• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police say Pa. trooper accidentally shot wife Read

I would have to think losing his badge will be the least of his worries lol. At the very least, he has violated a dept policy as to how he disassembled his gun, and in doing so put a round in his wife's chestal region. More than likely though, he violated the dept policy that says you can't kill your wife.

The big question is what is it they charge him with. Right now they are going thru his text messages, phone calls, contact lists etc. They're interviewing friends and family, and neighbors. My guess is , shortly we will see there was marital discord, history of butthurtness etc. And my money, is that this guy has a chick on the side, thought he could take wifey out and make it look accidental, and Charlie Mike with Blondocalrissian his 18 year old chick.

Totally agree.

Still, I have a funny feeling that he gets put on unpaid leave for a bit and then he's back working at a desk...

If this was an accident as the cop says then wouldn't there be a specific pattern of gun shot residue on both of his hands? If he was clearing the firearm and it accidentally discharged then his non-shooting hand should have been near the ejection port and have a splash of GSR in a specific pattern on the palm of his non-shooting hand. If he does then maybe it was an accident or would at least imply some doubt that it was intentional. If this wasn't an accident and he wasn't smart enough to think of his GSR on his non-shooting hand then there would be no residue on the palm of his non-shooting hand and then this would clearly not be an accident or at the very least imply that is wasn't. Do the police check for GSR in cases like these?

GSR test? What is this, a 1985 crime procedural television show? Please, forget all that stuff. You'll be better off for it.

-Mike

While the guy is an idiot and has destroyed his family, lets at least let them investigate to see if it was murder before we drag him through town behind a truck and hang him at the town hall.

While the guy is an idiot and has destroyed his family, lets at least let them investigate to see if it was murder before we drag him through town behind a truck and hang him at the town hall.
Nahhhh I'm already mentally dragging!!

no fun, he should be dragged behind a truck and hung for stupidity alone, murder or not

am I the only retard that after obsessively clearing a magazine, racks the slide at least 3 times with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, then visually checks the chamber before cleaning a firearm?

Every time.
Nope. In fact that's not retarded at all. It's different though if you're trying to accidentally drill someone in the chest, in an accidental fashion, knowing you have a 50/50 shot at not going to jail for it, and knowing you can make up for the lost income because you got fired by suing Glock, for forcing you to pull the trigger to field strip the gun.

am I the only retard that after obsessively clearing a magazine, racks the slide at least 3 times with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, then visually checks the chamber before cleaning a firearm?

Every time.

An old Army instructor used to say, "There are two types of people: those who have had a NEGLIGENT discharge, and those who have not yet."

It pays to be thorough. Drop ammunition source, pull slide, observe chamber and barrel. Release slide, pull slide back again and lock to the rear. Observe the chamber and the barrel. Disassemble.

Every time.

You're not the only retard [laugh]

Oh, and I check at least twice too [wink]

But, but he is highly trained.[bs2]

They are! In everything but how to use a gun, pretty much.

Like how to kick down a door, wrassle peeps to the ground, yell "STOP RESISTING", how to hurt without leaving marks, the right codes to write down for speeding tickets, how to do and avoid doing paperwork... did I miss any?

Can some of the LEOs on here hop in on some of the non-gun training you get?

Absolutely. I hope he rots personally, because the " cleaning my gun and it went off" ( at center mass of my wife's chest, no less) is ****ing bullshit. PASP carries Glocks. So to take it apart, you pull the trigger, which I'm sure will be his defense. You watch, somehow ****ing Glock will get named in the civil suit too. How he articulates a round in the chamber and it pointed at his wife should be interesting. But correct, the 2 kids are now ****ed. Hopefully there are some grandparents or something to step in.

This article says it was NOT his duty piece. It also says she was shot in the head! One hell of a "lucky" "ND". Look at the wording in every article you can find about this. There is no "allegedly" or "he claims" or any other wording to suggest they are even going to question his story. Hell they don't even say he has been relieved of duty pending an investigation. Guaranteed he is just on bereavement time and going back to work after. This will just get swept under the rug like the others. After all we know cops are the only people qualified to own guns... [rolleyes]

http://www.newser.com/story/183546/state-trooper-accidentally-shoots-kills-pregnant-wife.html

Police say he didn't realize his .45-caliber handgun was loaded and pulled the trigger while taking it apart; the bullet hit JoAnna Miller, 34, in the head, NBC Philadelphia reports...

...Police say the unnamed husband was the one to report the incident, which did not involve his service weapon,

This article says it was NOT his duty piece. It also says she was shot in the head! One hell of a "lucky" "ND". Look at the wording in every article you can find about this. There is no "allegedly" or "he claims" or any other wording to suggest they are even going to question his story. Hell they don't even say he has been relieved of duty pending an investigation. Guaranteed he is just on bereavement time and going back to work after. This will just get swept under the rug like the others. After all we know cops are the only people qualified to own guns... [rolleyes]

http://www.newser.com/story/183546/state-trooper-accidentally-shoots-kills-pregnant-wife.html

I hadn't read that article, but I do know they carry Glock .45s.just because he claims something, doesn't mean shit as to the investigation. The article I read said upper torso, but if he in fact hit her in the head, that says it was even less of an accident. The fact that they haven't said anything about his current duty status tells you that it's not getting swept under the rug. Feel free to jump on that thin blue line bandwagon, but he's all done as an LEO.

I hadn't read that article, but I do know they carry Glock .45s.just because he claims something, doesn't mean shit as to the investigation. The article I read said upper torso, but if he in fact hit her in the head, that says it was even less of an accident. The fact that they haven't said anything about his current duty status tells you that it's not getting swept under the rug. Feel free to jump on that thin blue line bandwagon, but he's all done as an LEO.

I never said I agree with sweeping things like this under the rug. In fact I thought it was pretty clear how I felt about it especially considering the last line.."After all we know cops are the only people qualified to own guns... [rolleyes]

And I come from a PD family. I'm not saying it is right at all. But the fact is it happens all the time. Far too often especially considering once is too often. Just playing the odds alone says this just goes away quietly.

My comment about the wording in the articles, especially this early on, just points to the likelihood of them not looking in to it too deeply. News orgs. and PD are always quick to mention that the officer has been put on leave w/ or w/o out pay, blah, blah, if for no better reason than giving the appearance of "doing things by the book".

An old Army instructor used to say, "There are two types of people: those who have had a NEGLIGENT discharge, and those who have not yet."

It pays to be thorough. Drop ammunition source, pull slide, observe chamber and barrel. Release slide, pull slide back again and lock to the rear. Observe the chamber and the barrel. Disassemble.

I had my one, and hopefully only, ND as a kid. I was about 9-10 at the time at the FRPD range w/ my dad. I had just cocked his Mod.36 no-dash and was about to fire when he said something to me. I had my finger on the trigger when I lowered it to my side and turned left to look at him. BANG! The gun goes off and my father nearly shits himself. I looked down and less than 2 in from my right foot is the hole in the ground. Definitely one of those life lessons you never forget and what ultimately led to my OCD gun safety mentality.

When I clear I usually do it with my hand on top of the slide, in front of the port. Side of the gun parallel to my chest pointing down at about a 45 deg angle. I rack 3-4 times while being able to see in to the chamber on each stroke then roll it over and lock it open.

Is it a negligent discharge if you're at the range, pick up your gun, assume your stance, point the gun towards the target, disengage the mechanical safety, place your finger on the trigger and it discharges unexpectedly?

Is it a negligent discharge if you're at the range, pick up your gun, assume your stance, point the gun towards the target, disengage the mechanical safety, place your finger on the trigger and it discharges unexpectedly?

I think that is probably the only time it could actually be an AD. If it is a matter of misjudging the pressure needed to fire (SA) or taking up the slack, etc... I don't think it would qualify as a ND because it was your intention to fire and were pointing it in a safe direction, the target. You can accidentally fire a revolver plenty of times while practicing staging the DA trigger pull and never have it be negligence.

I never said I agree with sweeping things like this under the rug. In fact I thought it was pretty clear how I felt about it especially considering the last line.."After all we know cops are the only people qualified to own guns... [rolleyes]

And I come from a PD family. I'm not saying it is right at all. But the fact is it happens all the time. Far too often especially considering once is too often. Just playing the odds alone says this just goes away quietly.

My comment about the wording in the articles, especially this early on, just points to the likelihood of them not looking in to it too deeply. News orgs. and PD are always quick to mention that the officer has been put on leave w/ or w/o out pay, blah, blah, if for no better reason than giving the appearance of "doing things by the book".
Well i guess we will have to wait and see. And if you're going by the wording in the articles as your basis of knowledge pertaining to the likelihood of them not looking into it too deeply, you may want to reassess. If you're from an LE family, you know they are ripping into this guys life. I haven't seen any mention of his current duty status though.

I think that is probably the only time it could actually be an AD. If it is a matter of misjudging the pressure needed to fire (SA) or taking up the slack, etc... I don't think it would qualify as a ND because it was your intention to fire and were pointing it in a safe direction, the target. You can accidentally fire a revolver plenty of times while practicing staging the DA trigger pull and never have it be negligence.

Yeah, I'd go with AD on that one, because it was your intent to shoot something.

The thing is, to shoot someone you have to violate every safety rule AT THE SAME TIME. This is what makes it so ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom