Post your trail camera shots here, and scouting reports

So I figured we could start a thread with some shots from trail cameras, and scouting reports.

Last night after supper I went to a prospective hunting spot. I have been looking at this place on google maps. Well, I got out of my car and started up a path. Right away I jumped three bucks. One was at least an 8, and I couldn’t tell if the other was an 8 as well, but one was defiantly a spike. It got me pretty excited. Also, I walked a little further and saw two does. They all ran down the same path then cut into the woods at the same place. Turns out there were a bunch of huge oak trees and a water source within 100 yards. I just need to check and see if I am 500 feet away from this house.

I am getting a trail camera this weekend and will post some pictures when I get them.

Ha ha, man I bought a new camera put it out at one of my spots. I came back to it a week later to find 160 pictures on. I was pumped to see them. However, when I got back to the house, and loaded them, I found that ALL of them were whited out. I was pissed. But I put another camera out last sunday and am going to get it this weekend. It should have some nice pictures on it.

Yup! Nah the picture was just all white. I think it was a crappy camera. It was cheap, but I upgraded it anyway.

The 160 zapped pix are just aliens messing with you. You aren't missing about 6 hours of the day you retrieved the camera are you? Does your "backdoor" hurt inexplicably?

JR

F#%King wise guys... We shall see Sunday when I go get my camera. Where are your trail shots? post'em up

Okay I am guessing that my trail camera that I got has a crappy trigger. I went out to my camera on Saturday, and when I came up to it I sa a deer about 50 yards down trail from it, when it saw me it took off towards my camera. Well, I figured I had at leat on picutre from atleast this deer, but when I checked the camera there were no pictures.

Lesson learned don't buy a camera from dicks. I bought the most expensive one, and it still had a slow trigger on it.

What kind is it? I have a Moultrie that works great. I had a stealth cam that sucked big time.

yeah after a mile hike in 90 degree weather I almost threw mine in the swamp. I called customer service, and they said there was no way to adjust the trigger. They said it was set for four seconds. Unless I put it over a bait bucket there is no way a deer is going to sit there for 4 seconds. I even pointed the thing up trail.

Although they were on the expensive side I think the Cuddyback no-flash are some of the best trail cameras. They sell a "bear safe" steel box that is locked with a cable as well as bolts to the tree. The camera is locked into the box.

I know that anything can be stolen if the crook wants it bad enough but I have piece of mind leaving the cams in the woods for 3 months at a time. The pics are great and the video feature is nice too. Plus they are infra-red so nobody will get a bead on the location due to strobe.

Some of the best advice I have been given is to put the cams in the woods and forget they exist. I only go to them to swap out the sd card and put in new batts.

These don't eat batteries like other models. I have had one camera on post for almost four months now and when I get pics I will let you know how long the batts. lasted and how many pics and vids are recorded.

Anybody know if you can hack into one of these? I know someone who has one, and we'd love to load it up with pictures of him mowing his lawn, at work, at his gun club, etc. and then put it back up. That, or we're going to carry a canoe over our heads past it, dress up as a gorilla/sasquatch for it, etc. Thanks.

yeah, it is the stealth cam. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the trigger on it?

You cannot adjust the triggers. They are a hard preset. What you can do is face them in a direction that the animal is framed longer to get the picture. Such as on a trial set place the camera facing at a 45 degree angle up or down the trail instead of perpendicular to it. This way the animal will be in the sensors path long enough to fire the camera and get him on film.

Or you could place a little curiosity scent or food infront of the camera to stop the animals.

You cannot adjust the triggers. They are a hard preset. What you can do is face them in a direction that the animal is framed longer to get the picture. Such as on a trial set place the camera facing at a 45 degree angle up or down the trail instead of perpendicular to it. This way the animal will be in the sensors path long enough to fire the camera and get him on film.

Or you could place a little curiosity scent or food infront of the camera to stop the animals.

Honestly, thats what I did. I personally think it takes way to long, over the four seconds they stated. When I came up to the camera I walked real slow up the trail to see if I could spot the deer I jumped. The only picutre that processed was the one were I was right in front of the picture. The cam had about thirty yards of trail. The thing is a POS. Don't buy one.

Depending on what the trigger circuit is, a hot soldering iron and some small parts may do it.

Not usually. On the cheaper digtal cameras the minimum trigger time is limited by the camera. Most go into a sleep mode to conserve battery life. When an animal hits the sensor the camera must first be awakened and then the shutter has to be fired. The best bets are to build your own using sony P32 or other varients. You can build them for about 150 bucks and they have a trigger time of under 2 seconds. I have built a few, a little daunting at first but not really that hard once you have done it.

I use older 35 mm cams in most of my spots. Reason being is there is no sleep mode. Once the flash capacitor is charged they go off almost instantaneously.

Not usually. On the cheaper digtal cameras the minimum trigger time is limited by the camera. Most go into a sleep mode to conserve battery life. When an animal hits the sensor the camera must first be awakened and then the shutter has to be fired. The best bets are to build your own using sony P32 or other varients. You can build them for about 150 bucks and they have a trigger time of under 2 seconds. I have built a few, a little daunting at first but not really that hard once you have done it.

I use older 35 mm cams in most of my spots. Reason being is there is no sleep mode. Once the flash capacitor is charged they go off almost instantaneously.
Interesting food for thought. Thanks.
I'll have to look for a junk one to tinker with.

Interesting food for thought. Thanks.
I'll have to look for a junk one to tinker with.

youcan mess around with mine, because it is junk, and if you get it working great, if you don't well, it saved me a trip to the trash can

I had bought a Multree cam and never got it to work. I exchanged it at Walmart and that one didnt work. Called factory and they were really nice and send me a new one and two rechargable batteries free. That camera didn't work either. They said it worked off heat to trigger it and I had stood in front of it in the snow with my jacket off and cigaratte lighter lit and then it finally went off. I have that cam now sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I bought a cheap Wild View cam at Dicks and I was happy with that till something shorted out inside. You could smell the burn wires smell from it so I just trashed it. I have seen Bushnell is making a small one that looks good but I havent seen a price on it. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I am going to leave in the woods where it may get stolen. Here are some pics I got about a month ago with the Wild View I was satisfied on what I got for the money spent on camera.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/GarryAnderson/assorted pics/SUNP0028.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/GarryAnderson/assorted pics/SUNP0026.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/GarryAnderson/assorted pics/SUNP0025.jpg

Copy and post here the URL with the
Boxes.

The XXX is where the pic URL goes.

Ok what do I have to select on Photbucket for them to just show up on post and not have to click on them?

Ok what do I have to select on Photbucket for them to just show up on post and not have to click on them?

Hover your cursor over the thumbnail but do not click on it. Below the thumbnail 4 code boxes will appear. The bottom one is the image code. Left click on it and it should notify you that you have copied the code. Then just paste it into your posts. If it does not copy when you left click on it then right click to highlight it and then select copy.

SUNP0013.jpg

SUNP0021.jpg

SUNP0051.jpg

The shot where you can see the bricks was with the camera leaning against the front door. I think if we had left the door open they would have walked inside. These were taken in West Newbury at my Moms house. There is over 300 feet to the next house or street but not the 500 feet needed now. I had video taped 14 deer at one time eating the bushes there. My wife, brother and next door neighbor all got Lyme deasease no wonder why.
Thanks ARLOW and SemiAutoSam now if I can just remember how to do it 5 min from now :)

Last edited:
There is a balcony at the house there and I do shoot bow and I was very tempted but afraid that if it ran into a neighbors yard the **** may hit the fan. Don't want to give anyone the excuse to ban me from hunting. I will say that anything in the driveway will be run over with out hesitation. What gets me the most is all the time I have spent in the woods of NH in a tree stand seeing nothing just to see them run around like dogs in West Newbury.

Back
Top Bottom