Positive respones from state Reps

Just had a 30 minute conversation with Jim Timilty, chairman of Public Safety, he is fully in our court. He said all the bills, about 50 of them, will get a fair hearing but he is big time in favor of gun rights. He said Sen. Brewer is of like mind.

He is a very influential person on the hill and I feel he will do everything he can to bury this stuff.

Walter Timilty?
Thanks for calling and for reporting their feedback.

George Peterson
Shauna Oconnel

And others who have been mentioned like Michael Rodrigues, Barry Finegold. That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll go through my emails when I get a chance.

Just got off the phone with State Rep Fernandes. We talked for 20mins+. Unfortunately, I cannot say that he is on our side. He essentially said; I'm a constitution lawyer and know and respect 1st & 2A and the whole Constitution. However, all proposals and ideas will be left on the table and looked into. I'm roughly quoting; if there's anything that can be done to curb gun violence, he's going to look into it and if it's based in reality (ie can be backed as effective) he will have to consider it. He likened gun ownership legislature to drunk driving legislature and said the past 30 years prove that legislation has curbed drunk driving and deaths. He also quoted reports that say less guns = less gun violence. He even touted the excellent results of the Patriot Act and how it curbs terrorist acts which of course we don't know about since it's not public info. As to the exact content of the proposal, he hasn't looked into it yet.

I maintained my composure through out and respectfully disagreed. I offered my help and the help of others to partake in his "discovery" process where he's deciding if he's going to back it or not. I offered to provide him with data, studies & opinions. He was open to this and asked me to contact him as this unfolds.

Very disappointing to say the least. Also, this conversation drew my attention to something: most Reps will say they support and defend 2A, but in their mind they think it's acceptable to "reasonably" legislate and control. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of reps are telling you they're pro-2A then turn around and sign more gun control legislation.

I need a drink.

And he received an A rating and an endorsement from GOAL.
Go figure [shocked] [rolleyes] [sad2]

Don't expect much from Galvin or Joyce except for a free calendar. [smile]

I know. Joyce likes to hand out balloons during the 4th of July parades.

Here's my response from Galvin:

Thank you for your recent email regarding Governor Patrick’s proposed changes to our gun laws in Massachusetts. This issue is in the very early stages of discussion within the State Legislature. These bills have a long road to travel and will be intensely studied and the subject of numerous hearings before coming to the House floor for a vote.

Please know that I always have, and always will, protect the second amendment rights of my constituents. I do not agree with all of the restrictions proposed by Governor Patrick, and I will be working with my fellow legislators to work out a compromise. I do, however, agree that some reasonable changes should be made to ensure that those who should not have access to firearms are not purchasing them. I agree that background checks should be mandatory for anyone wishing to purchase a firearm. I also support the move to get the mental health community involved in helping to prevent gun crimes by individuals who are mentally ill. The unfortunate tragedies that occurred last year in Colorado and Connecticut were extremely disturbing and we need to look at implementing policies that will prevent future mass shootings by troubled individuals.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns regarding this important issue. Please let me know if you have any further comments or questions.

Best regards,

Bill Galvin

William C. Galvin
Massachusetts State Representative
Avon, Canton, Stoughton precincts 1,5,7,8
617-722-2582

and I will be working with my fellow legislators to work out a compromise.

I also support the move to get the mental health community involved in helping to prevent gun crimes by individuals who are mentally ill

Thanks for sharing. I don't like the "compromise" or the "mental health community" parts of his email. The latter suggests that he agrees with some of Linsky's bill, and that is not good. We need that whole thing to die a quick death.

As far as I recall Patrick's bill doesn't have anything in it about mental health? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dear Senator Donoghue,

I am writing to you as a resident of Westford and a law-abiding citizen to encourage you vote against any new bills that would further restrict the rights of the citizens of the Commonwealth as called out in the United States Constitution. Massachusetts already has among the most restrictive laws in the country with regard to firearms. Even with the expiration of the Federal AWB, Massachusetts maintained those restrictions as state law. Certain features or capacities that are available in most other states are not legal in MA. Already firearms manufacturers often need special variants of the products for selling into MA to specifically meet our unique restrictions. Interestingly, violent crime has actually decreased nationwide since the expiration of the Federal AWB, so clearly this bill did nothing to improve public safety.

