Powder Measures?

I am in need of a new powder measure.the one i have is of unknown brand and so old i dont think parts are available for it.my question is what suggestions do any of you have for a good measure that works well with extruded{stick}powders and ball or flake type powders?
or is there one type that works better with ball/flake powders and one that works better with extruded powders?
any suggestions would be great.

The RCBS Uniflow is about as close to "The Standard Powder Measure" as you can get ($60-$70). Redding also makes a good one ($100).
All measures work better with ball/flake powders: I don't think one is any better than another. I don't know of any that don't cut or crunch stick powders.
You can take a big step up and get a Harrel's, but they start at around $250. Never tried one, but at that price, it better be good.

All measures work better with ball/flake powders: I don't think one is any better than another. I don't know of any that don't cut or crunch stick powders.

Not true... My Lee powder measure works equally accurate with ball or stick powder. I have not put flake powder through it, because all the flake powder I use goes in my progressive. Also it is specifically designed to NOT crunch or break extruded powders.

I've also had good luck overall with my RCBS Uniflow, but for large-grain rifle powders, especially if I'm working at maximum loads or being extra fussy with target loads, I always throw a light charge and then bring it up to exact weight on the scale with a powder trickler.

I wasn't satisfied with its performance with very light pistol charges, even with small-grain ball powders (I use 1.8 grains of W231 in my 32 S&W Long target loads, and that's tough for the Uniflow, even with the smaller cylinder), so recently added a Redding 10-X, which is designed for that sort of thing. It's notably more consistent, but would be too small for most rifle cartridges.

With the lee measure does it give consistence throws within +/-.1 with stick powders?

As long as you're consistent with your operation of the powder measure. For instance, when you set the measure and get the measure you want by smoothly moving the action, but then when you go to actually start dumping the charge, you slam the lever so it firmly hits the stop, you will be compacting the charge, you will get more of a difference.

To sum it up though, I have faith enough in my Lee powder measure that I reload my rifle cases with only checking ever 5th or 6th case for accurate charges.

I've had excellent results with my RCBS Uniflow. I don't weigh and trickle my short-range match loads (out to 300) I just dump and seat. As long as you're smooth each time it will dump w/in +/- .1 grains.

I think every measure out there will throw stick powders to within .1 gr +/- when used methodically. Some people don't like that "crunching" feeling when using long stick powders like 4064. I've never used a LEE, so I can't compare it.
I dump all my short line stuff with the Dillon. Works really well with RE15. I use the RCBS for the 600yd stuff. It also works well enough with RE15 that I don't trickle it. I just dump them and make sure I keep the hopper filled.

Last edited:
There are a couple tricks to consistent charge throwing with any powder measure. The first is consistency of operation. I always raise the handle (exposing the cavity to the powder) with a distinct (but not hard) knock, then down with a distinct knock, then back away just a hair and give it a second knock. Use the same technique when throwing into the scale pan as you use when throwing into the cartridge cases.

Second, do not allow the powder in the hopper to get too low; I always refill before it gets halfway down.

Third, when first filling the hopper, throw a bunch of charges back into the powder container. This allows the powder in the hopper to settle and achieve the density that it will more or less conistently hold through the charging operation. When first filled, the hopper contents are much less dense than this, and if you set the measure by the first few throws, you will be overcharging later.

Fourth, and this may be controversial, but I always weigh every 20th charge. I have found that sometimes the lock ring on the screw has worked loose and the charge has varied. By weighing every 20th charge, the most I have to dump out and do over is 20 rounds.

powder measure

I have a friend who is biased against Lee products, but has said their perfect powder measure is as accurate as he has seen. The plastic wiper wears and then it becomes inacurate. I bought a new Harrels just this past week for a friend getting into bench rest shooting. Stole it for $100 at rileys including the bench stand! On close inspection, it looks just like a large version of the old #55 lyman with the adjustable barrel. Just dressed up really fancy to draw the extra money. You can find the #55s around used for $20 to $35 at rileys and KTP.

Back
Top Bottom