Prep of The Day Thread

Anyone tasted the Bishop's Storehouse food yet, or only put it away for a rainy day...???

Anyone tasted the Bishop's Storehouse food yet, or only put it away for a rainy day...???
Good question!

Hopefully people are sample testing their stash before piling it up. When you're to the point of eating "emergency" food, you want to be able to say "Mmmmm this is good," not "oh this sucks"[puke]..... while looking at a closet or basement full of it.[laugh]

I haven't tested any of it (haven't received it yet). But it is just dried black beans, dried carrots, dried onions, dried great northern beans, hard red wheat, hard white wheat, quick oats, regular oats, white rice, and flour.

I agree that if you get a freeze dried prepared meal that you should make sure it is edible before laying in stores. The Bishop stuff is just dry goods, ingredients to make a meal. I guess they could f*ck that up but I am not sure how. I plan to just store them when they arrive.

I haven't tested any of it (haven't received it yet). But it is just dried black beans, dried carrots, dried onions, dried great northern beans, hard red wheat, hard white wheat, quick oats, regular oats, white rice, and flour.

I agree that if you get a freeze dried prepared meal that you should make sure it is edible before laying in stores. The Bishop stuff is just dry goods, ingredients to make a meal. I guess they could f*ck that up but I am not sure how. I plan to just store them when they arrive.

This. All the prepared stuff I’ve purchased (mountain house, ready wise, etc) I’ve tried one to check it out.

But dry goods are dry good. Try to buy em cheap and stack em deep

Having antibiotics is important. There are much cheaper ways though. This is $265 for a few doses of a few kinds.

By comparison, online/India you can pick up, for example:

Ivermectin 12mg x 300 Tablets = $60
Doxycycline 100mg x 100 Tablets = $20
Express shipping = $35

Having antibiotics is important. There are much cheaper ways though. This is $265 for a few doses of a few kinds.

By comparison, online/India you can pick up, for example:

Ivermectin 12mg x 300 Tablets = $60
Doxycycline 100mg x 100 Tablets = $20
Express shipping = $35

Linky-link-link?

I know some people stock fish antibiotics from Tractor Supply for their aquariums, and veterinary supply stores are good places to pick up VetWrap (coban) on the cheap — this service is actually prescribed by a doctor and the medicine bottles have your name and dosing information if you were to fly with them for travel, for example…

But if you have a link for an alternative source, please PM or post it… India is a pretty big place…

Linky-link-link?

I know some people stock fish antibiotics from Tractor Supply for their aquariums, and veterinary supply stores are good places to pick up VetWrap (coban) on the cheap — this service is actually prescribed by a doctor and the medicine bottles have your name and dosing information if you were to fly with them for travel, for example…

But if you have a link for an alternative source, please PM or post it… India is a pretty big place…
One starting point is the IndiaMart app. Post what you’re looking for. Vendors / manufacturers respond with bids. Your mileage may vary.

One starting point is the IndiaMart app. Post what you’re looking for. Vendors / manufacturers respond with bids. Your mileage may vary.

Ummmm…. I think I’m gonna pass. Personally I’m sketched out by restaurant QR code’s for menus, so I’m not so keen on posting an international WTB for black market meds from the dark web.

I’m curious if you (or anyone else) has used that successfully? or if that was a just a helpful/not-so-helpful suggestion… (I.e., not for me but good for you…) Like this:

I zeroed my new Swampfox Trihawk today. That scope gets the APFSDS seal of approval. Love the reticle and the glass is awesome, especially for the price.

Also, I guess I don't think of this as prepping, but it definitely is. I lifted weights and did a ~3 mile hike with my dog. I hike every day (this area is great for that) and lift weights 2x a week. I let fitness go a bit when I moved here, but I got a home gym setup a few months ago and have been religious about getting back into and staying in shape. I used to trail run a few times a week in NC, and now that the snow is melted I will start up again.

Good question!

Hopefully people are sample testing their stash before piling it up. When you're to the point of eating "emergency" food, you want to be able to say "Mmmmm this is good," not "oh this sucks"[puke]..... while looking at a closet or basement full of it.[laugh]
If you're mixing it in some rotation now yes.
If this is strictly "damn we're down to the freeze dried stuff or tree bark" it won't matter.
Somewhere in between I would still try at least the meal types. Probably something like pancake mix or eggs as well to see how it works with your baking or recipes.

The spaghetti bites are great. Just like store. Spaghetti, cut about 3” long.

guys ordering online are paying $5 more per can. If your in Ma. And getting a decent amount, drive there.
go with a friend and split the gas and both get 12 cases

Attachments

• 019AF362-30A5-495F-8836-3A4988B3B8A0.jpeg
    019AF362-30A5-495F-8836-3A4988B3B8A0.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

IMHO, the best post in this entire thread. Great link MtnGuy.

Duration Health is who we used.I thought they were the only ones. They may have been a Year ago. Duration Health | Emergency Medical Kit
We added EPI too, Clindamycin ( deep tissue wounds like dog bites, infected tooth, stab wound) Zofran, Tamiflu.
it drove up the price. I think Duration health base price was $349? The medications and bag is outstanding. Very well done.
MtnGuy makes a great point, these are prescribed to you so each bottle has your name on it. I believe to be legal you need to have that, generally speaking If your pulled over.

When it comes to India, they supply a lot of our medications here and around the world. No problem there.
The problem is a lot of those websites are selling bogus meds.
if you do some research you will see antibiotics offered in weird doses.
Why the heck do they have Doxycycline in 325mg and every other seller / manufacture has it in 100mg?
One big tip off is if the website is heavily advertising ED drugs, ( again, sometimes in weird dosages) and trying to add free ED drugs to your order. NO thank you.
Another thing is use a pill guide. Some of those sites will show you pics of the pills their selling. Enter that into a online pill guide. Your gonna see they don’t come up. That’s because their fake.

Cost will be a distant concern when you can’t get these and need them.

Last edited:
IMHO, the best post in this entire thread. Great link MtnGuy.

Duration Health is who we used.I thought they were the only ones. They may have been a Year ago. Duration Health | Emergency Medical Kit
We added EPI too, Clindamycin ( deep tissue wounds like dog bites, infected tooth, stab wound) Zofran, Tamiflu.
it drove up the price. I think Duration health base price was $349? The medications and bag is outstanding. Very well done.
MtnGuy makes a great point, these are prescribed to you so each bottle has your name on it. I believe to be legal you need to have that, generally speaking If your pulled over.

When it comes to India, they supply a lot of our medications here and around the world. No problem there.
Why the heck do they have Doxycycline in 325mg and every other seller / manufacture has it in 100mg?
One big tip off is if the website is heavily advertising ED drugs, ( again, sometimes in weird dosages) and trying to add free ED drugs to your order. NO thank you.
Another thing is use a pill guide. Some of those sites will show you pics of the pills their selling. Enter that into a online pill guide. Your gonna see they don’t come up. That’s because their fake.

There are plenty of local plants that provide antibiotic action even to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Instead of stacking, I learned how to live off the land. It’s how we used to live when we were free.

It’s how we will need to live to be free again.

Bogus meds are definitely something to be on guard about. There are a lot of scammers out there. Checking a pill guide is essential, as is doing a little digging on common dosing and dosage forms. For popular/high profit meds even that may not save you - there are counterfeiters making large money off of look-alikes. FYI, supply chain security is a big deal for pharmacies and hospitals in this country.

As far as India goes, they do have some QC issues. Meds from India are the 3rd most recalled according to the FDA. The US and Canada are numbers 1 & 2 on that list. Part of the reason for that, though, is not all of the companies included are true manufacturers. Many are repackagers or custom compounding shops serving niche markets. You tend to get more issues with cleanliness, cross-contamination, or mis-labeling there. The US has a high number of these companies and that throws off the numbers a bit. So, upshot - IF you have a choice to source foreign made from not-India, you may want to consider doing so. Countries of origin I would prefer: Germany, Spain, UK, Switzerland. Probably Canada, but I haven't seen enough info yet to be sure of where their numbers are coming from.

There are plenty of local plants that provide antibiotic action even to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Instead of stacking, I learned how to live off the land. It’s how we used to live when we were free.

It’s how we will need to live to be free again.
I am a firm believer in natural medicine AND conventional.
I was on a wild food walk w / someone last season on this forum. I was reading Russ Cohens book last night.
Like everything else, I look at it as a balance.
Why limit myself to just conventional meds when many plants have medicinal property’s? Eventually, all stored meds will Run out.
But on the other hand, why not have conventional medication at your disposal. Wild plants may not be available or be over harvested. Or covered in fallout.

In same way I would not limit my food supply to just stored food but also know how to forage, hunt, fish, sprout, dehydrate and grow stuff too.
Sometimes our ignorance and can cause prejudices. I want to be open to as many methods or ways to fix a problem as possible.

Last edited:
My natural medicinal / foods library. You probably can’t read the spine but The book on top is the one that started it all for me. “ Stalking the wild asparagus”

Most of those books were free at library recycling bins and tag sales or $4-5 at used book shops. A few were full price.

Attachments

• 8377A6D2-4603-4155-9B3E-8E92CCD9BFC1.jpeg
    8377A6D2-4603-4155-9B3E-8E92CCD9BFC1.jpeg
    615.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Does anyone on here own a geiger counter? They don't seem to be every expensive and I think it might be a decent thing to own.
About 8 years ago I bought the NukAlert-er from www.NukAlert.com It cost about $800. They claim that it will never get saturated when exposed to high levels of radiation, like what will happen to Geiger counters. It will read levels from normal background levels up to 600R/hr

For the last 4 years their website has stated that they have restricted sales to Government agencies only. Now it states that they are out of stock and they are not taking orders, although you can still see their advertisement for it on their website.

So now I'm unsure if I should feel lucky that I bought it when I did, or maybe they discontinued it because it is a piece of crap that doesn't work.
I'm going to email them to find out.

With all the talk about nuclear fallout, I thought I would mention Cresson Kearny's book - Nuclear war survival skills-. It is free on line, just google his name.
Cresson spent most of his life working at the Oakridge National Laboratory, perfecting ways for Americans to expediently build fallout shelters.

Any idea what the shelf life of these meds are?

This is what the company says on expiration dates:

1D6A207B-3BBB-4360-BCA8-CA303601F62F.jpeg

The only medication I’m aware of that should not be taken past expiration is Tylenol/acetaminophen (and medications containing acetaminophen) because it becomes liver toxic.

This is what the company says on expiration dates:

View attachment 592662

The only medication I’m aware of that should not be taken past expiration is Tylenol/acetaminophen (and medications containing acetaminophen) because it becomes liver toxic.
My Lyme doc told me not to take Doxycycline or tetracycline too far past the exp date because they can be toxic. But we keep some in the freezer. Thinking that will help.

My Lyme doc told me not to take Doxycycline or tetracycline too far past the exp date because they can be toxic. But we keep some in the freezer. Thinking that will help.
Do you have them in tablets or capsules? I think tablet form is a little better for storage. Doxycycline in tablet form is in the Strategic National Stockpile. The expiration dates on those batches have been extended multiple times. At some point they will just be less effective but so far so good on that.

Toxicity from old tetracycline is still debated. The reports of that were few and from considerable time ago. Modern manufacture of tetracycline is probably just fine. All the same I wouldn't take it as far past the expiration date as I would doxycycline (since that's been tested thoroughly).

But the thing that everyone stresses is 100% true: Store medications in a COOL, DRY, DARK place. All three are important. We even keep our extra bottles of vitamins, ibuprofen, etc in the basement in a closed box. I don't think storing in a freezer is better. Have you opened any of the frozen containers? Is there condensation on the inside?

I currently store my extra meds in a clean/new ammo can, however when I get the Jase med pack, I plan to put all my meds in a pelican case for storage with a desiccant pack.

I also just ordered a copy of this book based on our discussion. If anyone has India-import meds or meds for their pets, I want to be sure I know what I’m using if someone hands me a bottle.

The Pill Book (15th Edition): New and Revised 15th Edition (Pill Book (Mass Market Paper)) Amazon product ASIN 0553593560View: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0553593560/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_232F8YE0N3RES09THACV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have them in tablets or capsules? I think tablet form is a little better for storage. Doxycycline in tablet form is in the Strategic National Stockpile. The expiration dates on those batches have been extended multiple times. At some point they will just be less effective but so far so good on that.

Toxicity from old tetracycline is still debated. The reports of that were few and from considerable time ago. Modern manufacture of tetracycline is probably just fine. All the same I wouldn't take it as far past the expiration date as I would doxycycline (since that's been tested thoroughly).

But the thing that everyone stresses is 100% true: Store medications in a COOL, DRY, DARK place. All three are important. We even keep our extra bottles of vitamins, ibuprofen, etc in the basement in a closed box. I don't think storing in a freezer is better. Have you opened any of the frozen containers? Is there condensation on the inside?
I had wondered about condensation. I checked one med and no condensation. That one likely doesn't need to be in there. All the doxy is capsules. I'll have to find it and check it out. Maybe an ammo box in the basement would be better.

The doc could have been going off old info. I have taken it 2
years past the exp date. I just thought it might be a little weaker but the doc was like OMG don't do that! And said all others are OK

About 8 years ago I bought the NukAlert-er from www.NukAlert.com It cost about $800. They claim that it will never get saturated when exposed to high levels of radiation, like what will happen to Geiger counters. It will read levels from normal background levels up to 600R/hr

For the last 4 years their website has stated that they have restricted sales to Government agencies only. Now it states that they are out of stock and they are not taking orders, although you can still see their advertisement for it on their website.

So now I'm unsure if I should feel lucky that I bought it when I did, or maybe they discontinued it because it is a piece of crap that doesn't work.
I'm going to email them to find out.
I have heard that nearly all PPE stocks related to nuclear response has been bought up by government agencies, including stocks of things like MRE's, hazmat suits, etc. They may not be able to get components to make more, but the only to government sales thing is a bit odd. If you get an answer please post.

Back
Top Bottom