it.
But someone drove it for 5+ years with no insurance, excise tax or other payment to the state. At least it was found abandoned and not in an accident.

Hmmm, it looks like you're not a "fugitive from justice" unless you knowingly leave the state to avoid prosecution/giving testimony...

Wouldn't that definition in reality be a lot wider? It could also include anyone who missed a court date, etc, jumped bail.... so on, so forth. You don't have to flee the confines of a state to be considered a fugitive, IMHO.

-Mike

Then I guess the Fugitive Apprehension unit should stop chasing people with Massachusetts warrants?

No.... they are still Fugitives in the literal sense....just not "Fugitives from Justice" in the legal sense...I know...I know...it doesn't make sense...[banghead]

Last edited:
Wouldn't that definition in reality be a lot wider? It could also include anyone who missed a court date, etc, jumped bail.... so on, so forth. You don't have to flee the confines of a state to be considered a fugitive, IMHO.

-Mike

I could certainly understand if the distinction in the language is specific with regard to intent.

I definitely think there's a difference between someone who 'flees the jurisdiction' and someone who overslept or had car trouble on their court date.

Unfortunately it's getting tougher and tougher to treat cases like these as being different. It's pretty tough to know in serving a warrant on a person at their house etc., whether they're the hardened criminal who'll respond violently or the schmuck who think he can avoid court by not showing up.

As a result, more and more jurisdictions are using tactical teams to serve their warrants.

i think the important thing here isn't that they caught a guy who had a warrant for missing a court date related to plates, but that they got a guy for having a warrant...i guarantee you if it happened to this guy it happened to someone a wanted murderer who had a warrant, and who believed the crap that background checks aren't done with every transaction

I doubt very much that wanted murderers hang around at gun shops after being denied a purchase, waiting for the cops to come pick them up.

For that matter, I think the odds are pretty slim that they would even have made the attempt to purchase legally!

Perhaps I'm a bit slow today, but I've finally figured out what Half Cocked is saying, to wit: that for purposes of the federal form, the term "fugitive frrom justice" has been defined to mean "any person who has fled from any State to avoid prosecution for a crime or to avoid giving testimony in any criminal proceeding". 18 U.S.C. sec. 921(a)(15). This definition is both over inclusive and underinclusive, when compared to the traditional legal meaning of the term "fugitive from justice." End of discussion.

Got a call this winter from the State police that a Jeep I sold 5+ years ago was found on the side of the road with plates which did not match on it. Turns out the guy I sold it to on Ebay never registered it or transfered the title. Wish I still had the copy of the certified letter when I mailed the title.

I told the officer what happened, hopefully that is the end of it.
But someone drove it for 5+ years with no insurance, excise tax or other payment to the state. At least it was found abandoned and not in an accident.

So if the title is still in your name, pay the towing lot's lien and take it back! Then you can sell it again. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom