• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preban AR Lower Question

I'm asking these question in the state of Massachusetts

If I buy a preban ar lower then put a mag release button lock on it to fix a 10 round mag to it, making it a low capacity rifle. Then after a period of time, I remove the mag release button lock to make the lower accept and release the mag like normal, making it a large capacity rifle.
Would it be legal to do that ? and would the lower still have it preban privilege?
or fixing and removing the mag release button lock consider 'manufacture' and make the preban lower lose it privilege?

I know it sound stupid but I'm still waiting for my FID to send to me, and with the upcoming, my last hope is the 'grandfather' and trying to get some AR before it too late.

And if the upcoming laws going to pass, I'm assuming frame transfer will be dead not only that lower and upper assembly will be consider firearms and the sense of 'preban' after the laws passed will not only apply to the lower but both upper and lower. Hopefully there will be grandfathering for the current legal guns.

Last edited:
Cat Fun GIF by Black Roses Playing Cards

Semiauto isn't legal on an FID so unless you meant LTC you're boned.

But in regards to the magazine, even if you have it fixed you still need to follow the AWB feature test.
bruh, semi auto with FID is legal if it comply with AWB or preban

NO, if you have a fixed 10 round mag lower, you can have all the feature you want. If it is a preban lower then you can have all the feature you want.

My question is would the action of fixing the mag consider manufacture a new lower and thus revoke the preban privilege.

Last edited:
Why in f***'s name would you consider doing that to a pre-ban?
because I can't get a preban without fixing the mag before I turn 21, you want me to sit here and doing nothing before the laws going to pass and then pay a ton of money for a grandfathering ar in the state ?
If the laws going to pass it will likely affect the preban privilege because its will consider upper and lower assembly a firearms, so last hope would be grandfathering

Last edited:
bruh, semi auto with FID is legal if it comply with AWB or preban

because I can't get a preban without fixing the mag before I turn 21, you want me to sit here and doing nothing before the laws going to pass and then pay a sh!t ton of money for a grandfathering ar in the state ?
If the laws going to pass it will likely affect the preban privilege because its will consider upper and lower assembly a firearms, so last hope would be grandfathering

Didn't realize you weren't 21 yet, sorry about that. It is good to see that you're trying to get out in front of it, I don't know the intricacies of what you can or can't get w/ an FID being under 21. Good luck!

Didn't realize you weren't 21 yet, sorry about that. It is good to see that you're trying to get out in front of it, I don't know the intricacies of what you can or can't get w/ an FID being under 21. Good luck!
I tried getting my license right after Bruen, thoughts it would be a nice start, then more disaster is coming in the state

it's not semi auto that is the issue it's the fact that its designed to accept large capacity magazines
have to read this https://www.mass.gov/doc/501-cmr-7-approved-weapon-rosters/download
CMR 7.02

That gave legal definition to the MGL.

Along with the AWB of course

Not trying to debating or anything, but different people in the state have different level understanding of the laws, and I don't think it is right for me to waste my time on this topic because it has been talk about alots on this forum and on r/MAGuns too.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom