Practical Shotgun Oct 3 Wallum Lake R&G

Practical Shotgun
Oct 3
wallum lake rod and gun club
$25 entry
6 stages rd count tbd (120-150) all falling steel targets
#6shot 3 1/4dram max

sign in begins at 8am, shooters meeting by 8:45, 1st shots by 9am

pre reg not required but appreciated (60 shooters max)

open- is open
limited- 9 max in gun to start, no optics. ports/comps mags or speed loaders
pump- same as limited but pump action

chamber flags chamber flags chamber flags chamber flags chamber flags CHAMBER FLAGS!!!!!

for match question [email protected]

for club info and directions please see the walls of steel web page

Last edited:
to answer some questions ive been asked....

no slugs or buck at this match

no slings needed

all targets will fall with 1oz lite loads thru a cyl bore

this is the day before fall walls so the targets and placement will be the same for the next day with a few minor changes. however unlike the walls matches there will be movement by the shooter.

Is this in the club calendar?

Will be there

- - - Updated - - -

Will be there.

Is this in the club calendar?

I'm interested, my son and I haven't fired our shotgun since the Action Shotgun match at New Bedford last year.

-Cuz

Spent the morning at the club with Jim finishing stage designs. Here are some more answers to questions I've been asked.
There will be 25 targets per stage. BUT.... there are lots of opportunities for doubles, triples and even quads.
There is movement on all but one stage and we will have at least one table on each stage to load from if u don't have enough carriers.
All stages will start loaded to division capacity. (we will be preloading as a group at the beginning of each stage).
Start position for each stage will be.. looking at first target with front sight directly between ur eye and target with butt of shotgun touching ur strong side anyplace below the armpit to the waist line.
There are NO no shoots and NO hardcover.
There will be no kneeling or prone.
All targets are hinged steel knock over and will fall with lite loads.
Yes this is a great match to shoot if u are new to practical shotgun.

I think that covers it. let me know if i missed anything

I'm interested in signing up my self & my brother-in-law
send me an email

what kind of carriers are optimal for a first-timer?
anything that holds shells. A trap bag works fine. there will be a table u can leave a box of shells on. dont over think it and dont go out and buy something just for this match. show up look at what everyone else is using, if u see something u like ask if u can try it.

I'd appreciate any help I can get, equipment too.

Never had to reload on the clock before, so this should be an interesting dynamic

#6 is the largest shot allowed. 7 1/2 and 8 will be sufficient. In one of the posts it says light target loads with a cylinder bore will take the targets down.

Stages are all set up. Jim took some pics, not sure if he got them on the WOS page yet.

We will be shooting thru tomorrow to work out any issues. Saturday morning, rain or shine, sign up will start at 8am by 8:30, 8:45 at the latest we will be doing a shooters meeting. By 9 I want to be shooting.
Please remember your chamber flags. If you do not have one please let us know so we can get you one.
Bring food and water as we will not be stopping for lunch

I posted some pics on Walls of Steel Facebook page for anyone interested.

We will have food at the club after the match. The cook shack will be open.

Will there be an orientation ahead of time to get people familiar with the style of shooting? I have never shot in this discipline before and I don't fully understand how the design of the stages work and what the order of targets you shoot at is.

I am looking at getting into action shooting and picked up an ELS belt over the summer with some shell holders, now I am going to give it a run and see how it performs.

Since I have bulk #7 1/2 from trap shooting, I most likely will be running that through IC chokes. As previously mentioned, if #9 can take these down, I see no reason #7 1/2's can't either.

The only question is about "movement" and is it referring to a moving target, or an actual clay flying through the air as I have see on other YouTube practical shotgun videos.

Will there be an orientation ahead of time to get people familiar with the style of shooting? I have never shot in this discipline before and I don't fully understand how the design of the stages work and what the order of targets you shoot at is.

I am looking at getting into action shooting and picked up an ELS belt over the summer with some shell holders, now I am going to give it a run and see how it performs.

Since I have bulk #7 1/2 from trap shooting, I most likely will be running that through IC chokes. As previously mentioned, if #9 can take these down, I see no reason #7 1/2's can't either.

The only question is about "movement" and is it referring to a moving target, or an actual clay flying through the air as I have see on other YouTube practical shotgun videos.

For this match, the movement is by the shooter, to be able to see and shoot targets. It's all knockdown steel, no clays that I'm aware of.

A fun yet challenging match today. Some light mist, but no rain. Those that decided not to shoot missed some fun.
Thanks to the Wallum Lake crew that put the match on. If you run another, I'll be there.

Back
Top Bottom