The recent wave of new legislation spreading from the town level through to the federal level is a response to the horrible tragedy in CT last month. I believe there are things that can be done to improve public safety, particularly in schools, but we must continually ask ourselves whether any proposed legislation would have really helped to improve safety. Strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICS checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) are examples of actions that would be very beneficial. Unfortunately, most of what I have heard being proposed, as with the 1994 AWB, would not make any practical improvement. Instead, it would only serve to further erode the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Thank you for your time and your serious consideration.
Best Regards,

--------- REPLY ---------

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding gun control measures[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I appreciate you contacting my office regarding this particular matter and sharing your concerns with me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In light of the tragedy in Newtown, we all share a common goal of ensuring that something like this never happens again. As my colleagues and I begin preparing legislation for the upcoming session, we will be taking a close look at gun control and mental health issues in order to determine the steps we must take to prevent further tragedies. Massachusetts has some of the strictest laws relating to guns in the nation, and the majority of our gun owners carefully follow the law. Whatever legislation comes forward this session needs to make sure we do not punish our law-abiding gun owners.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (617) 722-1630.[/FONT]
GetInline.aspx
[FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]

Eileen M. Donoghue
State Senator
First Middlesex District

Just heard back from Dan Winslow, super positive
Here is what I wrote and the response

Jeff.

I agree. What the Hell??!? I will be asking the following questions in any gun debate this year: 1. Would it have prevented a tragedy like Newtown? 2. Will it stop kids from killing kids in Boston with illegal guns? I’m not interested in more feel good legislation in MA, especially when it’s not enforced. Call/email any time.

Best,

Dan

Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:49 AM
To: Linsky, David - Rep. (HOU)
Cc: Timilty, James (SEN); Rogers, John - Rep. (HOU); Winslow, Daniel -Rep (HOU); McMurtry, Paul - Rep. (HOU); Kafka, Louis - Rep. (HOU); Jeff Kuhner; [email protected];
Subject: Gun Law violators getting probation in Worcester

I want to say "what the hell " I thought there was a Bartley-Fox law that said 1 year mandatory sentence for even possessing an illegal gun, let alone using it in a crime.

Here is Worcester giving out probations to criminals? If you or I had an unregistered gun we would go to jail but criminals are skating. How are tougher laws going to help if the current ones aren't enforced.

You are proposing tougher gun laws but this state is not enforcing the gun laws we have! If the criminals are laughing at you right now how are passing more laws going to change that? We need to enforce the laws we have before we think about passing more laws that will only impact law-abiding citizens!

Please share with your fellow Legislators!

Worcester Superior Court

Judge Janet Kenton-Walker
Brandon Conway, 20, of 9 Elm St., Auburn, was placed on probation for 3 years after pleading guilty to home invasion, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (handgun), and armed robbery (handgun). As conditions of probation, he was ordered to remain drug- and alcohol-free, to submit to random drug tests, to remain in school or employed, to have no direct or indirect contact with the victims, and to pay $90 victim witness fee, $65 probation fee.

Jeremy Lavallee, 20, of 29 Cedar St., Auburn, was placed on probation for 3 years after pleading guilty to home invasion, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (handgun), and armed robbery (handgun). As conditions of probation, he was ordered to remain drug- and alcohol-free, to submit to random drug tests, to remain in school or employed, to have no direct or indirect contact with the victims, and to pay $90 victim witness fee, $65 probation fee.

COURTRECORDS - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

From another member in another thread:

Originally Posted by Glock23ONME
My reps response to my email (used one goal posted on twitter)

Thank you for writing with your concerns about the proposed gun control legislation here in Massachusetts. As a citizen with a Class A License to Carry, I certainly understand that a knee-jerk reaction punishing lawful and responsible firearms owners and creating new barriers to ownership will not prevent tragedies like the one in Newtown, CT.
Out of all ten amendments in the Bill of Rights, only the Second Amendment ends with a clause stating "This right shall not be infringed". Clearly, this was of great importance to our founding fathers. Massachusetts presently has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. I don't believe that further restricting the rights of lawful and responsible owners will make us any safer.
I also want to let you know I'm working in conjunction with Representative Peterson to co-sponsor the GOAL legislation. As an elected official it's my job to speak on behalf of my constituents, so I want to thank you again for taking the time to share your input; and assure you that your voice is being heard on Beacon Hill.
Yours Truly,
Jay Barrows

Response from Paul Mark State Rep.

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your advocacy.

As a GOAL endorsed legislator, I fully intend to support the 2nd Amendment and ensure that law abiding gun owners are included in the discussion that the Governor has started. This will be a long process and it is important that we reach out to our friends and relatives in the eastern part of the state and ask them to contact their representatives and senators as well.

Contact me anytime with questions or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Paul Mark

State Representative
Second Berkshire District

Representing 16 Communities in Berkshire and Franklin Counties.
Massachusetts State House

Room 473F

Reply from Stan Rosenberg:

Thank you for your email about gun related legislation. This is just the beginning of what I expect to be a very challenging and contentious debate. Please be assured that I will take the same approach as I have throughout my career on legislation in this area as I do in all others. I will jump to no conclusions. I will carefully consider all sides of any proposals that come before us. I value hearing from you on this and will keep your opinions in mind as I do my homework on the proposals before us.

Thanks again for taking the time to be in touch with me to let me know how strongly you feel about the issue and why.

Stan

Back
Top Bottom