• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preban AR Lower Question

I'm asking these question in the state of Massachusetts

If I buy a preban ar lower then put a mag release button lock on it to fix a 10 round mag to it, making it a low capacity rifle. Then after a period of time, I remove the mag release button lock to make the lower accept and release the mag like normal, making it a large capacity rifle.
Would it be legal to do that ? and would the lower still have it preban privilege?
or fixing and removing the mag release button lock consider 'manufacture' and make the preban lower lose it privilege?

I know it sound stupid but I'm still waiting for my FID to send to me, and with the upcoming, my last hope is the 'grandfather' and trying to get some AR before it too late.

And if the upcoming laws going to pass, I'm assuming frame transfer will be dead not only that lower and upper assembly will be consider firearms and the sense of 'preban' after the laws passed will not only apply to the lower but both upper and lower. Hopefully there will be grandfathering for the current legal guns.
Get a sks, m1garand or mini14, then move out of Massachusetts first chance you have..... run ok

Get a sks, m1garand or mini14, then move out of Massachusetts first chance you have..... run ok
I know, those rifles are on my list but I don't have unlimited mount of money right now and right now is the critical time to made a plan and decision because I probably gonna receive my license right before the laws would pass

If all of us would run then who would stay to die 🫡

I know, those rifles are on my list but I don't have unlimited mount of money right now and right now is the critical time to made a plan and decision because I probably gonna receive my license right before the laws would pass

If you want this fixed then move to a swing state and work towards keeping dems out of the white house and senate in the next election.
Keeping a conservative majority in SCOTUS is infinitely more important than the current sissy fit Mass is having over Bruen.

If you want this fixed then move to a swing state and work towards keeping dems out of the white house and senate in the next election.
Keeping a conservative majority in SCOTUS is infinitely more important than the current sissy fit Mass is having over Bruen.
right, but i couldn't really do anything right now, but still trying to get something before it too late

thanks

No one need u to stay here and die,you will do more damage to Massachusetts by moving out and build your life some where else. What ever money you have buy ammo(after you get your fid)as it will only cost more in the furture, when you get to a free state you buy what ever you want.

right, but i couldn't really do anything right now, but still trying to do something before it too late

thanks
The preban option, while costly, will be open when you get your LTC - there is nothing in the current bill that changes that.
There also will be people who need cash and have grandfathered guns.

The preban option, while costly, will be open when you get your LTC - there is nothing in the current bill that changes that.
There also will be people who need cash and have grandfathered guns.
Are you up to the current date ( serious, I'm not mocking or anything) there will be new laws that going to pass and highly likely to flip the current laws upside down.
Sure there will be someone selling their gun after the disaster but at what costs, I'm broke

Here is the summary

More heart attack

No one need u to stay here and die,you will do more damage to Massachusetts by moving out and build your life some where else. What ever money you have buy ammo(after you get your fid)as it will only cost more in the furture, when you get to a free state you buy what ever you want.
sir yes sir

I'm asking these question in the state of Massachusetts

If I buy a preban ar lower then put a mag release button lock on it to fix a 10 round mag to it, making it a low capacity rifle. Then after a period of time, I remove the mag release button lock to make the lower accept and release the mag like normal, making it a large capacity rifle.
Would it be legal to do that ? and would the lower still have it preban privilege?
or fixing and removing the mag release button lock consider 'manufacture' and make the preban lower lose it privilege?

I know it sound stupid but I'm still waiting for my FID to send to me, and with the upcoming, my last hope is the 'grandfather' and trying to get some AR before it too late.

And if the upcoming laws going to pass, I'm assuming frame transfer will be dead not only that lower and upper assembly will be consider firearms and the sense of 'preban' after the laws passed will not only apply to the lower but both upper and lower. Hopefully there will be grandfathering for the current legal guns.
Buy the preban lower if you can, put it in a safe until you’re 21, Sell the lower and then use that money to move to a better state.
Fr though, you can do whatever you want to it, if it’s Pre 94 it’s pre 94. You can have a gunsmith do whatever you want to your rifle, as they can undo any work you want done to your rifle.

Buy the preban lower if you can, put it in a safe until you’re 21, Sell the lower and then use that money to move to a better state.
Fr though, you can do whatever you want to it, if it’s Pre 94 it’s pre 94. You can have a gunsmith do whatever you want to your rifle, as they can undo any work you want done to your rifle.
yep, my concern was that MA laws at the current time doesn't consider lower a firearms, so does that made a lower lose it preban privilege when you fix the mag thus consider manufacture a new lower.

have to read this https://www.mass.gov/doc/501-cmr-7-approved-weapon-rosters/download
CMR 7.02

That gave legal definition to the MGL.

Along with the AWB of course

Not trying to debating or anything, but different people in the state have different level understanding of the laws, and I don't think it is right for me to waste my time on this topic because it has been talk about alots on this forum and on r/MAGuns too.

Thanks.
Depends on what your definition of "readily modifiable" means I suppose.

If you can get someone to sell you a lower that's awesome. I don't imagine many shops would

Semiauto isn't legal on an FID so unless you meant LTC you're boned.

But in regards to the magazine, even if you have it fixed you still need to follow the AWB feature test.
Ummm

FID is limited to non-large capacity, not to manual action. Both the 10/22 and M1 are legal on an FID. In fact, a Mini-14 is legal IFF they aren't in possession of LCFDs.

Ummm

FID is limited to non-large capacity, not to manual action. Both the 10/22 and M1 are legal on an FID. In fact, a Mini-14 is legal IFF they aren't in possession of LCFDs.
I've heard the opposite of mini 14s. As they are capable of accepting large capacity feeding devices they would be considered large capacity. Same as an AR or AK

bruh, semi auto with FID is legal if it comply with AWB or preban

NO, if you have a fixed 10 round mag lower, you can have all the feature you want. If it is a preban lower then you can have all the feature you want.

My question is would the action of fixing the mag consider manufacture a new lower and thus revoke the preban privilege.
"Bruh"

I feel like I'm in Bill and Ted's excellent adventure.

Dude, like you aren't gonna find any bruhs on this site. Peace out. Light up a fatty. It's all good man.

If you can get someone to sell you a lower that's awesome. I don't imagine many shops would
of course no ffl would transfer me a lower because the lower is anything but a long gun, so that a no for anyone under 21. But i know shop who have federal manufacturing license who can assemble and transfer them as a long gun.

Isn't the 527 CMR 7.02 gave a very clear legal definition of what is 'readily modifiable' ?

I've heard the opposite of mini 14s. As they are capable of accepting large capacity feeding devices they would be considered large capacity. Same as an AR or AK
If a firearms is on this list https://www.mass.gov/doc/large-capacity-firearms-roster-1/download
Then they're automatically consider large capacity
If not then is it legal under 527 CMR 7.02, people said it's intended for mini14s and 10/22 and the intend of the laws is what held up in court
But of course people are skeptical
But some ffl are not only transfer mini14s, 10/22 but also HK SL8 to FID holder

Isn't the 527 CMR 7.02 gave a very clear legal definition of what is 'readily modifiable' ?
Not in my opinion. If you know someone who will sell to you that's awesome and I'll throw some business their way. Fyi there is typical NES case law on this very issue 🤣

Back
Top Bottom